Acura TSX Forum banner

No Shell Helix here...

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  SAZABI 
#1 ·
Couldn't find Shell Helix syn engine oil..

I think I will try Motul next one.

I miss you Spoon... hope you will not completely drained and be free again.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#5 ·
CL9 K24a said:
I wouldn't use Motul racing oils if this is a daily car, it'll do more harm than good over time. Mobil 1 has ideal applications for Hondas and is consistently accepted as the preferred choice for Honda owners around the world.
yup I have been using Mobil 1 for 4 or 5 years. I have tried Red line and Castrol syn before. Only thing I don't like about using mobil 1 is that the engine bay seems significantly hotter compared to other oil that I have used. I heard some good things about helix. So I want to try. For Motul... I heard good performance, but didn't know it hurts the engine. Thx for the input.

hee... guess I will spend more effort finding the Helix locally.

#6 ·
SAZABI said:
yup I have been using Mobil 1 for 4 or 5 years. I have tried Red line and Castrol syn before. Only thing I don't like about using mobil 1 is that the engine bay seems significantly hotter compared to other oil that I have used. I heard some good things about helix. So I want to try. For Motul... I heard good performance, but didn't know it hurts the engine. Thx for the input.

hee... guess I will spend more effort finding the Helix locally.

oh really??

i've been using Mobile 1 with my EL, dono about the heat part but i've noticed
the idle speed has gone down...

#7 ·
CL9 K24a said:
I wouldn't use Motul racing oils if this is a daily car, it'll do more harm than good over time. Mobil 1 has ideal applications for Hondas and is consistently accepted as the preferred choice for Honda owners around the world.

oh really? cause the honda/acura dealer here sells them and u can ask them
to put it in during ur oil changes...

#10 ·
CL9 K24a said:

Not really. Motul also got different grade. For daily driving I would recommend 8100 but for hardcode racer.. 300V is your friend.

#14 ·
There were comparisons done on the S2Ki forum on Motul road oils (8100s) vs other leading road oils ala Mobil 1, Castrol, Helix etc. The Mobil 1 takes the hat hands down when it comes to longevity over mileage use.

The Motul race oils (300Vs) are indeed ideal as a race oil but it's got a short lifetime before you need replacement, approximately 2500KMs. Once past that stage, it'll pickup oil temperatures very quickly and is a cause for serious concern especially when used on a road environment (constant stop go which generates increased engine heat).

The only way to determine whether the oil you're using is suitable for you is to install a oil temperature and oil pressure guage. When it's "optimal" usage period is over, the oil temperature will climb significantly while pressure drops. Butt feeling on this subject is unappropriate and highly inaccurate.

#15 · (Edited)
CL9 K24a said:
There were comparisons done on the S2Ki forum on Motul road oils (8100s) vs other leading road oils ala Mobil 1, Castrol, Helix etc. The Mobil 1 takes the hat hands down when it comes to longevity over mileage use.

The Motul race oils (300Vs) are indeed ideal as a race oil but it's got a short lifetime before you need replacement, approximately 2500KMs. Once past that stage, it'll pickup oil temperatures very quickly and is a cause for serious concern especially when used on a road environment (constant stop go which generates increased engine heat).

The only way to determine whether the oil you're using is suitable for you is to install a oil temperature and oil pressure guage. When it's "optimal" usage period is over, the oil temperature will climb significantly while pressure drops. Butt feeling on this subject is unappropriate and highly inaccurate.
Do you guys have any info on AMSoil? I have read pretty good comments on those.

edit: but sounds like those people are focus on how long the oil can last. That's sth I don't really care, b/c I am not trying to find an oil that will save me some pennies from longer oil change interval... I found sth more interesting... let's take a look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.