Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
Didn't see a thread about this. Figured to start one now. This should help people with decisions on what to buy when new brakes are needed.

Post your set up including rotor brand, pad brand, calipers (if applicable), and if you have SS lines. Your review with total mileage on the set up. Let the fun begin...

·
Retired Regional Meet Leader
3,464 Posts
Thanks BigBurton for starting this thread. Maybe in the future there will be a way for us to separate this thread by brand cause we all may have different combos of rotors and pads. Here goes my review.

Rotors: 1)Brembo Blank 2)EBC Ultimax
Pads: 1)Akebono pads 2)EBC Green Stuff
SS Lines: Goodridge
Mileage: 25,000 miles

Review: Around 50,000 miles I initially replaced my rotors with Brembo blanks and Akebono brake pads via tirerack.com. That was an improvement over the stock honda rotors and pads, and gave me a bit more confidence if I had to hard brake, but it still didn't have the stopping power I wanted. Akebono pads also created a lot of dust. Brembo blanks were a good alternative to stock, but began wearing out for me after 30,000+ miles. I wanted something that had better performance that could hold up to autocross and possibly track. After doing some research and reading reviews, I went with the EBC green stuff and rotors. The green stuff pads not only looked really cool, but they were from a reputable company. EBC has been making performance braking parts for a while. Once set-up with my new EBC brakes, there was a squeaking noise whenever I braked when the brakes were cold, and had to be warmed up so the noise would go away. After several hundred miles, that squealing went away all together. Some members go with the red stuff pads for even more stopping power, but the green stuff pads are more than sufficient for the daily driver. So far, the rotors have been great. The only complaint I have is that the rotor seems to warp easy. After less than 15,000 miles, it already seems as if at times the rotors feel warped in the front. I would definitely recommend this set up for the driver who wants a bit more performance oriented brake set up at a phenomenal/economical price. AutoAnything.com can get you green stuff front pads and ultimax front rotors with free shipping for I believe around $230? I'm at around 92,000 miles now and would definitely replace my existing brakes with EBC again when the time comes, but I will be going to a BBK. As far as stainless steel brake lines go, I only felt a minor difference initially. I will say that the brake pedal seems to be more firm and less "spongy" since I put in the brake lines. Haven't autocrossed or tracked my tsx since I put in the brake lines so I can't comment on its performance yet.

·
MH-53e Driver
159 Posts
Pads: EBC Red Stuff
Rotors: EBC Slotted
Lines: Stop-Tech SS
(Setup is front and rear)
Mileage: 12,000

Initial impressions were good. It seemed like it took the pads several days to seat fully and score the rotors. The bite is very good with the lines making for very little pedal travel before the car slams to a halt. Overall, the improvement over stock was noticeable. Brake dust is minimal, maybe even less than stock. My major complaint with the setup is that within about 5,000 miles of install the rotors began to show signs of warping and are now completely warped. I think I may be to blame because I was too hard on the brakes before they had a chance to fully bed to the rotors. If I were going to do this setup, I would highly recommend the pads but also recommend you look else where for rotors. I'm in the process of swapping to a Wilwood BBK and will post my driving impressions after they break in.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just purchased the HT-Spec 1 Kit (slotted rotors,pads,ss lines) from Heeltoe. I'll have to let you know how they feel once they arrive/installed.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Pads : Hawk HPS ( F, R )
Rotors : Rotora Drilled , Slotted ( F, R )
Line : Goodridge SS ( F, R )
Brake Oil : Motul

installed about 200mls ago still not break-in yet
but i can tell the BIG difference over the stock rotors and pads..

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,037 Posts
1st braking system upgrade consisted of Rotora's 4Piston Calipers, Rotora SS Lines(Front only), Rotora Pads, and 2PC Slotted Rotors.

First impressions: Definitely an improvement over the OEM stuff in terms of pedal feel, responsiveness and looks! Some cons I realized were the need for 18"+ Rim size because of the massive rotors, lots of brake dust and some squealing on the initial braking for the day... after warming up it goes away. Oh and OEM Honda brakefluid was used.

Went back to stock after a season of using that kit, and believe me when I say it takes a lot more effort for the car to slow down.

This season I have a new setup consisting of:
Spoon Monoblock Calipers
Stoptech Slotted Rotors
ATE Ceramic Pads
ATE Super Blue Fluid
J's Racing SS Lines front and rear.
(Will probably pick up some slotted rear rotors as well)

Hopefully this setup yields good results but alot of it is just for the bling because I'm into car shows etc.

·
2009 TSX + Tech Package
3 Posts
2009 TSX 52000 miles

Hey all-

Just got my car used and it has 52,000 miles. When I first got the car I noticed the brake squeak. Previous owner had new pads put on the rear at 30,000 miles. The squeak sounds like its coming from the front. From reading through the forums it seems like the brakes on these Acura are junk. I'm looking to change out my brakes and ultimately want to stop the squeak. What is the best cost efficient and quality rotors and pads for a daily driver like myself?

Any thoughts on akebono pro-ACT ceramic pads?

Second question, should I change the rotors and pads at the same time? Is it okay to just change the pads and not mess with the rotor or should I at least have them turned?

Any information is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
hangry
104 Posts
i'm currently using brembo blanks with akebono pro-act cermaics and i'm loving it so far. much better than oem and i'm hoping the rotors don't warp as fast with this combination.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
Rotors - eBay brand
Pads - Evolution (eBay)
SS Lines - Apex

Installed this setup with 78k on my car. I paid about $220 for everything and I have to say it has exceeded my expectations. All products were machined to perfection. After installing I have about 1k miles and the car brakes amazingly well and can stop very quickly with immediate response.

My response to the akebono pro act, I used the
An they lasted me 3 years and were very good compared to stock.

·
2009 TSX + Tech Package
3 Posts
Rotor - which one and where to buy?

I'm planning on putting the akebono ultra premiums on the front of my car. Should I change the rotors too?

My options:

(1)Change rotors when installing akebono pads

(2)Turn rotors when installing akebono pads

(3)Leave rotor alone and just change the pads

Which options do you guys think is best??? If (1) can you guys suggest a brand and cheapest place to buy. Are rotors sold from Advance auto any good (i.e. Wagner or wearever)?

·
I <3 My CL9
1,492 Posts
I'm planning on putting the akebono ultra premiums on the front of my car. Should I change the rotors too?

My options:

(1)Change rotors when installing akebono pads

(2)Turn rotors when installing akebono pads

(3)Leave rotor alone and just change the pads

Which options do you guys think is best??? If (1) can you guys suggest a brand and cheapest place to buy. Are rotors sold from Advance auto any good (i.e. Wagner or wearever)?
If you have the money then option 1. but if not atleast do option 2. I would say get racingbrake slotted rotors from heeltoeauto.com thats what I am planning on getting.
Heres what he has for 2nd gens: Brakes - Acura TSX 2009- CU2 - HeelToe Automotive

·
2009 TSX + Tech Package
3 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Heeltoe had an article about changing pads and rotors which was really informative. Anyone do the bed-in when they get new brake system setup? Would this warp my factory rotors?

·
2,608 Posts
This is what I have since spring of 2009:

Akebono ProACT pads
Brembo Blanks
Motul Brake Fluid

It's a good setup and feels a bit better then stock BUT I think my rotors are starting to warp now and it's still not enough stopping power for me, I want to go with a BBK setup but it's too expensive. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
My brake setup:

Front:
Alcon Advantage Extreme 4 pot (343mm floating rotors)
Pagid RS9-2 Pads
SSBH

Back:
Slotted rotors
Ferodo 600degrees pads.

The pads and the BBK together match perfectly. There is proper brake modulation, and the fade is minimal even after laps on the track. The down-side is the brake dust by the pads, but it doesn’t bother me.

I highly recommend this setup for anyone who wants to track the car, and enjoy spirited driving 24/7/365.

Cheers

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rotors: Racing Brake 1 piece slotted
Pads: Racing Brake ET500
Lines: FLP SS
Calipers: Stock

Purchased from Heeltoe. Here is the abridged version. After 80,000 miles of dealing with the stock brakes warping eventually after every replacement I decided to finally step up to an aftermarket setup. I've got about 4000 miles on the new setup and could not be happier. Pedal is much firmer and stopping power has improved massively. There is absolutely no shaking at all and stopping down from 100 plus mph is very impressive. The only thing I've noticed is a thrumming sound which must be coming from the slots in the rotors. When the rotors get very hot the thrumming sound gets a little louder but it's much more of a sound than a vibration. And the stopping confidence and complete lack of fade totally compensates for this issue. Overall very happy. My next setup is going to be a two piece Racing Brake BBK with Racing Brake calipers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts