Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding that the car vibrates excessively when letting out the clutch when taking off from a standstill--as though the car is on the verge of stalling.

I suspect that a low idle is to blame because the vibration issue seems to disappear when I'm taking off before the engine has reached optimal temperature (i.e., and the idle is still at around 1,500 RPM). However, when the car is warmed up (and idle drops to 800 RPM), the vibration on take-off re-appears. It's bothersome enough that I'm having to get on the throttle before I even begin to let out the clutch (but this of course, will shorten the life of my clutch!).

What is the typical RPM at idle once the car is warmed up?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I always give a little gas in all my standard cars on take off. in the TSX I usually rev to between 1200 and 1800 rpms on take off and have been since I got the car over a year ago and have seen little to no wear on the clutch (based on the feel). I also don't have the patience to let the clutch out that slow on EVERY take off.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mine fluctuates between about 800-1000. I also always give a bit of gas when I take off. I don't know how you can stand letting the clutch out so slowly. A general rule of thumb that I was taught is, if the car feels like it's going to die, give it a little more gas. I'm pretty sure letting your car shudder that much isn't good for it.

·
What to put here?
1,990 Posts
According to the Service manual, without load conditions (headlights, blower fan, radiator fan and AC off):

04-05 M/T 750 +/- 50 rpm
04-05 A/T 800 +/- 50 rpm (park or neutral)

06-07 M/T 780 +/- 50 rpm
06-07 A/T 800 +/- rpm (park or neutral)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
That does not sound like a idle issue, Sounds to me more like a warped fly wheel or clutch disk surface. Theoretically the idle should not matter in a manual trans, you control the take off and regulate the throttle.

Does the car still shake when you let out the clutch (warm) at slightly higher RPM than normal?

Can any one confirm that there is a peep hole in the transmission case, that allows you to inspect the clutch? If there is I would suggest you take it to a local shop and have them diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That does not sound like a idle issue, Sounds to me more like a warped fly wheel or clutch disk surface. Theoretically the idle should not matter in a manual trans, you control the take off and regulate the throttle.

Does the car still shake when you let out the clutch (warm) at slightly higher RPM than normal?
The car does not shake or shudder when the clutch is engaged with engine running at a higher-than-normal RPM (for instance, when the engine is not warmed up and the idle is around 1500 RPM).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts