Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone! Haven't posted around here in a little while...but I have one piece of bad news, and two good.

The bad news is, I decided against that TSX I had planned on buying. The good news is, I bought a BMW 325i.

The other bit of good news is....I'm still trying to talk my wife into trading her truck in for a TSX!!! 1blue1.gif


I'd still like to hang out here, assuming no one has any problems with me jumping ship to the dark side.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Congratulations, Ferg, and indeed please do stay.

Hey, they aren't discriminating against me just because I've had a Bimmer myself!

(At least I don't think that's why they're discriminating against me.) :D

You got yourself a great little car. I hope and trust it will be good to you! My 320i was great enough for me that I kept it for 12 years. As I've said, when it was good, it was very very good. Unfortunately there were a lot of times that it wasn't -- but, that was the first year for the model, and I guess there were a lot of bugs.

I have found your posts always to be intelligent, thoughtful, and interesting, and you seem like one wonderful dude.
I hope you'll keep coming around. And do keep us posted on the car!
 

·
Just a little nutty
Joined
·
664 Posts
Ferg said:
The other bit of good news is....I'm still trying to talk my wife into trading her truck in for a TSX!!! 1blue1.gif
Congrats on your purchase. What were some of the points that made you lean toward the 325I vs a TSX? I'm sure there are other people who are considering the same two cars and it may help them decide.

Heh, what's better than buying a TSX or a 325i? Buying both of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
Ferg said:
I'd still like to hang out here, assuming no one has any problems with me jumping ship to the dark side.
That is ok, but soon you'll grow to hate us. Those clothes in your closet? Labels aren't good enough anymore. That friend of yours with the ripped jeans who always belches in front of your wife? You won't want to see him again. Kids considering state schools? Hell no, send them to Stanford and Bryn Mawr.


:p



Just kidding - congrats on a great new car! ;)

Personally I like hearing the thoughts from other car owners who considered the TSX.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
chobits said:
.....I'd rather buy.....2005 TL
Well, it didn't take long for someone to mention this car!

I think that's the first mention.

So, what might we expect from the '05 TL?

Actually I think it's a pretty easy call: Not much. It might be almost exactly the same.

With the TSX, otoh, since it will have been such a long time between model years, I expect more changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Ferg said:
Hey there everyone! Haven't posted around here in a little while...but I have one piece of bad news, and two good.
The bad news is, I decided against that TSX I had planned on buying. The good news is, I bought a BMW 325i.
The other bit of good news is....I'm still trying to talk my wife into trading her truck in for a TSX!!! 1blue1.gif
I'd still like to hang out here, assuming no one has any problems with me jumping ship to the dark side.
what options did you add to your 325i?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
325i is a sweet ride. If you are not living in the NE.

I saw a BMW went sideway on Rt 128 even with snow tires on last winter.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Diesel said:
325i is a sweet ride. If you are not living in the NE.

I saw a BMW went sideway on Rt 128 even with snow tires on last winter.
Yes. That's one of the reasons I swore off RWD after my 320i.
I never had anything that bad, but it wasn't how I wanted it to be during those winters.

People often say there's not that much difference, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Besides, we keep seeing things in reputable sources that indicate (and absolutely ASSUME) that there is a significant difference. And not just on snow and ice, but even just slippery surfaces in general.

I know you can argue that RWD with snow tires is better than FWD with all-seasons. But I don't think that's the most relevant comparison.


P.S. I hope Ferg ain't watching. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
larchmont said:
Yes. That's one of the reasons I swore off RWD after my 320i.
I never had anything that bad, but it wasn't how I wanted it to be during those winters.

People often say there's not that much difference, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Besides, we keep seeing things in reputable sources that indicate (and absolutely ASSUME) that there is a significant difference. And not just on snow and ice, but even just slippery surfaces in general.

I know you can argue that RWD with snow tires is better than FWD with all-seasons. But I don't think that's the most relevant comparison.


P.S. I hope Ferg ain't watching. :D
Especially, you happen to be inside that RWD with snow tires that went sideway in the highway :(

PS. Maybe Ferg lives in CA. He will be fine.
 

·
The Voice of Reason
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
So, what might we expect from the '05 TL?

Actually I think it's a pretty easy call: Not much. It might be almost exactly the same.
Fewer rattles and maybe they'll use real glue on the headliners...

(I belong to BMWCCA and I haven't been banned here. Yet.) :)
 

·
The Voice of Reason
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
Yes. That's one of the reasons I swore off RWD after my 320i.
I never had anything that bad, but it wasn't how I wanted it to be during those winters.

People often say there's not that much difference, but I'll believe it when I see it.
98% of the time I'd be happier with a BMW, I'm sure. But that other 2% of the time a RWD car could scare the willies out of me. :eek:

FWDs Saab and Mini Cooper owned the Monte Carlo Rally for a string of years until Audi came up with the Quattro system.



Haven't we had this discussion before? :D
 

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
Joined
·
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, Fergie lives right here in hot and humid (for half the year) Maryland. And we get our fair share of snow. There are a few reasons why RWD and snow don't bother me that much.

First, 99.9% of my driving is on non-snow covered roads, so FWD was just not a necessity to cover the other 0.1%. I have nothing against FWD cars, as I've owned many. In truth, the debate between FWD and RWD did not weigh very heavily at all in my decision. Since I do so little snow driving, I would be a fool to base a $30K decision on the most unusual driving circumstance.

Second, the idea that FWD cars handle better in the snow is a false one. Let's correct the mistake now: FWD cars get better traction in the snow due to more weight being over the drive wheels. There is no evidence to suggest that grip around turns is improved in slippery conditions when comparing FWD and RWD. Read that sentence again, it's very important. So, the advantage in FWD is the ability to get going. However, stopping, cornering, braking, etc are just as dangerous in slippery conditions regardless of which set of tires is driving the car. The back end of a FWD car can break from the road just as easy as the front end of a RWD car. Actually, someone could successfully argue that having the front end lose grip first is a benefit, because the driver will feel it in the wheel sooner than you would notice loss of grip in the back, and therefore be able to adjust quicker.

Third, if I have to drive in the snow, I'll take the 4 wheel drive SUV that is parked right next to the 325i in my garage. So basically, if there is so much snow on the road that I can't get my car going, then I probably shouldn't be in a 2 wheel drive car anyhow.

Fourth, it matters not whether your car is FWD or RWD when some putz who thinks his/her car "handles" great in the snow because of FWD/AWD/4WD, then proceeds to slide into your car at 45 mph. See, the ability to "get going" makes people far too confident and they often don't realize how hard it's going to be to stop. The best way to avoid an accident in the snow is to stay off the darn roads. Sometimes that's not possible, but I seriously can't tell you the last time I was stuck somewhere because of an unexpected blizzard, and absolutely could not avoid driving home.

Lastly, if I really really had to drive in the snow on a regular basis, and I couldn't use my wife's truck, then yes I would buy some snow tires which would effectively negate the whole traction argument anyway.

All in all, the difference between FWD and RWD was a moot point for me. Your opinions and results may vary. :D
 

·
Orangeblood
Joined
·
136 Posts
Hey Bob, that Saab ad says "every stroke is a power stroke." Does that mean 1964 Saabs were TWO STROKE???

Good lord I already thought Saabs were weird w/o knowing that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
If you don't mind me asking why did you choose the BMW? I'm kind of a cheap bastard and I almost bought one considering I would have gotten a good discount(overseas purchase). I still didn't think it was a good enough deal. I'm not in anyway implying you made a wrong choice. Just curious. I do like the RWD myself. I think if he was really worried about the weather he would have gotten the AWD version.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top