Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Do I need a camber kit? -I'm considering buying a Tein Basis from Autoplicity for abou $678+shipping, has anybody bought it from here, and if you can find it cheaper, please post the website.

2. Will I need wheel spacers, if I buy Wilwood, Endless, Spoon or Brembo BBKs? -I'm definitely considering the Wilwood's because of the price range I can spend. Brembo is over priced, and don't know if they come with 4x calipers.

So what do you guys think?

I just self install my Injen intake and it's been great. I'm considering Teins because I feel my suspensions' going out unavoidable hitting bumps. As for my brakes, it doesn't feel like I can break fast enough because trigger happy brakers' just like to slow me down. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tekneek. Usually, I see that people say that they don't need a camber kit. I'll guess I'll have to see when I make my purchase.

Definitely not sticking with stock wheels, although I might have it on for a while.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Thanks Tekneek. Usually, I see that people say that they don't need a camber kit. I'll guess I'll have to see when I make my purchase.

Definitely not sticking with stock wheels, although I might have it on for a while.
The lower you go the more camber you'll have. As mentioned by many people, Toe kills tires a lot more than camber does.

When I lowered my car (1 finger gap between tire and fender, so pretty low in my opinion) I was about -1 or so up front and -3.5 or 4 in the back. So you're going to have to ask yourself...

1. How low do I want to go?
2. What degree of camber am I okay with?
3. What are my goals? Daily driver (save tires)? Track days (perfect camber for performance and handling)? etc.

Personally I felt like -3.5 was too much so I got a camber kit and set it to -1.5 degrees in the back and left the front stock. If you do go camber kit, i'd recommend one that replaces the lower arms vs the upper ball joint. I have the ingalls rear camber and toe kit and has not given me any issues. Check out heeltoeauto.com for prices and availability.

Also, I'd wait to get a big brake kit if you plan to go wheels anyway, but that's just me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely doing my research along the way. Just found out, in fact, camber doesn't wear the tire, toe does.

Well. Definitely lower than stock height, I can fit my shoes into the rear. I'm thinking maybe about maybe 2 finger near tire on rear(?) I may sound confused because I'm relatively new when it comes to modding cars.

I'm basically a daily driver, but I do go hard on roads most of the time.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

·
四世
1,767 Posts
I dunno if you saw this, but you might want to read through this thread:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-suspension/17359-do-i-need-camber-kit.html

...but yea, it depends on how low you go. For me, I'm about as low as tekneek is, so I ended up buying a rear camber kit only. Unless you're going really low with super aggressive wheels and tires, a front camber kit is not necessary.

You can probably find coilovers for cheaper used, but I would recommend just buying them new.

·
:)
647 Posts
1. Do I need a camber kit? -I'm considering buying a Tein Basis from Autoplicity for abou $678+shipping, has anybody bought it from here, and if you can find it cheaper, please post the website.

2. Will I need wheel spacers, if I buy Wilwood, Endless, Spoon or Brembo BBKs? -I'm definitely considering the Wilwood's because of the price range I can spend. Brembo is over priced, and don't know if they come with 4x calipers.

So what do you guys think?

I just self install my Injen intake and it's been great. I'm considering Teins because I feel my suspensions' going out unavoidable hitting bumps. As for my brakes, it doesn't feel like I can break fast enough because trigger happy brakers' just like to slow me down. lol
FYI, I purchased my Tein Street Basis from Autoplicity last year for a little less than that price. I'd shop around just to make sure that's the best price possible.

·
Registered
522 Posts
ahvat,

I installed Tein Basis on my car and dropped it to about a finger gap. After alignment toe-in and camber in the front were well within spec. Rear camber was -1 and -1.1 so I figured that was safe for tire wear based on what others have reported and so I didn't install a camber kit.

Two months later I noticed that the inside of each rear tire was clearly wearing more than the rest of the tire. I had the Ingalls camber kit installed and brought the camber closer to neutral. This took care of the uneven wear.

Just because incorrect toe-in can wear tires faster than incorrect camber doesn't mean that camber should be downplayed. It may vary for each person so keep a close eye on your tires and be your own judge. Good luck with your modding and let us know how it goes.

·
5,412 Posts
ahvat,

I installed Tein Basis on my car and dropped it to about a finger gap. After alignment toe-in and camber in the front were well within spec. Rear camber was -1 and -1.1 so I figured that was safe for tire wear based on what others have reported and so I didn't install a camber kit.

Two months later I noticed that the inside of each rear tire was clearly wearing more than the rest of the tire. I had the Ingalls camber kit installed and brought the camber closer to neutral. This took care of the uneven wear.

Just because incorrect toe-in can wear tires faster than incorrect camber doesn't mean that camber should be downplayed. It may vary for each person so keep a close eye on your tires and be your own judge. Good luck with your modding and let us know how it goes.
-1.5 degrees camber is still considered within spec and that is what i run in the back. I made sure toe was 0 and I haven't had any issues. Alignments are always so sensitive, so it's hard to say what's going on, but it sounds like something else was off in your case

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yeah I know it was within spec but due to the wear I added the camber kit. It's been over a year and the wear continues to be even in the rear. I generally change a single factor when I troubleshoot as a control. In my case only camber was changed, toe remained constant when the Ingalls kit was installed.

I f something else was changed due to the addition of the Ingalls kit, it wasn't indicated in the alignment readout. There isn't enough information for me to speculate. I have noticed form other members' input that wear varies for similar camber values. That's why I think that every person has to monitor their own wear and adjust accordingly.

There is a trend but it's hard to say what the specific minimum camber value is that requires installing a camber kit. If one is not sure, it doesn't hurt to install the kit to be safe. It's also good future-proofing in case you want to change the amoumt of your drop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, everybody, for commenting. I'm pretty much set on getting the rear camber kit and coilovers now.

I thinking about 2 finger low from the fender, but I still probably have to get an alignment after a drop that low so that I don't wear out my rear tires.

·
5,412 Posts
Thanks, everybody, for commenting. I'm pretty much set on getting the rear camber kit and coilovers now.

I thinking about 2 finger low from the fender, but I still probably have to get an alignment after a drop that low so that I don't wear out my rear tires.
Alignment is a must for any suspension mod.

·
5,412 Posts

Alignment is a must

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.