Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my TSX about a week ago. I have read through the manual and have some questions regarding proper maintenance, primarily oil changes.

As you probably know there are 2 maintanence schedules, regular and aggressive. It says you should follow the aggressive schedule if you primarily drive one of the 3 ways listed. Well one way is less than 5 miles regurlarly. My drive to and from work M-F is less than 3 miles. Do you think I should go to the aggressive schedule?

My second question is the initial oil change. The manual says to leave the manufacturer's oil in until the first maintenance interval, 10,000 miles. I was wondering how switching to the aggressive schedule would affect this.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I just want to make sure I take care of my baby the right way.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
I don't go by the maintenence schedule by Acura. I think 5000km is good for an oil change... 20k to 30k for tranny fluid change..... etc...

Other things like brake fluid, coolant, brake, tire thread... etc... just inpect those urself frequently. ;)

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sazabi.

I will do the oil changes at 5k intervals. What about that stuff in the manual about Honda Motor Oil being the best for your engine? Do you think there is some truth in that, or is it just a way for Honda to squeeze some more money out of you?

Personally I like Mobile 1, but if Honda Oil is better than I will go that route.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Mobil 1 is synthetic, while the Honda engine oil is also Mobil 1, just a different specification grade for some models. The listed references in maintenance is strictly a guideline, not a complusory or mandatory requirement.

You could change oil more or less. Agressive to me means if you're constantly redlining the car between oil changing periods. Of course, if you're always driving hard ... A more regular/activity of oil changing would no doubt be the way to go. Otherwise, stick with the factory guidelines, you won't go wrong.

In short, more change is fine, it's only less change that's a concern.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
hmm... Noel, u sure honda engine oil is mobil 1? those look like conventional oil to me...

Doc:
It is ok to use engine oil synthetic or conventional. It is even stated in the owner maual it is ok to use (won't void ur warranty, as long as u use the same grade)
But if u drive auto tranny, try to stick with Honda tranny fluid. Few people have experienced slipping when using other brand ATF or synthetic ATF.

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely use Honda tranny fluid when needed. My problem is the hard driving because of my commute, I am afraid that the engine does not get to run long enough at the proper temperature. I will have aggressive driving problems once my break-in period is over.

Part of my deal was free oil changes for the life of the car from the dealer, so I will probably just let them handle it and use Honda oil.
But, the dealer stressed that they will charge you for rotation, alignment, or whatever else you may need, just not the oil change.
I know there is some kind of catch if you choose to do the oil changes more frequently than 10k, because at 5k there will be no need to charge you for any other maintenance stuff.

One more question peeps. Is it true what they say about synthetic that once you go synth you got to stick with? Or can you alternate?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
SAZABI said:
Noel, u sure honda engine oil is mobil 1? those look like conventional oil to me.
Yes, it is Mobil 1, at least in this part of the world including Asia. Mobil 1 is subcontracted to produce the majority of Honda genuine lubricants particularly engine oil. However, it is not the best grade of Mobil 1 available even in the same rating.

Doc said:
I will definitely use Honda tranny fluid when needed. Is it true what they say about synthetic that once you go synth you got to stick with? Or can you alternate?
Actually, Honda transmission fluids are fairly substandard IMO especially when hard driving is a common nature. And no, that is some fictional story someone told you. However, it's best to use mineral based oils in the first 20,000KMs and then switch to full synthetic onwards. In either, you won't have any general problems if you follow the basic guidelines.

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Noel, you are very helpful, and your signature is awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts