Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ummm what?
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had dealer fix this when it was still under warranty but has come back. they said it was a ground issue.

only the right side lights up with doors ajar but left side turns on when pressed for map light. i took apart tonight and everything appears to be fine.

any help?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had dealer fix this when it was still under warranty but has come back. they said it was a ground issue.

only the right side lights up with doors ajar but left side turns on when pressed for map light. i took apart tonight and everything appears to be fine.

any help?
How very odd haha I was just into the dealership with mine about that same thing and they replaced the circuit board behind that fixture and said it was bad seams to work so far. it cost 145 installed. Hope this helps

·
Registered
69 Posts
The problem is in the switch behind the clear lens on the map light. I took mine apart, removed the small switch,opened the switch up (you have to break it), bent the contacts and glued it back together. Its been working awesome ever since. Hope this helps.

·
ummm what?
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this switch is causing the driver map light to NOT come on when door is opened but will turn on when manually pushed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey guys brand new 2006 tsx owner. Just realized my car has the same issue where drivers "map light" wont light up when door opens but can manually turn it on just fine. Can any one further explain how to fix this?

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
hey guys brand new 2006 tsx owner. Just realized my car has the same issue where drivers "map light" wont light up when door opens but can manually turn it on just fine. Can any one further explain how to fix this?
if you read the thread, there's no further explanation needed.

4 successful solutions have been presented.

1. take it to the dealer if under warranty, and they will fix it.

2. if not an option, then buy an entire replacement unit used from
a salvage yard, ebay, whatever, and swap the whole thing out.

3. if you don't want to replace the whole unit, go online and buy
just the piece you need new. and just replace that. and for that,
here's the link:
BASE

that includes the board, switch, etc. it's what the dealer would
replace and it's what they called replacing the circuit board.
it's actually replacing the whole unit that holds the light and switch.

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=part_picker&make=Acura&model=TSX&year=2005&version=4DR TSX&transmission=KA5AT&system=PARTS&component=INTERIOR LIGHT

^my first link is #8 above.

4. fix it yourself. use this diagram above to understand how it's
screwed together. take the unit out, locate the switch, break it
open, fix it yourself, glue it back together, hope it works.

personally, I'd go with option #3. it's the cheapest and most
reliable of all the options if you can just swap the parts yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you read the thread, there's no further explanation needed.

4 successful solutions have been presented.

1. take it to the dealer if under warranty, and they will fix it.

2. if not an option, then buy an entire replacement unit used from
a salvage yard, ebay, whatever, and swap the whole thing out.

3. if you don't want to replace the whole unit, go online and buy
just the piece you need new. and just replace that. and for that,
here's the link:
BASE

that includes the board, switch, etc. it's what the dealer would
replace and it's what they called replacing the circuit board.
it's actually replacing the whole unit that holds the light and switch.

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=part_picker&make=Acura&model=TSX&year=2005&version=4DR TSX&transmission=KA5AT&system=PARTS&component=INTERIOR LIGHT

^my first link is #8 above.

4. fix it yourself. use this diagram above to understand how it's
screwed together. take the unit out, locate the switch, break it
open, fix it yourself, glue it back together, hope it works.

personally, I'd go with option #3. it's the cheapest and most
reliable of all the options if you can just swap the parts yourself.
Thanks links are very helpful and is what i was looking for i guess, will probably go with your suggested #3 option.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had this problem as well.

So the link just lists "BASE". That hardly tells us what the part is, what it looks like, which pieces it actually includes etc.

Does anyone know any more about how to fix this? Or what BASE means? (The part).

How hard is it to fix by replacing?

I have a 2005 so it's obviously out of warranty.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So i know that this is a pretty old thread but i was around searching google and only found help to my issue here.

My problem was that the drivers side map light would not come on at all when i pushed it. The bulb was not blown. I took off the covers, unscrewed the two screws inside the light housing and removed the lights and homelink system. ( there are two connectors so be careful when pulling the assembly down. The white switches, or buttons, themselves are removable. You just slide them off their prongs, opposite direction of the housing. I cleaned one of the prongs on the switch that was giving me issues and swapped the two on either sides and it worked for me. No need to purchase the 35$ item 8 on that diagram unless you try this and it fails...

thought id post up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just bought an 06 pwp and noticed this same issue when i got home. only the passenger side map light came on when the door was opened but when pushed the driver side worked fine.used the method stated by coastie5685 and worked perfect afterwards. tsxclub saved me money once again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm going to buy the base from the dealer (Honda). What is funny is they don't have to order it. They keep them on hand... hmm... :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm going to buy the base from the dealer (Honda). What is funny is they don't have to order it. They keep them on hand... hmm... :)
Yes I got one from my dealer here locally a few months ago. He said they break all the time so he keeps them stocked on the shelf. That and door lock actuators.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Another addition to this thread... I had this issue and ordered the replacement switches themsleves, instead of paying for the whole base. The base is simple enough, plastic with some aluminum circuit traces, no need to replace the whole thing!

The switches themselves are not made by Honda, they are made by ALPS in Japan, and can be bought for 99c to a few bucks each. Part ID is SPED210200, and searching google, numerous other late model Honda owners have ordered this same part as well rather than paying 50-150 for a assembly with this switch included. I just ordered some from mouser electronics last night and will report back once I get them. Seems like a great lead though!

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ALPS/SPED210200/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvxtGF7dlGNpnPSaLmjR30MxrKTSZsx0jI= the one on the right is the 210200. Looks like we are close to resolving this issue once and for all, and on the cheap!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Similar issue - can anyone point to a video on how to clean the prongs as recommended by Coastie5685? Happy Holidays to all!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the opposite problem as some of you.

My map lights only work when interacting with the door. In the "door" mode, the lights turn on when opening the door and I can manually turn them off by pushing them. When the door is closed, I can't turn the lights on or off. In "off" mode, I can't get the lights to turn on in any situation.

Note: my lights were NOT working at all and I changed out the base today and now am in the situation above.

Any ideas? The dealerships around me are quoting me 150 bucks just to take a look at it

·
Registered
27 Posts
So i know that this is a pretty old thread but i was around searching google and only found help to my issue here.

My problem was that the drivers side map light would not come on at all when i pushed it. The bulb was not blown. I took off the covers, unscrewed the two screws inside the light housing and removed the lights and homelink system. ( there are two connectors so be careful when pulling the assembly down. The white switches, or buttons, themselves are removable. You just slide them off their prongs, opposite direction of the housing. I cleaned one of the prongs on the switch that was giving me issues and swapped the two on either sides and it worked for me. No need to purchase the 35$ item 8 on that diagram unless you try this and it fails...

thought id post up.
Just fixed this issue on my TSX the other day. My driver side switch was not making good contact with the 3 prong connectors on the base piece. Driver side Dome light would not light up under any circumstances. Pulled the base out, popped both the white switches out, bent the contacts on the base down a little bit so they would make good contact on both switches (passenger side works fine, preventative maintenance), then my driver side Dome light proceeded to work normally. :tu2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
switch has new part number

FYI the ALPS switch SPED210200 is no longer available on Mouser. The new version of it is P/N: SPED210203, and I confirmed that it works.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts