Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I heard that the NSX R calipers are a direct bolt on for our rides. I am trying to find out more information around. Has anyone done this upgrade ?

Cheers

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Where would you find a set of NSX-R calipers to begin with? And are we talking about NA1 or NA2? In either, both 4-pots are nothing impressive compared to what Nissin has to truly offer for Hondas.

In short, yes the NSX 4-pots are a simple bolt on to most Hondas include AP1, BB6, DC2. But I wouldn't bother with this "retrofit".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noel

In your opinion what is the best bang for bang brake upgrade package ? I only know of Spoon, AP Racing and Endless. Never heard of Nissin but the ones I mentioned are around USD 1.8k-4k. My friend has ordered a set of brembos for Acura TL at 2.5k I think..Ouch...

Thanks

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Nissin Corporation makes - OEM Honda (Car + Bikes), Mugen & Spoon.

My best "bang for the buck" would no doubt be Spoon. Why? Because it's used in their endurance race car without any problems. While the Mugen design is a more "refined" version of the OEM NSX calipers which would be pretty much a pointless upgrade.

The best thing about Spoon is, you can retain the use of OEM Honda pads which no other calipers can accomodate even those Honda factory Brembos. Your friend is gonna have a problem sourcing replacement brake pads if there isn't a Brembo distributor/reseller in Singapore/Malaysia.

While all the other calipers are also racing calipers, they're all well noted makes, ala - Alcon, AP Racing - Lockheed Martin, Brembo, Endless, Project Mu, Stoptech, Wilwood. But the only problem with using those applications is, you have to use their brake pads.

I will no doubt choose the Spoon setup because pads replacement is the easiest, not to mention race companies above also sell replacement pads for OEM makes - Spoon calipers without much concern as well. If you're buying Spoon, let me know. I'll let you know the exact setup you'd need since Spoon doesn't have one "specifically" for the CL7/9.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
3,158 Posts
Noel said:
Where would you find a set of NSX-R calipers to begin with? And are we talking about NA1 or NA2? In either, both 4-pots are nothing impressive compared to what Nissin has to truly offer for Hondas.

In short, yes the NSX 4-pots are a simple bolt on to most Hondas include AP1, BB6, DC2. But I wouldn't bother with this "retrofit".

quick question

is there an NA1 type r?

if yes, then is it like the last two years or something?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
NeoChaser said:
is there an NA1 type r? if yes, then is it like the last two years or something?
Actually quite the opposite. I'll give you a difference explanation.

NA1 NSX-R = 5MT 3.0L V6 C30b (Limited production found in the late 80s - 90s only). Easy distinction - Black roof and white wheels on all colors. No carbon panels implemented.

NA2 NSX-R = 6MT 3.2L V6 C32b (Current limited production found in the current century).

·
, Moderator Emeritus
3,158 Posts
icic, cause i just thought there was no "R" for NA1 except Type S Zero...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noel

For spoons I thought we can only use the monoblocks. It looks pretty on my blue ride but the screeching sound is unbearable. This is what I heard first hand on the other CL7 that fixed the spoon.

Regards

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Yes that's right, the CL7/9 will use the monoblock calipers type matched with the S2000 brackets. The noise is strictly related to the brake pads, not calipers design, type or stype.

It sounds like "racing - high temperature" pads have been used instead of road pads. The CL7/9 should be using OEM genuine Honda S2000 front pads on the Spoon calipers for road use. The Spoon pads are not designed for road use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noel

What kind of price am I am looking at for spoon monos ? USD 1800 i suppose in US..How about oz ? If only its below SGD 2000

Thanks

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I'm afraid that's not quite possible. The calipers alone cost me slightly over SGD$2,000 and that's direct from Japan without going through any middle man. I have direct contacts with Japan and if you're serious about it, I can get you a set on the price I pay. Drop me a PM.

·
Non-Registered User
1,441 Posts
i've sen several big brake upgrade, but very very few done rite, it's pointless just upgrading the front, you ned to upgrade all around to maintain the ratio of brake distribution for best balance, or as with almost all instalations yo see premature lockup and shorter braking distance, even though you will feel better reponsce and less fade, your braking is still suffering. ther recently has been many articles out critzing big brake kits and how they are useless unless they are all around and tuned by "brake tunner" not just any brake guy lol.

i just did the RealTimeRacing all around carbon ceramic conversion from Hawk.. still waiting on new disc thou...

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Cyde said:
i've sen several big brake upgrade, but very very few done rite, it's pointless just upgrading the front, you ned to upgrade all around to maintain the ratio of brake distribution for best balance, or as with almost all instalations yo see premature lockup and shorter braking distance, even though you will feel better reponsce and less fade, your braking is still suffering.
I seriously question what you've stated. May I ask, have you actually seen a Spoon caliper upgrade on a Honda or an NSX caliper upgrade and how it's changed it's braking properties?

It is NOT pointless to just upgrade the front especially on a Honda. Not only do you have to remember that 70%-80% of the brake bias on any car is front bias, which means you'd always if not in the majority require larger calipers than the rear. I cannot see any justification on this statement considering all cars have larger front calipers than the rear on just about every make under the sun.

In fact, should you upgrade your rear calipers, very often you'd lose the use of your handbrake and most definitely find that the OEM master brake cylinder and ABS unit setup may not work optimally thus causing premature activation with common symptoms of lock-up, longer braking distances, excessive brake pad wear.

Theory beyond understanding is one thing to talk about, while application and practice is yet another. Not only have respective race tuners like Spoon who release OEM caliper upgrades for only the front having no problems justifying their use even under extreme 24 hour racing conditions, I cannot find any justification of proof of otherwise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seems like this might be a good place to chime in.

Maximum braking occurs when all 4 wheels are about to lock up, before abs is engaged. If the front wheels lock up before the rear wheels lock up, the rear wheels are being underutilized in terms of braking power. Please see the following link for more information on brake bias and balance.
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/brakebiasandperformance.htm

In regard to rear brake upgrades. Please see the following link
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/rear_brake_upgrade_is_bigger_better120601.htm

For even more questions that you may have about brakes, please see the FAQ on the stoptech site. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/

There is also the technical section. http://www.stoptech.com/technical/

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Joker said:
Hello, and welcome to the Club StopTech :wavey:
yes very welcome!! :wavey:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brembo now has a set for TSX...Look under Gran Turismo Brakes Kit...4 pod with brake hoses and new pads included...its USD 2000 in singapore.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts