Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running 18x9 +40 and I just recently had them put on the car to see how they look...However the front do not clear my brake calipers. The spokes hit the caliper by like 3mm.

So when I bolted them onto the car it almost sat flush against the rotor but not enough to where the rim would spin because the spokes were stuck against caliper...

So my question is how thick of a spacer do i need to clear the calipers? 5mm?

I'm trying to keep my offset high meaning I dont want much of a pull to my fenders. However, if needed, I will do what it takes to make the fit.:sure:

What do you guys recommend?

*UPDATE 4/27*

So I did extensive research on putting on this 5mm spacer to solve the problem. I came across this thread...Im anal i know, its my money and i want to make sure i get the right fit...

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-wheels/14464-wheel-spacer-shim.html

His new pads did make a difference in the space you have to clear the caliper.

This trick also works with figuring out the one of the big questions of which spacer should I run to be "flush"?

So my solution to really figuring out how much of a spacer i really need is taking a deck of cards and printing out a ruler because i dont have a ruler with a metric side.

Printed out my cheap ruler made sure it was correct so i used a meausring tape to see if its accurate.

Then you take the cards and pull out as many cards you need to make the 5mm shim. I put two more cards because they'll compress even more.

Tape them up and stick it against the rotor. The more shims the more accurate.

haha

Put your lug nuts on a tight to make room for error

It looks like 7mm put its acutally 6mm of space between my caliper and rim.

To figure out fitment you can place the jack down slowly to where the tire hits the floor just enough to compress the coils... BE F*CKING CAREFUL

·
pedal damn it
2,901 Posts
I'm running 18x9 +40 and I just recently had them put on the car to see how they look...However the front do not clear my brake calipers. The spokes hit the caliper by like 3mm.

So when I bolted them onto the car it almost sat flush against the rotor but not enough to where the rim would spin because the spokes were stuck against caliper...

So my question is how thick of a spacer do i need to clear the calipers? 5mm?

I'm trying to keep my offset high meaning I dont want much of a pull to my fenders. However, if needed, I will do what it takes to make the fit.:sure:

What do you guys recommend?
If u know for a fact that it is indeed 3mm then I suppose u can just run a spacer that size, but u leave urself little to no room for error. I would run 5mm just to have a little bit of room to spare and for ease of mind. And I would do all four corners for uniformity.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.

I just did some more research and I guess i have to take in account whether my pads are old or new. If old then i need to make room for "error" like you said SLIKRIK. Which means more spacer. On the other hand if new pads i can throw in the smallest spacer possible.

So...I guess i have to take in account how thick NEW brake pads are.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Vancouver
9,175 Posts
Just run a spacer. I ran a 3mm spacer and now I have a 1mm clearance on my Brakes. It's fine!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oem, which is why I was noided. BBK would be a for sure spacer ha

I dont know, imma throw a spacer see what happens. Im leaning towards 10 or 5mm in front and 15 in back...

I dont want too much of a poke.Im trying to get it square all around. Ill probably get a better sense of what spacers to run if they had tires and I put it off the stands

Front view

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah maybe, i dont really know...

Maybe its because the lip is kinda big and the face is flat not concave...

Or maybe because there meant for the rears ONLY haha

i just cant wait to get these fitted! im dying

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
5mm spacers will do the job... Get all four done... Also if your gonna run 10mm or 15mm spacer your at +30 or +25 offset so wheels might be poking out... Goodluck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5mm spacers will do the job... Get all four done... Also if your gonna run 10mm or 15mm spacer your at +30 or +25 offset so wheels might be poking out... Goodluck
thanks, yeah 5mm is ideal. Now i just have to figure out how to remove the current studs in the front because it looks like i have to remove the hub which i dont want to do or dont know how to ha(im just lazy)... Which is why i leaning towards the 15mm all around now which is bolt on (ichiba v2)= pulling fenders more... im in a pickle

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Yea it's a bitch... I had to run 15mm spacer to clear my bbk stoptech in order to run mugen gp wheels ... But it was well worth it ... I bought a set of arp extended studs and I'm good with only 3mm between caliper and spokes.... Good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea it's a bitch... I had to run 15mm spacer to clear my bbk stoptech in order to run mugen gp wheels ... But it was well worth it ... I bought a set of arp extended studs and I'm good with only 3mm between caliper and spokes.... Good luck
may i ask if you replaced the bearings on the hub when replacing the studs on the front. I know you dont have to remove the hub for the back. it seems like a pain in the front...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts

·
-
1,695 Posts
So my solution to really figuring out how much of a spacer i really need is taking a deck of cards and printing out a ruler because i dont have a ruler with a metric side.

Tape them up and stick it against the rotor. The more shims the more accurate.

haha

Put your lug nuts on a tight to make room for error

It looks like 7mm put its acutally 6mm of space between my caliper and rim.

To figure out fitment you can place the jack down slowly to where the tire hits the floor just enough to compress the coils...

I know you're young & learning but playing cards & paper rulers are not the way to go.

The best way to measure what spacer width you need is by using a stack of steel washers on three or more of the wheel studs.
Then pick up a good steel ruler or caliper to measure the thickness of the washer stack that gives you the clearance needed.
Allow more than 1mm wheel to caliper clearance.

Many have ground a SMALL amount off the calipers but you can't just take a grinder to them. What about all the metal dust & shavings?
What about if you ever have to replace a caliper?

And don't lower your new wheel on the ground to check for fitment before mounting a tire. Cut a half circle in a large wooden block, cover it with heavy rags & then lower your car.
Make sure you have the ride height set correctly.

·
-
1,695 Posts
umm..brake pads will make no difference in the spacing between the caliper and the wheel spoke. Caliper size WILL make a difference (stoptech/brembo/oem).

It depends on the type of caliper. Most calipers these days, including the OEM TSX calipers, are floating not fixed.

The calipers float or move to accomodate brake pad thickness.
With new (thicker) brake pads the calipers will move towards the wheel.
As the brake pads wear (get thinner) the caliper will move towards the rotor, away from the wheel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts