Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I picked up a silver 2012 Special Edition 6MT on Friday with 5 miles on the odometer. 310 on the clock so far, can't wait to get some free time to put more fun miles on it. Seats are very comfortable, engine and transmission are a great match, averaging 27MPG in mixed freeway/city driving so far according to the readout, and I'm not grannying it by any means. Very happy so far. It will be a daily and will transport the Woman and 6 year old, they both love the car. I had a turbocharged Subaru that I bought new in 2007 and did a good amount of work too, this car is quite a change. Hope to learn and contribute on here, I'm a bit of a car/motorcycle enthusiast.

Stan

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Congrats and Welcome. Excellent pictures. Drove around San Francisco in our tsx 3 Yrs ago. Enjoy and many miles of safe driving.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. We are lucky to have lots of driving roads in the area -- awesome twisties with elevation changes, close to sea level (perfect for N/A cars), etc. We also have a good amount of crappy drivers in San Francisco, as well as some really crappy roads, so city driving can get pretty interesting. The front double-wishbone suspension was an important factor in choosing this car, it helps with ride quality.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Welcome, car looks sharp :tu:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.

Burned through my first tank, 400 miles on 15 gallons, display showed 26.7MPG average which seems accurate and very impressive to me. This tank included a good amount of hammering in the twisties, some freeway and some city driving.

This car is freakin' sweet, I am loving every second of it. Chassi is awesome, there is no flex at all and all you feel is tires and shocks, which are actually pretty good! I spent countless hours and thousands of dollars on making my Subaru handle and ride well and am a bit of a suspension freak, this car is night and day from a Subaru in design and quality of chassi setup.

Stan

·
wine em, dine em, cl9 em
940 Posts
hi stan! welcome and beautiful car. if you can make time, we will be having a bay area gathering/BBQ soon. keep an eye on the regional section. probably at the san leandro marina.

btw, where exactly did you take those pics?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. I'll watch the local forums and will try to show up for a meet as time permits, that would be pretty neat. I've been somewhat active in local meets and stuff with my previous cars -- aircooled VW, Miata and Subaru.

I bought the car in Santa Rosa and took the long way back to San Francisco via north bay back roads, that's when I snapped those pictures. This was probably somewhere close to Dillon Beach.

Stan

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey Stan! Stan from sf.org! Welcome. There are now 3 Subaru Forester defactors on this forum that I'm aware of, you and I being 2 of them.

For me the change after 4 years with the XT was a good one....my primary reason was to funnel some money into the house I was building...after a bunch of research, a used TSX was my pick. Obviously I miss the power of the VF39. But the TSX (mine is a 1st gen) has a luxury/comfort aspect that the Subaru wasn't even close to. And the engine and tranny are so dang smooth, it is in some ways more enjoyable to drive and rev than the Scooby was. Not to mention 28mpg average. I've done a few mods to mine to bring it to a more acceptable level of power and handling. I'm enjoying it.

Very nice car you have there. Why'd you sell the Scooby? More impressions on the TSX?

Jeff

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey! Small world.

Actually, I got the idea about buying a TSX from seeing your post of buying one. I always thought our goals for a daily driver were pretty similar.

Yes, power-wise it's nowhere near the VF43-powered monstrosity I had. Reason I sold the Forester is because it was aging with 81K on the odometer, belts were squeaking etc -- it was either sink the $2,000+ into timing belt/idlers/whatever and commit to owning it for a while longer, or sell it now while it was still worth something. Car was mostly being used as a dog hauler or long trip runner, I was dailying a '94 LS400. I chose to sell it. I picked up a '99 Volvo XC70 wagon for the dog.

Main reasons for getting this car were reliability, comfort, decent mileage and overall package for the money. You and I know the FXT was an awesome vehicle, but look at how much money we sunk into the things trying to improve them, ultimately trying to make them something they were never meant to be? The Acura is perfectly fine as-is in every regard. The chassi is so well engineered and put together, Subaru is a twisting rattlebox compared to this car, at least so far. Perfect stock wheel size (17x.7.5 with 225/50s), perfect height, suspension isn't too stiff or too soft -- the car is set up very well out of the box, and is very comfortable and roomy inside. It was kind of a no-brainer.

Stan

·
Co-Driver
670 Posts
I was actually thinking of buying a 2.5xt but for the price it was just too much of a rattle box for me and just didn't feel like a quality vehicle. Gas mileage wasn't the greatest either.. I average at least 30 in my tsx.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey! Small world.

Actually, I got the idea about buying a TSX from seeing your post of buying one. I always thought our goals for a daily driver were pretty similar.Stan
Wow, that is a trip for sure. I kinda felt stupid posting that, like "who cares?" Glad I inspired you. The FXT was my desire to go very fast without paying for in on insurance. For me the TSX was all about the one car I found that seemed to be (and is, after driving for nearly a year) the perfect blend of reliability, comfort, performance, style, and fuel economy.

Yes, power-wise it's nowhere near the VF43-powered monstrosity I had. You and I know the FXT was an awesome vehicle, but look at how much money we sunk into the things trying to improve them, ultimately trying to make them something they were never meant to be? The Acura is perfectly fine as-is in every regard. The chassi is so well engineered and put together, Subaru is a twisting rattlebox compared to this car, at least so far. Perfect stock wheel size (17x.7.5 with 225/50s), perfect height, suspension isn't too stiff or too soft -- the car is set up very well out of the box, and is very comfortable and roomy inside. It was kind of a no-brainer.

Stan
My FXT was quite nice by the end, but still nothing like the TSX in terms of luxury and "tight" feeling. To the TSX I've done a few suspension things and added about 30HP with some mods that freed up some of the power; the 5-7.5k rpm range now has some decent pull.

I think the bottom line for me was about the same - it was time for a bit more of a grown up car.

Glad you're here Stan!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome! I am jealous! I have been scouring the internet searching for a Silver Moon SE with a manual transmission in California and have always come up empty... 2 whites ones, 1 red one, and 6 black ones in every search for the last month or two! Congrats on the beautiful new car. I hope to be celebrating in my own new purchase in the coming month.

·
未来へと
2,253 Posts
Welcome, nice car. I might see you around soon in SF because I'll be moving up there for school (SFSU)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts