Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NHTSA has just posted on their web site the results of the government crash test for the TSX.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2004MidS.html

It got 5 stars for both driver and passenger on the frontal crash test, 5 stars for the side impact test for the front seats, and 4 stars for the side impact on the rear seats. Overall a great result.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Nice find DSM. Spanking new info as it was posted on 3/12/2004. Maybe it's more appropriate under the "Front Page News & Rumors" section.

Great to see that TSX did MUCH better in the high speed crash tests than the 5 MPH bumper tests. :ben:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, as soon as I posted I realized it would have fit better under "Front Page News & Rumors." I'm waiting to see how the TSX does in the Insurance Institute's offset frontal test.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Great get, DSM! We were waiting for these. I don't think we had any idea the results were coming so soon -- great that you were right on top of it.

Indeed the TSX results were absolutely terrific. Most of the cars in this category are good cars and some of them have better reputations than Acura, and almost all of them did pretty well. But the TSX was among the very best, doing better even than the BMW 3-series and the Volvo S60. (Accord did even better -- from what I could tell, it was #1.)

And yes, as Whatcham said, this can put us a bit at ease, after those IIHS bumper tests, including about what all these test results might do to insurance premiums. I'm sure they all count, but I would think that the crash tests count more, because I would imagine that what can kill the insurance companies isn't so much the nickel-and-dime stuff (and bumper damage is nickel-and-dime stuff), but the big-ticket stuff including personal injury, even though the nickel-and-dime stuff is probably more frequent. Anyway, WE certainly are more concerned about the big ticket stuff especially personal injury.

Regarding where this thread should be: I think it belongs right where it is.
Speaking as someone who loves this kind of nitpicky analysis, I find it an interesting question, because it's really both. At the moment, it's "Front Page News." But when it stops being front page news, which will be very soon, it will then be an extremely important "general" issue about the TSX, and, more so than most "front page news," it will remain an important piece of reference material about the TSX. So I would say, let's decide in favor of the near and distant future rather than the immediate present, and keep it under "General."

Thank you very much. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts