Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p Lets keep all the reviews in this thread so people can just read about the Acura TSX here and get an idea what the car is all about. :D

Please help the site grow and reply with your review.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Well, maybe I'll do this in a little different form. The TSX has been out for 10 months now, so maybe a straight TSX write-up might seem like yesterday's news..... so, how about I make it a TSX-TL comparison. I know, that's yesterday's news too, but its not SO yesterday. :D

Full disclosure: I'm a TSX owner and fanatic, and only test-drove the TL. So I can't say I was objective about the TL, even though I really tried. Anyway, in our family of two here, we had a split decision. My wife picks the TL. I pick you-know-what. Since I'm the car expert, I'm obviously right. :confused:

The cars are quite similar in size, the TL being a little bigger. I consider them in the same size category, and it's a pretty exclusive category that includes only a few cars, kind of a "tweener" category -- bigger than the cars like the BMW 3-series, MB C-series, Volvo S40, Lexus IS300 etc., but smaller than the 5-series, S80, and ES330. Other cars in the same category are the Saab 9-3, the Jaguar X-type, the Infiniti G35, and the Volvo S60, which if anything is actually a tad smaller. The TSX actually has more height than any of the other cars mentioned (including the TL) except the G35 which is about the same. To me, size is the main factor determining the nature of the car, assuming it's cars of comparable basic quality, so these size-groupings are very useful guidelines for me. I know this isn't a common view. For example, most people regard the S40 as a better comp for the TSX than the S60, which I don't understand at all, but it is so.

The TL feels significantly bigger to me than the TSX, both for better and for worse. Except that I didn't notice much if any advantage in ride comfort. But the lady (in the passenger seat), maybe a more objective observer, feels the TL ride is far more comfortable. I think it may be a common experience about the TSX, that the driver likes the ride better than the passenger does. But it's not like anybody feels the ride sucks -- for a car of this category, the ride is probably at least average (and clearly better than most of those slightly-smaller cars which many people consider to be in the same category), and as you can see from the above list, it's a tough category. The ride has a feeling of great stability and solidity, maybe in part because of the relatively heavy rims and the relatively great weight in general (for a car of its size). You definitely feel bad bumps, like freeway expansion joints, but there's just one brief "bump," and then immediately you're right back where you want to be, like nothing happened. Since the TL is a bit bigger, I expected it might be a big improvement on those bad bumps, but to me, it's not; I thought there was little if any difference.

Both the TSX and the TL have fairly quiet rides, and the noise that you do hear is more like MUSIC! -- It's sweet. And the engine noise is very, very low. I recently rented a G35 for a few days. I thought it had considerably more engine noise than both the TSX and the TL.

You definitely become aware of the greater power of the TL as compared to the TSX. This makes a big difference to a lot of people, but very little difference to me. The TSX, while not a very powerful car, is more than adequate, and I do not find it lacking in the least, despite never having had a 4-cyl before (my 3 previous cars were BMW 320i, Acura Legend L, and Acura TL-S). People often say that it feels more powerful than it is. My TSX is the 5AT. The 6MT is a bit more powerful, but the AT is fine. And, oh, both of the transmissions get raves, especially the MT. No, especially both of them -- they're both considered extraordinary for what they are.

You definitely feel the greater interior room of the TL. But for me as a driver, the greater interior room oddly is a disadvantage. I love the snug feel of the TSX driver seat; by comparison, I'm just floating around in the TL seat. But the lady would kill to have that TL passenger seat over the TSX one. She says it's not just the larger size, it's the whole thing -- much more comfortable, better support, more leg room of course, and the power adjustment helps a lot. But I've never felt healthier (and stronger) than I do in the TSX seat. Very individual, of course. You gotta try it. About the rear seat, I don't really know, I basically don't go there, but people in general (and reviewers) tend to give the TSX high marks for a car of its size. The TL of course is bigger and better in this respect. (The main size difference between the cars is the unusually great WIDTH of the TL, which can help a lot on the rear seating.)

About the handling: A little hard to say either car is "better" or "worse," because they're different in the various aspects of handling. We often speak of "handling" as though it were a single thing, but it's not -- it's multifactorial. There's cornering, there's body roll or lack thereof, there's "tossability" and nimbleness.....so it's a matter of what aspects of handling you consider more important than others. I like the TSX better (as do most). The TSX scores a clear win on nimbleness, but I could see that some people might regard the TL's handling as better. Most people feel the TL has less body roll, but it's not unanimous; anyway both cars are real good on this. Also, something I've never seen written up by anybody else is the idea that seat-comfort gets involved in one's impression of handling. Of course it doesn't have anything to do with handling per se, but, "handling" ultimately is a subjective thing, and I know that when the seat has just the right feel, I have a better general sense of the car and I feel more confident and assertive -- and so it feels like the car handles better. I don't think I could totally separate this out from actual "handling."

If there were no TSX, there's no doubt that I'd be getting a TL. I regarded the TL-S as the best thing out there before there was a TSX, and the new TL is better than that. But I wouldn't trade my TSX even-up for a new TL. But that's no slam on the TL, because I don't think I'd trade the TSX even-up for any other car either.

P.S. Don't talk to my wife :D -- she'd trade the TSX for the TL in a heartbeat. The TL might be her next car, if not mine.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I test drove the Saab 9-3 vector, and the tsx. both my wife and i liked the tsx better. she even liked it that I had to get the 6 speed (she does not like manuals). Now she wants one only in automatic...Fortunatley we have to pay off her jeep first :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts