Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time we heard anything about the Acura NSX - it pretty much made us very depressed. Rumor has it that the car will now become a “Super Hybrid Sports” model that would be powered by a 450-hp 3.5L V6 engine mated to a hybrid system. Every dream of seeing a 600-hp 5.5L V10 NSX to compete with the Nissan GT-R and the upcoming Lexus LF-A has shattered into a million pieces.

In that sense, when Honda announced last year that is shelving the NSX for good - they weren’t kidding.

According Acura’s senior manager of product development John Watts, the next NSX will be scaled down. The original NSX was “too high a halo,” Watts told CARandDRIVER. “For it to be fully effective, it couldn’t be too far removed” from Acura’s other products.

So expect the “next NSX” to have a fairly affordable price-tag and to share a platform from a current product in Acura’s lineup.

The last official word on Acura’s replacement for the NSX supercar was that the project was canned due to poor profit results at Honda as well as the poor state of the economy and auto industry in general. However, with Acura’s internal goal to reach ‘tier 1’ status in the luxury segment, a halo model like the previous NSX may just be what the brand needs.

So where does that leave the NSX replacement that has been sighted on numerous occasions lapping it up at Germany’s Nurburgring? Back in February, Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., revealed that development on the NSX replacement was “mostly done” and that it would be a quick move to market if given the green light.

Now, John Watts, Acura’s senior manager of product development, has revealed that the notion of an Acura sports car is not dead but just revised. Instead of targeting expensive supercars and performance thoroughbreds like the Ferrari F430, Nissan GT-R and upcoming Lexus LF-A, Acura is planning to release a much tamer sports car, possibly derived from one of the brand’s current platforms.

The NSX was “too high a halo,” Watts explained. “For it to be fully effective [as a halo vehicle for the brand], it couldn’t be too far removed” from Acura’s other products. This means that the new sports car will likely be priced much lower than the NSX and performance will probably more along the lines of the Nissan 370Z rather than the GT-R.

Though it’s good to hear that Acura is still planning to launch a sports model, it is somewhat sad that the world may never see the 600 horsepower V10 supercar rumored to be in the works.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
'revised'
'tamer'
'too high a halo'
'derived from a current platform'

be sure to include 'lame' in your press release. good god, would it kill you dolts to actually take a calculated risk, considering you already put all the R&D into the original version already?

·
hmm....
83 Posts
"share a platform from a current product in Acura’s lineup".. so it will be a faster accord?
why honda.. why?

·
, Administrator,
573 Posts
REPORT: Acura NSX replacement will move downmarket in price, performance

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Acura, Honda, Rumormill

Acura Advanced Sports Car concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

Late last year, Honda confirmed that it had halted development on the Acura NSX project as we had come to know it. While we're still mourning the loss of the promised front-mounted 560-horsepower V10 powerplant and torque-vectoring AWD setup, the boys at Car and Driver are reporting that the NSX may yet appear in some other form entirely.

Quoting John Watts, Acura's senior manager of product development, C&D says the NSX revival may still be in the works, just on a somewhat lower performance plateau. Says Watts, "For it to be fully effective [as a halo vehicle for the brand], it couldn't be too far removed" from Acura's other products.

As the original Acura NSX proved, Honda is capable of amazing things when it comes to performance-minded automobiles. As cool as another technological Tour de Force would be, the idea of a mid-level sportscar from Acura is certainly an intriguing prospect in its own right and would be something much more affordable for the average working stiff.

Gallery: Acura Advanced Sports Car Concept

[Source: Car and Driver]
REPORT: Acura NSX replacement will move downmarket in price, performance originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
Registered
465 Posts
:thread: (for what the article tells us lol)

·
Registered
255 Posts
So much for "tier 1" status. Acura is already below BMW, MB, Audi, and it's Japanese rival, Lexus. The other companies already have cars that are similar to the concept NSX, if not, producing one (Lexus). I am really not sure what Acura's direction is, but certainly not working towards the "tier 1" status.

Honda/Acura has great I4 engines, but I just think these engines are not enough to be in the luxo tier. Back in 2004, the TSX can get away with 200hp/163torq because competition like Audi (1.8T @ 180hp), BMW (325 @ 200hp), MB (230 Comp @ 193hp) etc. But now in 2009, the competition have stepped up, and TSX still have the same engine. Even though our fuel efficiency rating seems to be above them, however, on "actual" driving (I've owned the 1.8T before), it does not seem anything like it's saving me gas on same routine drives. On a separate note, the new 3.5V6 on a TSX costs significantly more that even TSX lovers like us think it is over priced. At that price, we can purchase other luxo brands that over the same quality, but with a better brand status.

So...is Acura having problems developing new luxo high end engines? Acura's engine caters more to the Honda family where I4 is highly important. I think if they spend a bit more R&D to make the RDX engine more fuel efficient, or even producing a turbo with a V6 would do. Even if Acura doesn't want to produce a V8 for the flagship RL, at least have more varieties on engines with the TL and TSX before it's doomed. A car starts with its engine, and if you want to be ADVANCE, then start producing engines that are like one. Don't get me wrong, I've loved Acura since I was a kid (Integra, Legend etc.), but just awkward of the direction the company is heading.

(btw, what's with Acura's 5 A/T vs. other brand's 6 A/T and 7 A/T dual clutch etc. nowadays?)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tier 1

Even if this article is true (which I am weary on considering how many NSX rumors there have been over the years) it would still be a step in the right direction of Tier 1. As of right now Acura has no coupes & arguably no sports car. If done correctly, this could help expand their lineup which is awfully small compared to the likes of BMW or Mercedes.

Acura could turn this into the next CL or an RL-Coupe but I hope that they will @ least make it a new model to compete along the lines of the Lexus SC. A long shot would be for it to be an M3 or M5 fighter. Regardless, I cannot fault them for not wanting to make a v10 car that costs ~$130,000 - based upon rumors.

Just please do not use the NSX name on this.

·
Last hand... ALL IN!!!
1,884 Posts
Its what honda does best... Never fails to disappoint... :lol: Only reason why I think honda is still in business is due to their reliability... Besides that point, nothing...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I really don't get the bitching about a car that very few of us could afford in its hypothetical V10, $130K form LOL.

It would be different if it was like the R8, where the front fascia is so damn sexy and was applicable to practically their entire product line. But I really doubt that Honda was going to do that anyway.

I don't give a shit about what super car Honda decides to release, it has no bearing on the car I drive.

I doubt that the poseur driving around in a leased 323i feels like a more significant person because BMW also sells $150K+ sports cars HAHA.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Disclaimer: I do not work for Honda in any capacity

What I think everyone is missing is that Honda seems to be doing what it's always done best: aim for the middle.

I know that Acura is supposed to be the aimed at the upmarket Honda crowd, but really, we're driving the Honda Accord the rest of the world has.

They do not make one car the stands out anymore. A few years ago (approx 04-07) the seemed to have the middle market affluents buying up TLs like they were going to stop production. They had a good design, a reputable name, etc.

Now it's oddly angled sedans, and small or mid size SUVs. No sports cars or sporty coupes (goodbye RSX & NSX), no really high end sedans. Hell, they don't even make trim levels (aside from the SType). No M series equivalent, or F (Lexus), or AMG. I have to think at this point that they are just going for the bulk of the worldwide sedan market.

Now I know that everyone here likes to think that they drive something nice, and we do. We all have great pride in our cars, and modifying them, or maintaining them. But we should realize that pride in a car doesn't come from expensive, high end models, but in our choice in what we decide to drive, and by extension, what we like to represent about ourselves.

Which is why I'd like to move into G35 territory at some point. :idea:

I would still love an 02+ NSX, though. :festive:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Which is why I'd like to move into G35 territory at some point. :idea:

:
Not sure how it is in DC...

But in Toronto, G35's (used) are about the same as the same year TSX's!

I get bored at work, and there are times where you can get an 06 G35X with navi for pretty much the same price as an 06 TSX with navi.

Granted Honda's are probably a lot more reliable than Nissan's, but ignoring that... the Infiniti has more cache than any Acura, and more performance for the dollar too.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree with scratchieepants.

I think Infiniti is a very good example of a brand that was not well known and have put its mark in the luxo segment. Their niche, so to say, is providing high powered-engines to luxury sedans and couples following footsteps of BMW. Their variety is also increasing and as many auto magazine states, the Infiniti brand is catching up real fast with some of the euro luxo brands. Their reliability and quality may still be a step behind, but their corporate direction is certainly a positive one and will someday get caught up and become "tier 1" staus.

As dedeman said, Honda/Acura tends to aim for the "middle crowd". That is contradicting with their corporate speeches of trying to be "tier 1". Using "identical" cars such as our TSX and Euro Accord may have saved the cost significantly, but this will also never allow Acura to become the status they say they want to be. On my 2005, the worst part is, all our windows have the HONDA labels as on them instead of Acura. Is it really that hard to change the label?

I like the TSX, and that's why I bought it in the first place. But will I buy an Acura again seeing the newer models, probably not. I just hope Acura will take the right steps in doing what their corporate speech says...."advance" into the luxo tier 1 status.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I agree with scratchieepants.

I think Infiniti is a very good example of a brand that was not well known and have put its mark in the luxo segment. Their niche, so to say, is providing high powered-engines to luxury sedans and couples following footsteps of BMW. Their variety is also increasing and as many auto magazine states, the Infiniti brand is catching up real fast with some of the euro luxo brands. Their reliability and quality may still be a step behind, but their corporate direction is certainly a positive one and will someday get caught up and become "tier 1" staus.

As dedeman said, Honda/Acura tends to aim for the "middle crowd". That is contradicting with their corporate speeches of trying to be "tier 1". Using "identical" cars such as our TSX and Euro Accord may have saved the cost significantly, but this will also never allow Acura to become the status they say they want to be. On my 2005, the worst part is, all our windows have the HONDA labels as on them instead of Acura. Is it really that hard to change the label?

I like the TSX, and that's why I bought it in the first place. But will I buy an Acura again seeing the newer models, probably not. I just hope Acura will take the right steps in doing what their corporate speech says...."advance" into the luxo tier 1 status.
Yup if I wasn't totally in love with the TSX's aesthetics, I still like staring at my humble car... I would've spent less and gotten "more" with the same model year G35 (maybe even the AWD model too, since Infiniti's currently drop like rocks in value, and Acura's stay up too high) last August.

The looks and perceived greater reliability (probably realistic based on numbers), was the only reason why I wound up with the TSX over the G35X. If I could ever "love" the look of the G sedan, I'd be trading in my TSX.

:D

Just thinking, higher quality/more upscale interior in the G, more HP, enough that I'd likely not do any mods except rims and suspension... sigh too bad I find it ugly lol.

Anyway, back to the original NSX post... It would be cool if the NSX successor was a car to be proud of it, but I don't believe very many of us would be buying it (too pricey), and it likely wouldn't have ushered in a whole new era of super nice front ends to the Acura's (like the R8 for all Audi's). So yeah, would be nice, it's something to talk about, but it really doesn't affect us in anyway now, or in the future :<

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just hope they dont find some way to fit that god awful new grille on it...

PS- with a V6 TSX, do we really even need a US-only accord? couldnt we have the same accord as everyone else?

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
I just hope they dont find some way to fit that god awful new grille on it...

PS- with a V6 TSX, do we really even need a US-only accord? couldnt we have the same accord as everyone else?
Good point, and the accord front end looks better than the TSX front end IMO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts