Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks! I'm new to this site so please humor me if I'm asking any questions that have been answered thousands of times. Currently I own a 2002 rsx, but am considering stepping up to a TSX or TL in spring. Will the 18 x 7.5, 43mm offset wheels and 225/40 tires I have fit properly on the tsx, or is there a wheel/tire combo size that is closer to the stock wheel package?
:newbie: Thanks in advance for any help!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Dunno, but just to give you an "extremely preliminary" answer until people who might know come on here:

I think probably yes, they would probably fit, but it might take some doing.
And yes, there are others that are closer to the stock wheel package.

In case it might be helpful, the TSX stock tires are 215/50/17, plus here's some info that was posted elsewhere a while back:

MAX WHEEL WIDTH: 7.5 INCHES MAX TIRE WIDTH:225MM
MAX TIRE DIAMETER: 26.8 INCHES

WIDTH OFFSET TIRE WIDTH
6.0 +36/+65 195/205
6.5 +40/+65 195/205/215
7.0 +45/+65 205/215/225
7.5 +48/+65 215/225

ANY OFFSET LOWER THAN SHOWN ABOVE WILL RESULT IN THE
WHEEL BEING OUTSIDE THE FENDER WELL AND POSSIBLE INTERFERENCE ON REAR FENDER LIP.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the h1e1l1p, (this site really has some cool smilies)

I knew the tsx had 17's but couldn't remember the tire size. I'll keep doing some research.

Thanks again!:thumbsup:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
:woot: another midwest member

Welcome! :wavey:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TSX 'R' US said:
:woot: another midwest member

Welcome! :wavey:
Thanks for the welcome, now its just a matter of whether I buy a tsx, TL, sti, or an '05 rsx type-s...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Mike_G. said:
Thanks for the welcome, now its just a matter of whether I buy a tsx, TL, sti, or an '05 rsx type-s...
ah ha...we can help you decide... :D

Just really depends on what you're looking for...power vs. luxury vs. handling vs. etc. If money wasn't a factor for me, it'll probably end up being the TL vs. STi...though the TL would have an edge cause of some of the Lux/power ratio :nod:

G

·
if you have the extra $5,000 i'd go with the TL more horsepower. and i'm not knocking tsx(cuz i have one) but i think the TL look nicer also

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TSX 'R' US said:
ah ha...we can help you decide... :D
That's the reason I joined, to get info/advice from owners.

All things considered to TL is probably the nicest blend of all factors, and I had one for a weekend when my rsx was in the shop and loved it. That said, I'm only 24 and kinda feel like its a little too luxurious for me.

The tsx I built online isn't that much cheaper than a base six-speed TL, but it does not seem that the TL has the aftermarket support of the tsx. (I couldn't find any sites such as this related to the TL.) I'd really like to get into autox, wouldn't mind the decrease in insurance of having a four-door, and since I've graduated and got a fulltime job I'm looking to spend some cash (probably the best reason not to :rotz: )

I know the K-series is great and more power is available for modest $$$, but that said I could get another 100 hp for the nearly the same price with an sti.

Sorry for the long post, I'm not planning on doing anything before mid-April anyways. Just research for now, and I appreciate everyone's input :frosty:

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Mike_G. said:
That's the reason I joined, to get info/advice from owners.

All things considered to TL is probably the nicest blend of all factors, and I had one for a weekend when my rsx was in the shop and loved it. That said, I'm only 24 and kinda feel like its a little too luxurious for me.

The tsx I built online isn't that much cheaper than a base six-speed TL, but it does not seem that the TL has the aftermarket support of the tsx. (I couldn't find any sites such as this related to the TL.) I'd really like to get into autox, wouldn't mind the decrease in insurance of having a four-door, and since I've graduated and got a fulltime job I'm looking to spend some cash (probably the best reason not to :rotz: )

I know the K-series is great and more power is available for modest $$$, but that said I could get another 100 hp for the nearly the same price with an sti.

Sorry for the long post, I'm not planning on doing anything before mid-April
anyways. Just research for now, and I appreciate everyone's input :frosty:
haha, well STI is not going to save you money on insurance cuz it has 4 doors. I would recommend the 250 hp Legacy instead of the STI. It has the exact same engine as STI 2.5T, just toned down a little bit (lower compression, etc), and has more luxury features...I especially like the wagon with the 2 moonroofs.

You can't go wrong with TSX or TL...if you can afford the extra $5000 then I would suggest TL...that luxury is usually not wasted on anyone...btw I'm 24 too and drive TSX.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
hmmm...autoxing... I'd take the TSX autoXing over the TL...it's smaller and more nimble for twisties... IMO

·
Registered
112 Posts
mike g.
I'm currently running 235/40/18 on my TSX so your 225/40s should not be an issue. I also have the 7.5 with a 43 offset. Good luck w/ new car.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
hmmm...autoxing... I'd take the TSX autoXing over the TL...it's smaller and more nimble for twisties... IMO
:sprint: :sprint: :sprint: :sprint:

And another thing.....this might not mean anything to anybody in the world but me, but.....the TSX is quite a slender car, and the TL is an unusually wide car (i.e. for a car of that length). This is probably part of what makes the TSX more nimble and better handling, but it's definitely not something that you might assume, and it might take you by surprise.

My previous car (before the TSX) was the "old" TL, which is about 2" wider than the TSX, and believe me, the 2" less makes a big difference for me.
And considering that the current TL is even wider than the "old" one, the extra width would be a real PITA.

I'm surprised this doesn't seem to be an issue for other people, but for whatever reason, it seems we don't hear about it from anyone else.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you're thinking of autocrossing, definitely go TSX over TL. The extra weight of the TL will make it a poor autocrosser, though it is a very nice daily driver. The TL manual trans does come with an LSD, which is good, but at 3200 pounds it's not light on its feet for cone dancing.

Realtime Racing is using the TSX this year instead of the RSX in the Speedworld Challenge racing, but nobody's using the TL.

If you want to autocross, do you know what I suggest? Buy the TSX to drive every day, and spend the $5000 extra on a '90s CRX Si or '95-'97 Neon ACR to dedicate to autocross. At 1900 or so pounds the CRX much better suited to autox, and the ACR is only about 2400, and comes with a very stiff suspension setup. '97-'99 ACRs have adjustable Koni struts from the factory.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Duke said:
The TL manual trans does come with an LSD
Although the TSX does not come with LSD, the LSD of the DC5-R (Integra Type R) is a direct bolt on.
Plug, and play :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many thanks again, everyone :wavey:

Out of the cars on my wish list, I've only driven the TL and it was an auto. The TL is too big to AutoX, though I know there is at least one for sure in the Honda Challenge series.

Duke-> You make an excellent point about getting two seperate cars, my only problem with that is a lack of space since I still live at home. (Saving to get a house, but I think I'll put my next car first).

I know the RTR tsx has been pretty strong this year, they even got dq'ed at Road America after winning, though I can't remember why right now :jeffy:

·
would you be my neighbor?
243 Posts
^^^

haha.. glad to see another body from WI

1 - 16 of 16 Posts