Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, It was tough but I finally got rid of my last 3 Series. A few weeks ago I picked up an 06/TSX with 58K. The car had some minor wheel shimmy when braking. Since buying it I put on 4K and now the shimmy is annoying enough for me to fix. I am a DIY guy. My BMW experience would tell me I have a bad lower control arm/bushing. Which on a 3 series is a pretty easy R&R. In reading the TSX posts I am wondering if my problem is front rotors. 58K seems awfully early for bushings/control arms. The car had alignment, front pads and new tires in the past year. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
318 Posts
If it is only during braking I would definitely think bad rotors. New OEM rotors and pads are cheap and easy to swap! I would not resurface... for me it always ends up coming back shortly after, so i always get new rotors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave, Pretty sure I have eliminated bushings. Soon as I get a warmer weekend I am going to do Brakes and Rotors. I haven't taken any TSX pics yet. I will send a few of my BMW. I saw it yesterday at the Grocery Store new owner loves it. Yea I will have another. BMW's are like Civics here around the beltway. lots of bargains available

·
Registered
422 Posts
i always preach this on threads like this - have a good shop do an on-car brake lathe. my oem rotors were so bad i was afraid of braking, especially on downhills. i got new brake pads and the dealer did an on-car brake lathe. ~55,000 miles later, i'm still on the same set of pads and rotors and not a single shudder...

·
Registered
318 Posts
An on-car lathe may lead to better results than mine... I brought my rotors to a shop and they resurfaced them. They were smooth as silk until a few months later, the shudder returned. Apparently some rotors can develop a high spot memory or something like that. New rotors solved my problem for good though! Anyhow, good luck :)

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Dave, Pretty sure I have eliminated bushings. Soon as I get a warmer weekend I am going to do Brakes and Rotors. I haven't taken any TSX pics yet. I will send a few of my BMW. I saw it yesterday at the Grocery Store new owner loves it. Yea I will have another. BMW's are like Civics here around the beltway. lots of bargains available
Ahh, well go with new brakes then! Thats good to know your car is in good hands! I have a soft spot for bmw's... I always hated working on them, but love to drive. We have a Off and on relationship. Right now its OFF because im timing my M52TU with dual vanos and its a 81tch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.