Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TSX Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My car is having a hard time turning over, especially in the morning. Hooked up a meter and it reads at 10.1 when the car is off and when I turn over it dips to 7 and back up to 14.2 when the car is running. I'm assuming the alternator is fine since it's charging at a constant 14.2 (+-0.2). I hooked up a battery charger to it and turned on the car and it turned over no problem. It seems like my car needs a new battery. Acura wants $165+taxes to install a new battery. What kinda battery should I get? I keep reading mixed reviews on the Optima's so I'm not too sure what to purchase.

Thanks!

Jon

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
3,260 Posts
you're better off buying one from your local auto store and doing it yourself. It's your choice, other than that I personally use bosch.

Batteries goes for around 85-110.

·
TSX Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I'm in Toronto area right now. I was thinking maybe go to Costco to see what they have unless one of you guys can suggest somewhere else and what brand/model? Also, if I were to go from OEM to something else, what size or whatever would I be looking for?

-Jon

·
pedal damn it
2,876 Posts
Thanks.

I'm in Toronto area right now. I was thinking maybe go to Costco to see what they have unless one of you guys can suggest somewhere else and what brand/model? Also, if I were to go from OEM to something else, what size or whatever would I be looking for?

-Jon
Yes...Costco.

I believe it's a Kirkland 51R. I think I paid like $65 w/ old battery trade in. Best deal out there IMO.

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
volts mean nothing on a battery, its your CCAs that matter, a batter can read 14v but only have 2 CCA and thats no where even close enough to start a car lol. I love my optima, they have a 3 year warnty and its the only battery that will run my subs for 30 min with out any issues. but if your still covered just bring her in and get it replaced for free:)

oh and CCA means cold cranking amps

when it comes to batteries amps are the torque and volts are the HP, the torque gets things going (amps start the car) and the hp keeps it going (volts keep the car on)

·
TSX Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think my battery is the original one which means that its got 96k on it or so. Is there any warranty still on the battery?

·
pedal damn it
2,876 Posts
Considering ur car is an 09 then I would take it to the dealer and have them replace it under warranty if applicable.

If not, the Costco one has 500-550 cold cranking amps if I'm not mistaken.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts
Ive read good reviews about kirkland and ac delco. I just bought an ac delco a couple weeks ago for about $70 with the old battery.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
couple of weeks ago, I took my car in for an oil change and during their inspection, my battery failed. They gave me a new one because they said it's still on warranty. Mine you I running 65K, and I thought my warranty is done (4 yrs or 50K) unless there is a different warranty that i'm not aware of??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts