Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nonnavi to navi install info

non-navi to navi install complete by me (long read and lots of pics)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who said it couldn’t be done its finally been done

Well as you have read from the title I have successfully completed my install of the factory navigation into a non-navi tsx. I took me about 4 days due to the fact that I wasn’t sure off all the parts I needed so by the time I got all the pieces in and installed it took me about 4 days. Not to mention that no one else had done this before so I had to experiment.

This job is definitely not for beginners. Some knowledge of cars and wiring is needed to complete this long task. This also cannot be done with out both the service manual and the electrical manual from Helm’s. These two books were and still are a life saver.

When I originally started this venture I wanted to wait and find the Acura wire harness that goes behind the dash (navi edition) and the one for the passenger side floor harness that connects all the way in the back to the navigation (also navi edition). As I looked for pricing dealers I was going to spend about $1,500 just in harnesses. The dismantling of the dash which would have been necessary to install factory harnesses would have been a nightmare. So I decided to look for junkyards that might have them. Basically this was a waste of time because only about 5 junkyards had tsx’s. Then they either had cut the wire harnesses or they just didn’t want to part the car (meaning they would have to sell me the dash and half the car for me to get the wire harnesses). So I decided to try and make my own wire harness.

I ordered the electrical manual from helms and it all went down hill from there. After reviewing the electrical manual for several days/hours I figured out that all the wires for the navigation were a separate harness from the all the other car harnesses but they were ran in the same loop all the way to conceal all the wires. After this brilliant finding I decided to start dissection the car to see what was behind all the plastic and to confirm what wires came with the non-navi edition. The wiring was a bitch to say the least. Building shields for wires is a pain in tha ass. Anyways I had to go wire by wire dissecting the car so that I can run one wire at a time so that I wouldn’t get lost. There is a shit load of wires that need to be added to make this thing work and u must find all of them lol.

Parts needed are: (part number) please confirm part number b4 ordering

For parts list:
http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnyside/jsp/catlistallcomp.jsp?inputstate=3&catcgry1=TSX&catcgry2=2004&catcgry3=4DR+TSX+NAVIGATION&catcgry4=LM&catcgry5=INSTRUMENT+PANEL+GARNISH+(DRIVER+SIDE)&ListAll=All

Navigation (39540-SEC-A01)
H-VAC display unit (tv)
Navigation Dvd (39010-SDA-A41)
Sub clock display unit (39710-SEC-A51)
Sub wire, cable reel harness (behind airbag) (77901-SDA-A40)
GPS antenna (39835-SEC-A01)
Homelink buttons (navi edition includes a mic) (34404-SDA-A21)
Switch assy., Navigation Guide (35890-SEC-A01)
Case (3A) for switch assy (35891-SEC-A01)
Plate switch set (78517-SDN-A81)
2x Screw-washer (4X12) (93893-04012-07)
2x Screw-washer (4X12 ) (93893-04012-17)
Size 22 wire (all wires are this size)
Soldering iron
Electrical tape
Screwdriver
Flat head
Torx T-30 (airbag removal)

I took as many pictures as I could of relevant things. Hardly took pictures of the actual wiring due to the fact that it is just a bunch of wires stuck together. There is a lot of dismantling of the car but don’t be afraid that is what the service manual is for.

This to dismantle:

Back seat
Gauge cluster
Left and right kick panels
Passenger side floor interior trim
Back seat shelf (speaker area)
Both left and right rear pillar air bag trim covers (to be able to pull out the shelf)
Center dash
Interior trim under and around steering wheel
Driver side airbag

You must also have the serial numbers for the tv and the navigation because you need to call acura and get navigation and radio unlock codes.

The taking out of the H-VAC to see what wires were behind there

Some of the materials

Some of the wiring

More wiring notice the shielding beginning at the end

Shielding (what a pain in the ass)

Finished info screen

Sub cable reel (wire for mic and for voice activation button)

Close up of wire for voice activation button

Finished voice activation button

Side view of activation button

Place where voice activation button goes. One must cut along the line and remove the plastic so that button fits in there

Where voice button should go

Voice activation button

Difference in sub cable reel harness (right on has extra plug for voice activation button)

Close up of cable reel harness

Steering wheel view with out airbag

Center dash cabling (notice the black and the white towards the bottom. Those two plugs need to be added to be hooked up to the navi)

Old school radio lol

New sub-clock display unit

Cd player view

Menu view

Map view

Intro warning

Intro screen

Sub-display clock unit

GPS antenna

GPS antenna

Rear shelf and rear pillar airbag trim removal

Rear shelf and rear pillar airbag trim removal

GPS antenna and rear shelf

Wiring behind navigation

Navigation view after wire hiding

Navigation view b4 wire hiding

Rear shelf

Back seat with corner removed (where wire run through)

Wire running through passenger side floor

WEll thats all guys. Its all done and i love it. I would be willing to make more harnesses for who ever wants them but they gonna cost some cash. It takes forever and it is very tidious. Hope you guys enjoy.

Next step is navi/dvd/tv conversion (in a non-navi tsx lol)

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
hey lopez :wavey: what up muchacho !
you da man !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hanging out man

doing a couple installs of my tsx/accord nonnavi to navi harness

currently doing an 2004 accord 2dr and a tsx

i havent been in these forums in a while these things are addicting lol

well take care

if any questions fell free to pm anytime

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
What up Flopez..You're over here too man!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah been around here for a while

i just forgot about it lol sorry

now im back :wiggle: :wiggle:

so ill be around

pm if anything hope everything is good with you sir

take care

·
, Administrator Emeritus
5,994 Posts
was this an 04 Navi you installed? Cause I'd like to install the '05 because it has the XM satellite radio in it. DO you think it would require any differences from what you did? Maybe another external antenna for the XM?
And when you made your own wiring, where did you get fitting plugs?

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
Peregrine said:
was this an 04 Navi you installed? Cause I'd like to install the '05 because it has the XM satellite radio in it. DO you think it would require any differences from what you did? Maybe another external antenna for the XM?
And when you made your own wiring, where did you get fitting plugs?
Flopez82 doesn't come around all too much, but I can try to answer a couple of the questions.

He did install in an 04 TSX.
The fitting plugs where still on the units, they were just cut. I think he did have to get some of them, but I forget where he got them.

If you want to do the XM. Well, on the 05 the XM antenna is on the top of the car, right in front of the middle of the rear windshield. You will definitely have to put in an XM antenna. You don't have to put it there, but you will need one.

I believe there is also an extra XM tuner box. I think it sits somewhere close to the back seat/trunk area. Don't quote me on this though, I heard this from a member from another forum. The tuner most likely plugs into the OEM HU in the same spot that the SNHOND3/blitzsafe adapter plugs in. This is my assumption, since you cannot use one of the AUX input devices without either losing XM, or getting a special adapter.

With all that being said. I think you should just get an external XM tuner along with a SNHOND3/blitzsafe. This would be a much easy install.

G

·
wow im damn impressed. I was impressed after installing navi in my girlfriends srt4 but thats nothing compared to a tsx. if you dont mind me asking how much money did this run you?

·
Im Rick James B1tch!!!
345 Posts
Wow, that kicks ass, id love navi in mine, but it looks like a lotta time and $$$

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
vthree said:
whered all the pictures go to this post =( :tard:
welcome to Feb 2005
LOL

·
, Administrator Emeritus
5,994 Posts
well, there used to be a lot of pics. They expired I guess... That's the problem with off-forum hosting. And that member is most likely long gone, too. I don't recall seeing anything posted by him eversice this thread was created.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
OP (lopez), the first ever to do this conversion (that we know) has moved on to a S2000 (early last year I think)
and I think he actually took it back out LOL

·
Registered
416 Posts
ok so where are the pix.. lol man i wanna do this on my 06 and keep my bluetooth and everything. so im shopping for an 06 navi.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Are you trying to go from 04 non-navi to 04 navi?

Honestly the pictures do not help at all with the install. Just use the parts list in the first post to get all of the modules.

You will need 22 gauge wire to make a harness from the trunk to the screen.

Approx 15 feet of each wire is needed.

You need shielded wire as well.

22-5 shielded
22-2 shielded (x4)

The rest of the wires do not need to be shielded. You'll have to tap into the reverse lights, CAN wires at the cluster, power from the Light Blue 20-pin connecter on the back of the screen.

I'll have a write-up with pictures when I have time, but let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts