Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
From RSX to TSX.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

New to the forum and new TSX in the driveway. Looks sick, drives well, but the sound is lacking. My RSX Type S that I just totaled before I had before the TSX had a ballin' stock sound system and I never had to worry about sound or learn much about it. I'm new to this whole sound thing so I was hoping you could help me out.

Here are the issues:
- Front door speakers rattle - not sure if the speakers are blown or if the panels are rattling but its not good
- any significant volume causes the bass to bottom out and get distorted
- the sound isn't crisp or very loud. Can't turn it up to high anyways because the base will bottom out. Even on negative bass.

Needless to say I need this rectified. I have some questions I hope you guys can help me with.

First off, I've done the research on the site through other various threads and I'm still confused so I'm starting my own thread.

1) How many speakers are in the car and what are their locations? I understand their are 2 "tweeters" which are the speakers in the dash? I don't think I wanna mess with those. Then there are the 2 speakers in the front door panels. These I guess are 6'5 inch or something? Definitely want to upgrade these. Then are there 2 in the back door panels I think that are also 6.5". Then finally there are the 2 6x9 speakers/subs in the back. Is that all right?

2) What are spacers and will the make my car look aftermarket and not OEM/stock? I want to avoid having it looked modded if I can.

3) What speakers are the best value? How would I order the proper ones? I don't want to break the bank and I don't need a completely badass speaker set up either. It can't be badass without a bigger/secondary amp. I've seen names like Alpine Type S and Inifniti thrown out there. Which one has the best value and will leave my car looking stock? Custom fabrication not optimal.

4) What is an acceptable install fee? I'm not going to do this myself.

5) What kind of difference will just new quality speakers make with just the stock amp? Will I lose volume? Will I get better bass?

6) Is there a way to have an aux port and XM radio hooked up at the same time? My TsX is an 05 and only has XM. I've watched videos and it looks like you have to disconnect the XM to plug in the aux port.

7). What is an approx overall cost to upgrade the door speakers and the 6x9 speakers?

That's a lot of question so I understand if you only want to answer a couple. Just new to this and want to make sure I buy the right speakers that will help my sound/bass quality and not make my car look too modded.

Thanks in advance for the help!

LOWN

·
Registered
68 Posts
*Some of these concepts are difficult to explain in a few sentences.

(2)Tweeters in dash (plays high frequencies only. these rarely sound "blown")
(2) 6.5" Front Door speakers (plays full range frequencies)
(2) 6.5" Rear Door speakers (plays full range frequencies)
(2) 6x9 Speakers in Rear deck (They act as subwoofers, playing low frequencies only)

2. Spacers are just a wooden or plastic ring that allows you to mount new speakers and space them out & away from the door. The factory speakers have a kind of "built in" spacer and you may have to recreate this by combining your aftermarket speakers with spacers.

http://i.seimg.net/images/745/main/sg600dx.jpg

3. *Speaker selection is kind of a grey area in the sense that what sounds good to you may not sound good to others. (I would go out to best buy and listen to the speakers on display and then make a decision based on what you hear/like). The most important thing is RMS power ratings and forget "max" power values. A properly powered speaker will sound better than an underpowered speaker, and I would stick with a mid to entry level speaker from a good brand like alpine, pioneer, etc. The speakers get mounted behind the door panels and the door panel covers it so it still looks factory.

4. shop around your area and see what kind of quotes you get for the labor. no more than say 75$ to install a set of speakers/spacers.

5. Factory speakers handle approx. 15 watts RMS. *Aftermarket speakers will handle more power, but unless powered properly, they will lack bass and sound high pitched. There will still be distortion mainly due to the lack of power from the factory amp. I changed out my speakers and I lost the midrange "richness" but I gained clearer louder high range sounds and the solution is more power/amp.

6. ??? im sure there is a writeup on this somewhere.

- Speakers $_______
- Spacers $15 (pair)
- Installation $50-75$
(you will not need rear spacers for the 6x9s)

·
From RSX to TSX.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to supply all of that info ******. I appreciate it, for real. I am bummed to hear you say that upgrading the speakers might not actually give me better overall sound experience. I don't want to lose any range in sound really. I can only hope that the experience in other threads on this site that talk about the great positive change in sound quality happen for me.

Guess I'm on the fence no of whether to upgrade or not now. Maybe I'll upgrade the just the 6x9s to stop the bass from bottoming out and put the rest towards a new tv.

Question though, I see a bunch of different type of Alpine Type S speakers. SPS 609, SPS 619, 2 way, 3 way. Not sure which ones I would need.

·
Registered
68 Posts
*The rear 6x9s are only receiving low frequency signals from the factory amp as they are designed to act like subwoofers. They do not receive mids or highs and therefore they will not play them. So look for a speaker with a low frequency response capable of playing some of those low frequencies.

If you arent going to upgrade the amp, look into these. They play lower frequencies than the alpines and they handle 60W RMS vs 85W RMS compared to the Alpines.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+6%22+x+9%22+3-Way+Speaker+with+HOP/Aramid+Fiber+Cones+%28Pair%29/1982098.p?id=1218304514978&skuId=1982098

I don't want to discourage you from replacing your blown speakers, a new speaker will always sound better than a blown one. But I also noticed a loss in midrange "richness". Part of this is going from a speaker without a dedicated tweeter, to a speaker with a dedicated tweeter which will sound much clearer in the high frequencies.

Keep in mind, everything you read about audio systems is all subjective - and I am biased because after installing car audio systems for 10 years, I am used to having some decent audio systems. I have heard countless audio systems and power makes a BIG difference. Go listen to some speakers and decide for yourself.

The concept I wanted to get across is that the factory system is weak. Maybe 15-20 watts RMS per channel. As you get an aftermarket speaker that handles more power, you will notice that the speaker is underpowered. The better the aftermarket speaker, the more pronounced this difference will be - which is why I recommend entry to mid level speakers. For example, take a look at the magnet on the factory speaker vs Alpine type S aftermarket speaker. Think about how much more power it will take to get the aftermarket speaker moving. (Magnet size does not really work that way, but I use this example to get the point across.)

·
From RSX to TSX.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel ya man. I'm starting to get it.

I think I might just get two Alpine Type S 6x9 and leave the other 6 speakers stock and see how that sounds. Is that a good idea?

Is there a best place to buy from? A link perhaps?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just a note, when I first got my car, if the front speakers got nay bass, that would make a weird sound, not quite blown, but not quite a rattle. I took off the door panel and pulled the speaker away from the door and using something flat, I stuff ripped up pieces of shirt in the gap. Got rid of all my bad sounds and haven't had a problem since, even at max volume.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You will probably be happy with any new speakers - especially if your current speakers are "blown". I suggested the sonys because they are good sounding speakers at a really low price, and they play a little lower frequencies than the alpines.

As far as RMS power, the sonys will be "less underpowered" than the alpines. Assuming the factory amp pushes 20W, the sonys will be receiving 33% of the power they were designed to handle, where the alpines will be receiving 23% of the power they were designed to handle.

20W / 60W = 33%
20W / 85W = 23%

Keep in mind this is "theory" and the actual acoustic output may be very similar. Given the fact you are only sending low frequencies, you may not be able to tell a difference between the sonys and the alpines or any other decent speaker for that matter. If we were talking about sending the full range of frequencies, the alpines would be marginally better. Is that worth twice the price? You should listen to both and decide.

·
From RSX to TSX.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn ******. I'm glad you're helping me out. This is a lot of info.

Which ones do you have? I'm on the verge of buying the Sony's. Its 40 bucks plus free shipping. That's nothing. Would I be able to put Alpine in the door speakers later if I put the Sony's in the back? Would having two different brands mess things up?

Thanks again man. I'd be lost without you guys' help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having different brands will not be a problem. I have all different brand stuff and it sounds great. The rear speaker grills are held in with plastic clips and they just pop off. There are (4) 8mm screws the hold down the speakers, and they are the easiest speakers to install.

·
From RSX to TSX.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the Sony speakers in the mail yesterday and will be putting them in the TSX myself after work today. Hoping everything goes and sounds well.

Did run into an issue yesterday though. I was coming home from work yesterday, listening to my music loud of course, and out of nowhere the sound cut out and the head unit turned off. The HU would crank back up and the music would start up again after just a few seconds. This happened 2 or 3 times until I shut the car off for 5 minutes or so. It didn't return after that but I also have not been bumping my music as loud since. What gives? Wiring issue? HU issue? Hope its nothing...

·
From RSX to TSX.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just opened the box of speakers and brought it to my car. Unplugged the clip that clipped the stock speakers to the amp....

Wtf?!?! These speakers don't clip! They just have the wires with the quick slide terminals on one side. Tried to see if the clip from the TSX amp would just clip to the speaker. Nope.

What is going on? I thought all you had to do was unclip one and clip in the other?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Cut and splice into clips that came w new speakers and your good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
68 Posts
FYI - aftermarket speakers do not include vehicle specific harnesses. You can cut and splice using the supplied universal harness (*make sure you get the positive and negative wiring correct) or buy the harnesses for your application at any stereo shop or bby etc.

·
From RSX to TSX.
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sony Xplod speakers are in. No issues with install.

I have to say I'm disappointed. They don't sound like I anticipated. The bass definitely doesn't hit as hard as it did with the stock speakers. Also, during certain song with very deep base, the sound like they are bottoming out. Not sure if they are being over or under powered. Either way I'm going to trade them in and probably get Alpine Type Ss. Gotta pay to play.

Ill keep you guys posted.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.