Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice! I never thought there would be a forum dedicated just to TSX owners. Guess I won't have to be stuck in Edmunds forum anymore. Anyway, current I am not a TSX owner but I am very interested in the car because of all the reviews I've read and all the positive things I've heard about it (as well as the negative stuff). Suppose that I am leasing a TSX, and I have now till June to do it. From your experience, which month is the best for getting the lowest price?

My old car was a 2000 Corolla, so this is going to be a major upgrade for me. :) I have compared TSX to Accord EX V6. Both are nice cars, but VSA, superior interior really sold me on TSX. TSX has a stiff ride but I think I can deal with it. For its large turning radius, I think I can deal with it too. Now for its low-cutoff HID, do you guys think its range is actually less that the halogen on...say Accord or Camry?

So I am just trying to recite some of the negative things I heard about TSX, and maybe you can tell me something else that I don't know, so that when I actually lease the car, I won't have say to myself, "oops, that's...new to me".. :laugh:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Welcome!
We have a couple of Corollas in the family, so I can tell you first-hand that yes indeed the TSX will be a major upgrade for you.

About which month has the lowest price: It doesn't work like that. Some people might tell you such-and-such month might be best, but you can't go by it. I guess usually people might say that since the '05 just recently came out, prices are higher now and will get lower later. But we don't know that.
Get the car when you need it, and when you can.

About the HID's: Most people think they're great on the TSX.
I happen to be one of the many people who just don't like HID's that much in general, but that's a different story.

Have you tried the TSX? Sounds like maybe you haven't. You really should.
Sounds like you'll pretty definitely love it -- but you need to try it, including at night so you can see about the HID's.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Welcome yofoofoo

I like the HID's although they did take some getting used to. As far as the rest of the stuff, larch pretty much covered it..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your info. And I have another question on the Navigation system. First of all I have to say that I will definitely need a GPS on my car. For lease, the total price I pay for Nav in 36 months will be about $1k, in other words, adding Nav option will increase my monthly payment between $25-35 (I haven't spoken to any dealer regarding the quote, but I think such figure is reasonable, please correct me if I am wrong), so then my question is will I be able to find a GPS in $1k range that's better than the one integrated in TSX.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Just to let you know, the HID cut-off height can also be adjusted to suit your driving conditions manually, either higher or lower.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Welcome to the club, yofoofoo!:wavey:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome!

I would get the Nav. We weren't really shopping for it, but we decided we liked it enough to buy it. It's not perfect, but it does work well, and it's nice to get all the other controls integrated with the computer (audio, HVAC, etc) because it accepts voice commands for many systems.

We also looked at an Accord EX V6. The TSX was head and shoulders over the Accord in terms of excitement and fun. The Accord was a very nice car, but the small amount of extra punch the V6 gives did not make up for the overall non-sportiness of the car. The TSX gives up a little power but gains a LOT in responveness and handling.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
I have a 99 v6 and bought my tsx yesterday with navi for 27,5 + tax. Navi also increase resale value of car..

tsx is a much nicer car than an accord but then again.. the tsx is the euro accord.. so it pretty much the same car but better..

I would buy another accord but for similar pricing (navi) I rather have a ts

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
welcome to teh club yofoofoo :wavey:
Have you test-driven yet ?
Sorry I am clueless about leasing.

my question is will I be able to find a GPS in $1k range that's better than the one integrated in TSX
I seriously doubt it - the integrated nav offers quite a bit more than an add-on
- Acura Nav has won lots and lots of good rep. Easy touse, very accurate.
- It's fully and seamlessly integrated. Looks a whole lot better than add-on.
- Give the car a touch of "luxury" - suggest you test drive both nav and non-nav and let you feeling speak to you.
- Voice-command - adds "coolness" - AFAIK no after-market stuff does that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your comments. I have one more question on leasing. Suppose the lease expires, the dealer generally wants to see the car looking same as when it was leased out 36 months ago, So does it mean that I cannot add fog lights, tint windows and do some other minor mods to it?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'd really reconsider leasing. Leasing really amounts to renting the car for 3 years and while you may save a few dollars per month, you're left with no value or a big buyout. Economically, financing makes more sense than leasing.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Duke said:
I'd really reconsider leasing. Leasing really amounts to renting the car for 3 years and while you may save a few dollars per month, you're left with no value or a big buyout. Economically, financing makes more sense than leasing.
I agree 1000% with Duke.

And even more so when someone is thinking of doing stuff like what YFF is saying. When you buy it/finance it, you own it, so you can do whatever you want (within reason). When you lease it, you don't.

As I've posted many times, it seems that most people have misconceptions about the benefits of leasing. The main ones are:

---That your monthly payments are lower: Wrong, or at best, only very slightly right. In most cases, you can have comparable or lower monthly payments on a financed purchase, if you make the term of the loan real long.

-- That you can deduct the lease payments as a business expense: The problem with this isn't that it's wrong, but that a lease doesn't make the car any more deductible than if you buy the car. You can get exactly the same kinds and amounts of deductions on a purchase. In both cases, you have to meet the same tests in order to deduct expenses, and in both cases you face the same limits.

There ARE valid reasons for leasing, including that if you like to get a new car pretty frequently, the changeover is easier if you lease, and that you don't need to put as much money down (although you don't need to put that much down on a purchase either). But I think that's about it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bad news. I called a dealer today to find out about leasing quote for 5AT w/Nav, it turns out that the entire extra $2000 is split in the leasing period. So that's going to be 40-50$ more for each month (ouch!). I am sure there are tons of better ways to spend the two grand, so most likely I will not get the Navi option.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Well Navigation Wise..I have a non Navi TSX...went to cosco's droped a Grand and Brought the Majellian Navi Unit...it runs like a radar detector...stick the mount on the windsheild...plug it into the lighter...and there ya go... Full navi set up...just as good as the Acura One on my mom's MDX...and I share it w/ my dad...so it goes back and forth between the two cars...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MemphisRheins said:
Well Navigation Wise..I have a non Navi TSX...went to cosco's droped a Grand and Brought the Majellian Navi Unit...it runs like a radar detector...stick the mount on the windsheild...plug it into the lighter...and there ya go... Full navi set up...just as good as the Acura One on my mom's MDX...and I share it w/ my dad...so it goes back and forth between the two cars...
It looks really good. How much did you pay for it? And does it have voice function to tell you when to make the next turn?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Its got the Voice to tell you where to turn, it works really well from my Experence w/ it... Sells for about 700$...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts