Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

EDIT: This thread began as a search for info but I'm retitling it to include my review, which begins on post #13.

Got my pulleys and belt from NST today, I am pretty sure they sent me the wrong ones. If anyone has info to help me verify this, please chime in.

The belt I got is a Duralast 675K7.
The crank pulley I got is 4 7/8" diameter.

From my study, the belt above fits an RSX, and the NST crank pulley should be 5.2".

NST is very hard to reach on the phone or e-mail, I wanted some verification from folks who have experience with the correct parts before I return these.

Thanks! Here's a pic:

Reactions: CalgaryTSX

·
-
1,750 Posts
You will have to call NST to see if the crank pulley and belt are correct.

Did you order just the crank pulley or the alternator pulley also?

That pulley diameter is interesting though and you might just want to run it.

Here is my info on TSX crank pulley's from several years ago:

Stock TSX steel crank damper dia------ 6.125", 4.6 lbs.
Stock K20A2/PRB steel crank damper----5.80", ___ lbs.
Stock K20Z1/PRC steel crank damper----5.40", 4.2 lbs. US$110. Actual US$160 (2005-06 RSX-S)

Fluiddamper steel crank damper-------- 5.875", 6.5 lbs, US$350.
ATI street aluminum crank damper----- 5.500", 3.6 lbs, US$330.

Alutec alum crank pulley----- 5.8", __ lbs, US$250.
UR alum crank pulley-------- 5.125", 0.75 lbs, US$___, (US$350 for the kit.)
NST alum crank pulley------- 5.2", 0.81 lbs, US$125.
T1R alum crank pulley--------5.8", 1.43 lbs, US$180.

The NST website (NonStopTuning) is terrible as it doesn't list actual pulley diameters. It just states "15% underdriven" or "overdriven" rather than actual diameters.
The NST crank pulley should be 15% underdriven which is 15% less than 6.125" which should be 5.20".

Your crank pulley is 4.9" which works out to 15% of 5.8", the standard K20 RSX crank pulley.
This makes it nearly the same diameter as the UR crank pulley.

If you are able to confirm the crank pulley will fit your TSX, I would run it. You may need a custom length belt but that's no problem.
Determine approximately what length belt you need and then go to any auto parts store, purchase several belts near the length you need and try them to see what fits best.
Return the ones (including the NST belt) that don't fit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
did you purchase an underdrive crank pulley...? underdrive pulley may very well be smaller in diameter than oem....

you should've gone with UR ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just talked to Mike at NST. Apparently this is the one that fits our cars, which means the 5.2" is incorrect unless someone has pictures.

I'm deciding whether to install it or return it.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
i just installed these... never thought to measure it b/c i bought them from another member on here who had never installed them. but everything seems fine but i will double check the sizes when i get it on a hoist

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Calgary, I got both. Thanks for the info.

Firstsx, that is reassuring. I assume you got the same belt as me? While you're at it, how about some impressions after install?

I'm leaning on keeping the pulleys, Mike was very nice and reassured me that they were the right ones. I invited him to chime in on this post and speak to the measurement confusion, which I hope he will.

·
-
1,750 Posts
Just talked to Mike at NST. Apparently this is the one that fits our cars, which means the 5.2" is incorrect unless someone has pictures.

I'm deciding whether to install it or return it.

Well that means NST's website is incorrect when it comes to TSX's. :mad:

Anyway, I would install it if you have a 6 speed manual trans.
It's just slightly smaller than the common underdriven UR crank pulley.
No one has charging problems with those with a 6 speed manual.

This smaller & much lighter crank pulley will provide better performance.

As I mentioned, don't get hung up on the belt. Just purchase the right size belt using trial and error. A little tighter on the belt tension marks is better than too loose.
Also, I recommend bumping the starter to loosen the crank pulley bolt.

P.S. I don't recall where I got the 5.2" diameter from for the NST pulley. I think that Heeltoe Automotive carried the NST pulleys & had that dimension on their website at that time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still hoping Mike or somebody from NST will post on this thread as I requested and clear things up for myself and future customers.

The overdrive alternator pulley is pictured below. The OEM one is about 2.5"; this one is about 2.125". I'm not an expert on the science of pulleys but I'm assuming it's smaller diameter since it's overdriving the alternator a tad, so it needs to spin faster, hence a smaller pulley.

·
-
1,750 Posts
Still hoping Mike or somebody from NST will post on this thread as I requested and clear things up for myself and future customers.

The overdrive alternator pulley is pictured below. The OEM one is about 2.5"; this one is about 2.125". I'm not an expert on the science of pulleys but I'm assuming it's smaller diameter since it's overdriving the alternator a tad, so it needs to spin faster, hence a smaller pulley.

I was hoping you would have those pulleys installed by now!! ;)

Some math to see how you new pulleys will affect rotational speeds of your other devices:

The stock TSX crank pulley is 6.125" in diameter.
Your new NST crank pulley is 4.8" in diameter.
This means your new crank pulley will under drive the accessories by about 22%. (NOT the 15% that NST states on their website).

The NST alternator pulley is 2.125". Original alternator pulley is 2.5". Therefore the new smaller alternator pulley is being overdriven by about 15%.

BUT the crank pulley is underdriving the alternator pulley by 22%!

So, overall the alternator is being underdriven by about 7% , which is nothing.

Conclusion: INSTALL your new pulleys!!

BTW, I've had the RSX-S 5.4" steel crank pulley installed for over 2 years with zero issues at all. The rest of my pulleys are original.
If I had to do it again, I would have installed the UR underdriven crank pulley or this NST underdriven crank pulley.
I would have left the other pulleys stock, including the alternator pulleys.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was hoping you would have those pulleys installed by now!! ;)
Hello again,

Thanks for both your help on this thread and your previous data on pulleys. I did the same math as you above and feel pretty decent about putting them on. My only issue is that I had a pretty difficult transaction with NST; I won't go into detail, but that experience combined with the size discrepancies have given me the cold shoulder on this and I'm considering sending it back, I just don't feel the confidence to put these on my car because of these above.

On the other hand, I finally did talk with Mike from NST last evening on the phone, and his explanation and apology for all of the above restored my confidence in these parts - mostly. I asked him to reply to this post and "go public" with his endorsement of these products that have different measurements than the ones advertised on his site. I am hoping he follows up here soon, I've asked him to.

My little girl has been in the hospital today and will have another visit tomorrow so I've been distracted. Once I'm beyond all of that I'm either going to send them back or install them at the end of the week.

MIKE FROM NST I'm betting on you here and trying to put some good rep in your corner...how about taking a moment and chiming in on all of this?

·
Banned
39 Posts
First off,

Thank you for your interest in our site and products guys, we certainly do appreciate it.

Jeff, the pulleys you received and have pictured above are the same exact pulleys we have been selling for the TSX K24, since 2006. The specs, weights, etc have not changed since day one.

In fact, here is a link to the FIRST EVER testing of this same pulley kit, on a TSX, here on your own forums... Photos, specs, dyno charts, etc...
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/16224-nst-pulley-kit-installation-pics-dyno.html

As I said in one of our email exchanges a few days ago, You have indeed received a TSX kit. Our crank pulley is an Underdrive Crank Pulley, smaller than your OEM pulley. Our alternator pulley is an Overdrive Alternator Pulley, also smaller than your OEM pulley. The belt that you received is necessary for proper installation. You can use either K070675, K070673, or K070670. ANY ONE OF THOSE THREE WILL FIT THE NST KIT ON THE TSX.

All of this stuff is also listed on our website...
NST - NonStopTuning

As I said in an email, and on the phone, you are welcome to return your unused pulley kit for a full refund, if you are unhappy.

And finally, here is a link to our comprehensive thread on the Civic forums, for the NST K20 Pulley Kit. The K20 and K24 kits are VERY similar. You will find pages and pages filled with hundreds and hundreds of positive reviews, going back several years...
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Thanks again, good luck and have fun with all your projects!

MIKE @ NST
NST - NonStopTuning - The Leader In Sport Compact Pulley Development

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off,

Thank you for your interest in our site and products guys, we certainly do appreciate it.

Jeff, the pulleys you received and have pictured above are the same exact pulleys we have been selling for the TSX K24, since 2006. The specs, weights, etc have not changed since day one.

As I said in one of our email exchanges a few days ago, You have indeed received a TSX kit. Our crank pulley is an Underdrive Crank Pulley, smaller than your OEM pulley. Our alternator pulley is an Overdrive Alternator Pulley, also smaller than your OEM pulley. The belt that you received is necessary for proper installation. You can use either K070675, K070673, or K070670. ANY ONE OF THOSE THREE WILL FIT THE NST KIT ON THE TSX.

All of this stuff is also listed on our website...
NST - NonStopTuning

MIKE @ NST
Mike, thanks for responding. I'll be installing the kit tomorrow and will post some impressions for others to see.

I would suggest you update your website to portray an accurate description of what you're selling. In addition to the pulley size percentage issues, the belt you sent me is not what I bought. Your website, which you linked above, specifies that I will receive a Gates K070673 belt, which is a Gates belt. Instead I received a Duralast 675K7, pictured below. Duralast is an inferior brand and is about half the price of a Gates.

It may, according to the chart at the link below, fit my car, though the exact numbers don't line up:

Serpentine K Belt Cross Reference - 7 Ribs K Series

Overall, I believe you and will install these pulleys. I am still not happy about the belt and feel that you have been misleading, and should do something about it. Duralast will probably last for a time, but the fact that you sold me a premium belt but sent me an Autozone belt is bothersome.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK I got them installed today for $69, everything fit nicely, I'm glad I kept them, I have some pics to post and will post a detailed review later once I've driven it over the weekend.

First impressions, I notice a difference mostly in first gear, haven't done much driving but we'll see how things feel after a few days.

Will be back....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK here's a video, it definitely spools up quicker in 1st and 2nd gear, the power gains feel about the same as the Hondata reflash did:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3GogX_TtGqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was this worth $250 plus $69 install? I dunno. All the hoopla about this transforming the car is a bit overstated I think. Maybe it's because I came from a 350hp STi before this. But it's a decent improvement for sure. I think I'm done with power mods for this car. It's nice.

·
-
1,750 Posts
Nice follow up and install pictures. :thumbsup:

I mentioned this earlier but keep an eye on the pulley tensioner reference marks.
The serpentine belt will wear in or stretch a slight amount.
Make sure the tensioner marks are at least at the middle point but a little tighter is better.
Not on the loose side of the marks at all.

·
Save the manuals!
207 Posts
Looking forward to your additional driving impressions!

I Had a UR under drive pulley set on my old J30 Accord. The first day I felt a difference but wasn't "wowed". As time went on I noticed merging onto the highway etc the engine revved noticeably quicker and in turn the car was quicker.

Think ill get pulleys on the TSX eventually but my love for the car makes me paranoid - what with all the pulley-naysayers.

PS: had the pulleys on that car 30000+ miles without engine failure- had dimming of headlights (with amp and shitty Delphi alt.) and a belt would occasionally squeal when turning sharply at startup in cold weather (is that the aluminum or belt?).

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it's been about a week, no squeaks, no low battery, no bad side effects of this.

1st gear is the big gain here, nothing special beyond that, but it's worthwhile if you're impressed with the 5-10hp gains. It is noticeable but it's not an "it's so much faster my friend noticed" type of mod.

·
Registered
71 Posts
okay... so I hate to have to bring up an old thread but I have a concern about nonstop tuning and their customer service, let alone their existence. lets just say that I ordered a crank pulley for my car from their website on march 10th and received the order confirmation email and have not heard from them since, so I have emailed, called multiple times and left a voicemail and even pm'd forum member "nonstoptuning" on here and still to no avail. I would just like any kind of update because I wanted to install the crank pulley while I had my motor apart and now im already finished fixing my car but still want to install a new lightweight crank pulley or get a refund so I can buy one from somewhere else. if anyone could help me find a way to contact nonstoptuning I would deeply appreciate it and sorry if this is the wrong type of post for this thread, but this was the thread that I read that led me to think that I should get a nonstopstuning crank pulley.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.