Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We make a lot of fun of that little red bin in the compartment under the center console, you know, where it says "Not an Ashtray."
I mean, wtf are you supposed to use that for?

Well, I thought I'd check the manual and see if they tell you.

They don't. They just say you can't use it as an ashtray.

Also there isn't any name for the bin.

But that whole compartment there is called the "Utility Pocket." :eek:

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
You know what, my only source of rattle (more like a low creaking/squeaking noise) is coming from that useless bin.

(Actually, it's not the bin that's the cause of the problem but rather the result. The lower center console and the dash twists/bends while driving and the tight specs within the interior doesn't leave much room for it to flex. If I push or pull the bin a little bit and the noise goes away. I'm thinking of putting something in there and do a quick ghetto-fix).

But back on topic, I leave cash in there for the tolls. (no EZ Pass yet, as I am waiting to receive my specialty plates). I call it "Pimp Bin" because it's red felt-lined and flows well with the blue "Pimp Lights".

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
larchmont said:
We make a lot of fun of that little red bin in the compartment under the center console, you know, where it says "Not an Ashtray."
I mean, wtf are you supposed to use that for?

Well, I thought I'd check the manual and see if they tell you.

They don't. They just say you can't use it as an ashtray.

Also there isn't any name for the bin.

But that whole compartment there is called the "Utility Pocket." :eek:
I was calling it the NAT (Not An Ashtray) bin and stuck my V1 remote in there. Actually works out quite well.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
since there's already a spot for the other coins I just throw the pennies in there.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
Re: Re: "Not an Ashtray"

hip said:
I was calling it the NAT (Not An Ashtray) bin and stuck my V1 remote in there. Actually works out quite well.
I also use it for the remote display for my Valentine-1 radar detector. (Great minds must think alike.)

In other cars, the ones that came with an ashtray, I use the ashtray as a coin holder. I could be wrong, but I don't even think Honda sells a "smoker's group" with an actual ashtray for the TSX in the US.

But they do for the Odyssey, you know the minivan that they market to young moms with kids...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Re: "Not an Ashtray"

bob shiftright said:
....I don't even think Honda sells a "smoker's group" with an actual ashtray for the TSX in the US.

But they do for the Odyssey, you know the minivan that they market to young moms with kids...
Sometimes you have to look a little bit close to notice Bob's funnies. :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Some of us Canucks use it for Loonies and Toonies ($1 and $2 coins) since they don't fit the console slots.

Trivia: We call them Loonies because the mint had lost the original dies (with a pic of a moose) a few days before the release of the $1 coin and had to quickly replace them with new ones with a duck on them. When the $2 coin came out, Toonie was the natural name since Dubloon was retarded.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I usually use it as a mini trash container (gum wrappers, kleenex)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I toss Sacajaweas in the not an ashtray since there's no console slot for them and I use them for the commuter parking lot. She likes it there.

·
Oops. I, uh, did it again
39 Posts
I'm going to put my XM Commander faceplate there.
Until then, I use it for the odd American coin. The slots under the armrest are kind of a pain the ass.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thebullfrog said:
.....The slots under the armrest are kind of a pain the ass.
Yes, they are. Useful but difficult.

I don't recall anybody on these forums having noted this before.....I assume you mean how hard it is to open them, plus having to keep track of which button opens which compartment? I still sometimes open the upper one when I want the lower one, and vice versa. And I often have trouble getting either one (especially the upper one) to open smoothly -- sometimes I have to pull it pretty hard.

I've never complained about it because in the grand scheme of things it's extremely minor, and I do love just having those compartments.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
Yes, they are. Useful but difficult.

I don't recall anybody on these forums having noted this before.....I assume you mean how hard it is to open them, plus having to keep track of which button opens which compartment? I still sometimes open the upper one when I want the lower one, and vice versa. And I often have trouble getting either one (especially the upper one) to open smoothly -- sometimes I have to pull it pretty hard.
I think it might be a little difficult to pull it open, retrieve the appropriate change and downshift at a toll booth....all without hitting the car in the lane next to me....

I use the driver's side door pull for loose change/tokens. (And a V-1 remote display in the "non-ashtray", nothing in the console coin gizmo .... yeah Honda designed the interior with ME in mind!)

Seriously, $114.24 plus freight gets you a real ashtray and cigarette lighter for your kids to enjoy in your Odyssey minivan! Not your TSX, though!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yeah they can be annoying, but I like that I can fit my caselogic CD case + phone charger + just in case throwaway camera + other crap in there. It's a nice-sized compartment.

In our passat, the same compartment holds 1 pen and a tire gauge. That's virtually all there's room for.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
In the large compartment betwwen the seats is a cell phone power cable and a travelers size box of kleenex. I really don't use it..

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bob shiftright said:
....I use the driver's side door pull for loose change/tokens.....
I wonder if that's the cause of some people's "rattles." :D

For a while I kept hearing this little clattering when I'd make a semi-short stop or whatever. When I finally decided to take the 2 seconds to investigate, I saw that my wife had put a half-pack of Lifesavers in her "door pull."

BTW, aren't those called "map compartments"?

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:

For a while I kept hearing this little clattering when I'd make a semi-short stop or whatever. When I finally decided to take the 2 seconds to investigate, I saw that my wife had put a half-pack of Lifesavers in her "door pull."

BTW, aren't those called "map compartments"?
I also have a flashlight in the door "map" compartment and a few cassette tapes. Yes, they rattle but I can localize the sound well enough to know that's what's happening.

Interesting, I did experience a transient "rattle" when it was extremely cold out. It went away when the temperature warmed up. It sounded to me like some ice might have attached itself to a climate control fan, unbalancing it. I'm probably the lone voice in the wilderness about this but I really wish the Honda engineers had taken the cars up to Siberia to test 'em during the winter! Cold weather performance is nowhere near Saab's or Volvo's. Fortunately, we only have 13 weeks of winter here, and 39 temperate and warm weeks but still, it's annoying....

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bob shiftright said:
.....I really wish the Honda engineers had taken the cars up to Siberia to test 'em during the winter! Cold weather performance is nowhere near Saab's or Volvo's. Fortunately, we only have 13 weeks of winter here, and 39 temperate and warm weeks but still, it's annoying....
Aha!!!!!

Remember that stuff about whether a car performs better in warmer weather? I was the instigator of the subject, saying that I had the impression that cars do better in warmer weather (within certain limits of course -- I didn't say HOTTER weather), and I was quickly hooted down. Actually, after a while (when I wouldn't give up and kept asking for more opinions, which I've been known to do :D ), it began emerging that it's complicated, because (as I suspected) there are multiple factors -- it's not just the engine (which people thought would definitely do better in COLDER weather), but also other things including tire temperature and road surface temperature. But that's where the subject died.

Sounds like Bob is implying some agreement with my impression, maybe especially with the TSX.

What do you mean, Bob?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
larchmont said:
My sunglasses were once the source of an anonymous rattle. The not an ashtray holds my coins well enough that I rarely hear them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
bob shiftright said:
I also have a flashlight in the door "map" compartment and a few cassette tapes.
I keep an umbrella in the door compartment. It's snug enough not to rattle. Ok, it's not as cool as the RR umbrella that pops out of the Phantom's doors :(

1 - 20 of 39 Posts