Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda Pulls Plug on the NSX SuperCar

Posted: December 17th, 2008

Honda keeps dropping one shocking news after another. After announcing that it is pulling out of Formula One racing, Honda now says that the Nissan GT-R will no longer have a competitor. That’s right the company has pulled the plug on the 600-hp 5.5L V10 NSX supercar due to an economic slowdown and declining sales.

Besides having a running prototype and posting some competitive Nurburgring laps, Honda’s CEO Takeo Fukui said that all development on the NSX will cease.

Honda was expected to show a concept version of the NSX at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show next month. Now all Detroit funding will go towards showing the production Insight Hybrid, FC Sport, FCX Clarity and the CR-Z concept.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
Awwww

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
hmm. I guess that sucks. Not necessarily for me though as I wouldn't be able to afford a new one.

·
v8 juice is the siiiit
266 Posts
the title alone made my eyes bug out :hmmph: i think whether any of us on here has the money to buy it or not, it'd still be nice for honda/acura to level up with some of our competitors with a powerful sports car. i believe aside from the S2K and possible S3K, we have nothing else in the line up.

even then, S2K isn't all that comparable to nissan's GTR, bimmers Ms, mercedes 63 series, etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I feel sad about it. I think both Honda and Acura are going downhill after 2003. I was expecting the new NSX would save or improve the Acura brand. The Integra, 98 Accord, 99 TL, S2000 and the Legend, those were great car at their time period. The new models are nice after 2003 but compare to others, it's kind of lacking behind.

Now, please bring us the A-VTEC in 2009, Honda.

·
Jon Daily Boulevard
5,554 Posts
the title alone made my eyes bug out :hmmph: i think whether any of us on here has the money to buy it or not, it'd still be nice for honda/acura to level up with some of our competitors with a powerful sports car. i believe aside from the S2K and possible S3K, we have nothing else in the line up.

even then, S2K isn't all that comparable to nissan's GTR, bimmers Ms, mercedes 63 series, etc.
Dang we were just talking about this last night. Weird, guess Honda heard us and decided to pull the plug. :D

Even though I'd prolly never be able to actually purchase one, I do agree it would have been nice to have the new Supercar in Honda's stable.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boo

I ponder if it was far enough along that Acura could still use some it so that it was not a total waste of time/resources. Maybe they can tone it down into a new CL?

·
v8 juice is the siiiit
266 Posts
im personally not a hardcore fan of CLs, but i was thinking maybe bringing back the RSX-S and throw in some "luxury" looking things, recent technology, leather cushioned seats, navi option, and what not. maybe we should all be the future creators of this car company! someone call and make an appointment and we'll have one of us represent us.

tsxclub ftw :festive: we'll make money, share profits, and buy new parts!

·
n/a
8,573 Posts
im personally not a hardcore fan of CLs, but i was thinking maybe bringing back the RSX-S and throw in some "luxury" looking things, recent technology, leather cushioned seats, navi option, and what not. maybe we should all be the future creators of this car company! someone call and make an appointment and we'll have one of us represent us.

tsxclub ftw :festive: we'll make money, share profits, and buy new parts!
man forget the rsx. Acura should make up a brand new coupe with the nsx technology!

On another note: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. WHYYYY.

·
On and Off Member
527 Posts
Damn them! :(

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
I feel sad about it. I think both Honda and Acura are going downhill after 2003. I was expecting the new NSX would save or improve the Acura brand. The Integra, 98 Accord, 99 TL, S2000 and the Legend, those were great car at their time period. The new models are nice after 2003 but compare to others, it's kind of lacking behind.

Now, please bring us the A-VTEC in 2009, Honda.
I don't think the Acura line has gone downhill since 2003. It has been more of a change of direction. But as of 2009, now you're talking downhill. But all my opinion.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
this is just further proof that honda is unwilling to do what it takes to make acura true luxury brand.

granted, not everyone would be able to afford the NSX and it's only 1 car, but look at how many fuel-effiecient/alt-energy vehicles they're devoting their resources to on the honda side. is there a market for those cars? sure. but why scrap the NSX after all the time and money put in, and the projected date so close?

i love how the full press release mentioned honda's business plan for the next 100 years. i guess the NSX didn't fit into their century long model after looking into the crystal ball.

at least postpone the project until conditions become more favorable. yeesh.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not too worried about this.. a true nsx is a mid engine car anyway.. but honda could have used that 500+hp.. but it still wouldn't beat the skyliner.. so as for right now.. nissan should hold on to that title.. its a beast for 400 hp.. I give it props.. but the zr1 will spank it.. so they should turn up the booosttttt.. haha

·
On and Off Member
527 Posts
What about Toyota? Are they bringing back the Supra? Could be a competition with the Skyline.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i doubt they gonna make a new supra either if honda isn't gonna help acura release the nsx... honda just top toyota.. but i think lexus LF-A is gonna be in the game ..but competing with the audi r8..

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
cheap fawkers

1 - 20 of 38 Posts