Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experience this noise before?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PhLblUGYpEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
156 Posts
My guess is it might be your alternator bearing going out or tensioner. Have you checked your oil level yet? How many miles do you have on your car?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is it might be your alternator bearing going out or tensioner. Have you checked your oil level yet? How many miles do you have on your car?
Oil level is fine and the car has 115k miles. Funny thing is this noise started happening after I changed the oil (switch to 10w-30). I recently went back to 5w-30 (after 1k miles) and the noise is still there. I changed the belt about 6 months ago (due to squeeking noises) but didn't change the tensioner.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Anyone experience this noise before?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PhLblUGYpEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Use a mechanic stethoscope and listen to the alternator. My alternator bearing kinda sounded like that and was loud as hell till I swapped my alternator.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yours is more like a scrapping sound whereas mine is a mini rattle sound. Assuming it is drive belt/accessory related, the above posts seem to point you in the right direction. Just make sure it's not coming from the engine and it is coming from the accessories. Mine, I'm assuming is the actual entire tensioner while yours may be a tensioner pulley or alternator pulley.

·
150 Posts
Try to identify the source with a mechanic's stethoscope, or you may end up replacing parts that are perfectly good. We also have an 08 CR-V, which has basically the same motor, layout, accessories, etc. Last year, in the CR-V, I had a noise very similar to yours, and after probing around with the stethoscope, I suspected the PS pump. First, I flushed/replaced the PS fluid, and the noise lessened a little. Then, I brought it to my very experienced honda guy, and he said it was the tensioner (partly because these PS pumps rarely go bad). After replacing the tensioner, the noise was still there. It was the PS pump. If it is the pump, there may be some subtle clues, such as the steering wheel tugging in your hands while going around a long sweeping curve, such as getting on the interstate.

Since everything runs off that single belt, it's easy to replace more than is necessary, which gets expensive quickly.

Is the noise only on idle, or does it continue at higher RPMs too?

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Pull the belt off the car and start it, if the noise isnt there you know its an accessory. Just dont run the car for more than 30 seconds or so without the belt.

My guess would be the tensioner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts