Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thanks for checking out my build thread and hopefully lending some great advice on my journey in building my TSX.

I'm new to the K series world and the TSX world. I have been building the earlier model Honda's and pretty much only B series engines since about 2002. I've got a turbocharged drag race integra that is being tuned at the moment and wanted to start getting my TSX build now that it's on the tail end of the build.

I bought my 2004 TSX 6spd about 4 months ago and have been liking it a lot despite some of the common problems that seem to have plagued the Acura line in those years. The car came with Skunk2 Mega Power exhaust and that was about it. Everything else was stock. The interior was missing some panels like the upper pocket and had an aftermarket radio stuck in the empty slot. I knew that I had some work to do to get it how I wanted it, stock. Exterior was in decent shape. It could use a new paint job and a little work to smoothen out some dings but not bad for an 04. It has black interior and is a 6spd, so most things I let slide. It had a factory A spec kit on it as well.

Oh and for the price I paid he included Flashpro and a 07 a/t ECU to reflash. He was a Nissan guy and wasn't familiar with Honda too much.

After my purchase, I started to do a lot of research on my performance options and came to find out that I have the RBB-1 K24a2 engine and there was a revised K24a2 with a RBB-2/3 head and other upgrades to the motor. My current engine was leaking oil by the chain case so I started to order all the gaskets to replace the used parts. Once I really started looking around I could see that this was going to be a pain in the ass to work with the engine in the car. Not impossible by any means but for my first time messing with the K series I wanted to make sure I had a clear view of what I was doing to wrap my head around the process.

With that said, I called my friend up and he had a K24a2 at his dads shop but was unsure of the year. He said the headgasket was but it's been sitting a minute. I bought it for $300 and went and picked it up yesterday. Turns out to be an 07 RBB-3 cast so I lucked out. I did however find an 08 head at a core swap store on ebay so I purchased that for an additional $250 shipped.

Let me get some pics going now.

The picture with the stock wheels is when I bought the car. It had soem drift stitch repairs on the fender and bumper that i had to fix asap. I found some TL-S wheels for $300 local and scooped those up. Then I ordered a new fender and bumper prepainted to fix the drift stitch. The bumper paint didn't match too good. I think it was painted the wrong silver (meteor metallic silver) and should have been satin silver metallic. The fender matched nicely though and I decided to leave the lip off until I repaint it all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interior work

I went ahead and pulled the aftermarket radio and rewired everything back to stock so the factory radio was functional. That is when I realized the a/c lights not working probably from the PCB board. Didn't really bother me as I just feel for the buttons I need. I needed to find a solution to being able to use my phone with the factory radio and I read, on this forum, that there is a product by Grom Audio that does just that. I bought their unit and has resolved that potential problem.

As stated my interior was missing a few things, the passenger door lock did not unlock either. So, I took a look at the local pull a part junk yard inventory and sure enough there was a single 2004 TSX there. I went and looked at it and sure enough it had black interior and the parts I needed. I ordered a new door lock actuator from Acura and installed everything. The next thing to do was to spruce up the interior a bit. I ordered some 3M carbon fiber 1080 vinyl and did a few of the panels.

More pictures to come but i have to figure out how to load more. It's saying my limit is reached.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Welcome! Nice start, although it sounds like all the common problems are plaguing you. How are the axles/ac/ps?

So is the plan to sort out the RBB-3 swap and then drop that in?

The GROM is what I have and I love it, needed bluetooth so badly when I got the car lol.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! Nice start, although it sounds like all the common problems are plaguing you. How are the axles/ac/ps?

So is the plan to sort out the RBB-3 swap and then drop that in?

The GROM is what I have and I love it, needed bluetooth so badly when I got the car lol.
Yeah I plan on swapping in the built K24a2 in and tune on Flashpro for now. My goal is to build this car to be a fun daily driver and to commute to work with it. I used to have a 99 civic coupe with ITR swap w/ JRSC on S300. I tuned it and it was so fun. I wanted a sedan and always like the TSX and wanted a manual as well.

My plan for the K24 build is this

Head K24a2 RBB-3
Dual valve spring/retainer/ keepers kit
RRC intake manifold port matched
70mm TB
Not sure of what cams yet.
Thermal IM gasket
Not sure what header

Block
K24A2 87.5MM bore
Wiseco 12.5:1 pistons
Manley H beam rods
ARP head studs
K24a2 crank balanced with rotating assembly
K20a2 oil pump upgrade

Transmission
Stock 6spd

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, just joined the site with a subscription so I can upload more photos of the build. I figure I always liked these cars and don't see myself parting with it any time soon.

Now to finally try to get some pictures of the work that's going on at my shop. I'll try to keep the pictures in order. I bought the engine knowing it had a blow headgasket. So we got to see chocolate fall from my K lol. I spent the weekend breaking down the engine and cleaning up all the slush. I'm still going to deep clean the parts so they look new.

I also went ahead and ordered a 08 RBB-3 head since I knew I was going to use one and not knowing what version K24a2 I was getting until I saw it since my friend wasn't by his dad's shop to look for me. Turned out to be a 07 RBB-3 engine.

Oh and of course my daughter had to help out and inspect my engine stand handle to make sure it was clear of obstructions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suspension

I have been having some Tein Flex Z coilovers for the car for about 3 months and just got around to installing them. They ride really nice and I'm still adjusting them to my liking. Overall I love these. How she looks at the moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
Also on Flex-Z's. Good choice. Looking forward to seeing this build. Sounds like a pretty fun NA build. Better add a 45* VTC too while you're at it.

Oh if you don't want to attach photos you can always embed them.
is how to do it. Imgur actually lets you copy the embedded link - makes it super easy.

EDIT: sorry for not catching the part about the pics until after you paid for a premium membership lol

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also on Flex-Z's. Good choice. Looking forward to seeing this build. Sounds like a pretty fun NA build. Better add a 45* VTC too while you're at it.

Oh if you don't want to attach photos you can always embed them.
is how to do it. Imgur actually lets you copy the embedded link - makes it super easy.

EDIT: sorry for not catching the part about the pics until after you paid for a premium membership lol
Hey no worries man. I don't mind giving some support that I use. Thanks for the tip about submitting pictures.

I'm def. loving the Teins on the car. I'm still adjusting to what I like but overall a great kit.

I have the RBC VTC gear coming in today actually. I do have a question regarding that. I keep reading about 45* VTC mod and I got the RBC VTC 50* gear but only found a 40* key to use as the limiter. I haven't looked at the Flashpro software over to much just yet but is there a parameter or table that sets a max advance on cam phasing? From what I understand, the 40* will physically limit the cam phase no matter what it's told to do. Is it safe to run it without the limiter in place? Does going the extra 5* make a huge difference?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I do have a question regarding that. I keep reading about 45* VTC mod and I got the RBC VTC 50* gear but only found a 40* key to use as the limiter. I haven't looked at the Flashpro software over to much just yet but is there a parameter or table that sets a max advance on cam phasing? From what I understand, the 40* will physically limit the cam phase no matter what it's told to do. Is it safe to run it without the limiter in place? Does going the extra 5* make a huge difference?
Great build! Hopefully when my daughter is older, she will help me with my car too. :grin2:

For 04-05 models, Hondata had an article that essentially said that the extra 5 degrees may cause valve to piston contact. Also, the flashpro instructions state "limiting the cam position in the ECU will not guarantee that the cam position will not exceed what is set in the ECU. Because of this all cams must have a physical stop to prevent valve contact."

Even in my datalogs, it often shows the "CAM" and "CAMCMD" values yield slightly different values. The "CAM" parameter shows the actual CAM angle value whereas the "CAMCMD" provides the CAM angle value set by the ECU.

Supposedly this isn't an issue with 06-08 models since the revised pistons have larger reliefs to prevent valve to piston contact with an unmodified 50* VTC actuator. Some of the forum members have the unmodified 50* VTC actuators for their 06-08 models without any issues.

Although, I'm not sure if your Wiseco pistons will provide the enough clearance to prevent the contact issues. You may want to clay your engine to make sure everything is good. Or you can get your VTC actuator pinned so it can't physically go pass 45*.

Btw, the 06-08 TSX OEM intake camshaft is the largest stock camshaft you can get for the K series. Many 04-05 TSX's go with that camshaft and make great power gains while keeping the reliability of an OEM part.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great build! Hopefully when my daughter is older, she will help me with my car too. :grin2:

For 04-05 models, Hondata had an article that essentially said that the extra 5 degrees may cause valve to piston contact. Also, the flashpro instructions state "limiting the cam position in the ECU will not guarantee that the cam position will not exceed what is set in the ECU. Because of this all cams must have a physical stop to prevent valve contact."

Even in my datalogs, it often shows the "CAM" and "CAMCMD" values yield slightly different values. The "CAM" parameter shows the actual CAM angle value whereas the "CAMCMD" provides the CAM angle value set by the ECU.

Supposedly this isn't an issue with 06-08 models since the revised pistons have larger reliefs to prevent valve to piston contact with an unmodified 50* VTC actuator. Some of the forum members have the unmodified 50* VTC actuators for their 06-08 models without any issues.

Although, I'm not sure if your Wiseco pistons will provide the enough clearance to prevent the contact issues. You may want to clay your engine to make sure everything is good. Or you can get your VTC actuator pinned so it can't physically go pass 45*.

Btw, the 06-08 TSX OEM intake camshaft is the largest stock camshaft you can get for the K series. Many 04-05 TSX's go with that camshaft and make great power gains while keeping the reliability of an OEM part.

Hey thanks for the insight! Very appreciative. Once I started giving her small tasks such as jacking up the car she has been hell bent on helping me with everything lol I just explain everything I'm doing and she takes it in. It's priceless time with her.

I went ahead and picked up the 40* pin limiter to physically stop it. I read the same thing you typed as well in regards to the phasing physically going passed what the electronic limiter is set to. I will use the pin for good measure. Since I have the 07 pistons laying around I will measure the valve relief and compare between the new and old pistons. They should have the larger reliefs but better to check and know for sure. For the time being I plan on sticking with the stock cams so I can get a baseline and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A small update on the TSX. Sorry I have been super busy getting my integra finished up and tuned. Going to get the car tomorrow. Made 500whp for now. I need to add a second wastegate to control boost creep at 18psi.

Anyways.... The TSX has been chilling. No major updates. I finished breaking down the engine. I ordered Ferrea dual valve springs and retainers and locks. Also ordered the RSX Type S spring locators b/c the dual spring set is lightly used and they didn't include the seats. Since I'm using a K24a2 head I believe I needed the seats as well.

I also go around to ordering some pistons. Found a new set of 12.5:1 Wiseco Pistons for $445 shipped so I picked those up. Next thing to do is get the block and pistons to the machine shop so i can get it bored out to 87.5. Then I can start building. I'll post more pics as the parts start coming in.

In other areas of the car I have a click/pop that is happening when I push the clutch pedal. Seems like it's the CMC so I bought another one. My A/c compressor isn't coming on anymore and the system is filled so I think it crapped and will need replacing soon.

I ordered the HDS knock off and still waiting on it's arrival so I can put flashpro on and sync the ECU at my house.

My DC sport CAI did come in and I installed it with little problems. The only part that didn't make sense was making the provided coupler work with the PCV home going to the intake manifold. I just removed the stock parts and ran my own line to connnect the pipe to the intake.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey guys, I haven't updated this thread in a bit but have been busy with life work and my race car for the most part. I do have a few updates.

To start, I purchased everything I need for the engine rebuild other than cams and rod bearings as I still need to measure and size the rod bearings. I also still need to get the k20a2 pump kit upgrade but that will come in time. I'm pretty much replacing all seals, chains, chain guides, for the engine as the history of the new engine was unknown other than it having a blown headgasket.

New parts aquired

Head:
RBC VTC intake cam gear
Ferrea flat face valves
Ferrea retainer locks
Ferrea valve seals

Block:
OEM Honda crank bearings
Wiseco 12.5 forged pistons
Manley H beam rods

I got the head and block back from the machine shop 2 weeks ago and had the following work done.

Head:
Was checked to be straight and it was so no milling needed (the head was not in the engine with a blown head gasket).

Intake valve guides all in spec while exhaust valve guides we not and had them replaced.

All 16 valve seats recut for the new valves

Block:
Decked bc it was not true between cylinders 2/3.

Bored out to 87.5mm and honed for new rings. Cleaned

That's all that really needed to be done on the block end.

Other things that are going on. Bought new brake pads and rotors, changed front ball joints, tie rods, lower control arm, upper control arms, just got two new front seats that are not ripped. My radio took a dump so I bought a new used one on the fb group. Fixed my rear bumper mounting locations with a heat gun ans they were cracked and not holding sucure. Also changed the clutch master cylinder as it was popping and eventually started to give out when held down long.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok it's been a little while since I've updated the thread.

I left off with just getti g the block and head back from the machine shop. I have since measured for bearing clearance for the mains and rods. I went with OEM bearings for both. Got the piston rind gap where I want them and assembled the rotating assembly.

Purchased an COMETIC 88mm head gasket (block bore is 87.5mm) and copper sprayed it and installed using ARP head studs.

Was able to source a RRC intake manifold from Canada ?.came with thermal gasket.

Yesterday my OEM K20a2 oil pump came in so I trimmed and fit it to the block. The windage tray and chain will be arriving today to finish up the install. Yes, I removed the orifice and plugged the hole with a bolt and hondabond.

Installed the RBC VTC gear and 40* limiter pin.

Installed Ferrea valvesprings, retainers, and flat face valves.

Ordered new gaskets for the whole engine and waiting for the valve cover gasket kit to arrive.

I went with a blue wrinkle coat paint color for the valve cover. Ordered a hybrid racing coil cover and skunk2 black hardware. I'm going to get the hybrid dip stick and oil cap to match.

Ordered an oem type s TCT and should be in next week.

I should be able to button up the engine fairly soon. I plan to take the car to the dealer soon to get the new ecu working in my car as well. Start messing with the software so I'm ready to tune when I swap the engine in.

I still need to get a J37 throttle body and port match the intake side and also purchase a respectable header and buy the DC 3.2 cams. I've been putting funds and time into my race car and progress on this car hasn't moved as fast as I'd have liked. Oh, I'm also talking with my painter about repainting the car (same color) but I'll be able to get my front lip back in.

Pics

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
Nice update! That set up is going to be strong! What are you going with for tuning, sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice update! That set up is going to be strong! What are you going with for tuning, sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.
Thanks!

It will be on flashpro on a 07 TSX ECU. I'm going to get that situated before I do the swap so I can get it to my friends shop and put it on the dyno. I've already got the CAN wiring kit from Hondata, just have to install it. It's my daily so I don't really want any down time.

I'm considering getting RSX Type S gears and swapping it in with a OEM SI LSD. I'm expecting 200tq from it and would probably be in dire need of it.

I've been caught up with my integra the last few months. Installing the roll cage now and dyno'd it a few months ago at 700hp/460tq on E70. Stock cast head and ITR cams. Got to get a PPG gear box in it b/c stock trans isn't going to last long.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts