Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the wagon ('14 TSX) on a 165 mile run today. First real trip of any length. Every thing else has been around town.

The Pros:

It cruises very nicely, comfortably, anywhere from 65 to 75 mph, which is fine. Thats where I'll be most of the time anyway. An extra gear would be nice, but it's not mission critical .

It's plenty powerful when you need it. Engine is not a torque monster, but it winds out nicely.

Great gas mileage! 36.6mpg for the trip, running 62 - 68 mph most of the time.. Even if the computer is optimistic (they often are), it's stll pretty good.

The Cons:

- Sales guy told me the dealer put new rubber on the car. I'm beginning to question that.. Tires are Yokohama Tornantes, 225/50/R17, plenty of tread, but they are NOISY. The car itself is reasonably quiet, but tire noise is pronounced, and increases with speed. I am very tempted to replace them, its annoying, but don't really want to spend the $.

Anyone had experience with these? Any suggestions if I do buck up and replace them? I don't drive aggressively these days, so outright grip is not a big issue. Just want a comfortable, capable, long wearing, QUIET tire. Especially for road trips.

The headlights are just OK. Would prefer better. Night vision ain't what it used to be. Open to suggestions as to replacement bulbs. Light up the night.

Still looking for window deflectors/ visors to fit the wagon . Small items, but a big issue, trying to keep interior temps down for the dog during summer months. Ventilation the rest of the year.

If I can get some details ironed out, think I've got the right car.

Thanks in advance for any assistance rendered

Garth

·
Registered
463 Posts
The TSX's don't have a ton of sound insulation, so the ride is pretty loud regardless. Road noise at high speed is an issue for those tires, however.

I had Pilot Sports on my '09 at some point, and they performed fairly well. Quiet enough while lasting a long time.

·
Registered
2008 auto TSX CGP
555 Posts
Those tires are known for being long lasting so comfort, noise and performance are at the bottom end. If you want quieter tires look for something that is more performance oriented, HR rated or better. This means you'll get less miles but they'll be more quieter, grip better and more comfortable. Being that the TSX is front wheel drive the car begs for more performance oriented tires in general. You'll get less front tire spin and squeal. Since I don't know your environment take this advice with a grain of salt and consider your environment and needs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The TSX's don't have a ton of sound insulation, so the ride is pretty loud regardless. Road noise at high speed is an issue for those tires, however.

I had Pilot Sports on my '09 at some point, and they performed fairly well. Quiet enough while lasting a long time.
Thanks - appreciate the resonse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those tires are known for being long lasting so comfort, noise and performance are at the bottom end. If you want quieter tires look for something that is more performance oriented, HR rated or better. This means you'll get less miles but they'll be more quieter, grip better and more comfortable. Being that the TSX is front wheel drive the car begs for more performance oriented tires in general. You'll get less front tire spin and squeal. Since I don't know your environment take this advice with a grain of salt and consider your environment and needs.
Thanks for the response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts