Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrighty.. so my TSX is about to hit 1000miles, and that's when i plan on getting my first oil change :D (actually thought about getting it at 500)
I will eventually go synthetic(mobil 1?), but somebody told me that it was actually better to go real oil for first 2-3 times.

Does this hold any water?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
friend of mine did the mobil 1 on his tsx at 2500 miles 1,000 miles seems to soon..?

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
It's advisable to use conventional (dino) oil in the car for the first 7,500 miles or so, or 2 oil changes. They have materials in there to help seal everything better than the thinner synthetic oil. This is just a common word of advice - however, something to consider on the flip side is that a lot of the performance cars have Mobil-1 straight from the factory (EVO, AMG, Corvette, etc.), so I'm sure with the modern motors you'll be ok either way. Just my 2 cents.

I have 4k miles on my S2000, and have changed the oil once, and on my second oil change (around 7,500 miles), I plan on switching to Mobil-1 5W30, which I've always run on my cars with no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply Luwin1026, and welcome to TSXclub!
Yea.. I heard the same thing before..
I also read something interesting on the TSX manuel, that said something like, factory oils that comes with the new car have special chemicals within that protects the engine wear, so it's advised to do the first oil change at the recommended schedule, not to do oil change too soon.
Recommended oil change is at every 5000mile..
This made me change my plan to get my oil change withing first 1000-2000miles..
currently my TSX has 3200miles which I plan on getting my oil change this weekend.
I plan on getting a regular oil till my second oil change, which then i'll go mobile 1.
So I am heading in the same direction as you. :)

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Kuritadelta said:
Thank you for your reply Luwin1026, and welcome to TSXclub!
Yea.. I heard the same thing before..
I also read something interesting on the TSX manuel, that said something like, factory oils that comes with the new car have special chemicals within that protects the engine wear, so it's advised to do the first oil change at the recommended schedule, not to do oil change too soon.
Recommended oil change is at every 5000mile..
This made me change my plan to get my oil change withing first 1000-2000miles..
currently my TSX has 3200miles which I plan on getting my oil change this weekend.
I plan on getting a regular oil till my second oil change, which then i'll go mobile 1.
So I am heading in the same direction as you. :)

Thanks for the welcome.

Although I do not have a TSX yet, and therefore no TSX owner's manual, I would advise changing your oil around 3500-3750 miles, especially the first time. 5000 miles is better reserved for synthetic oil territory because it doesn't break down like conventional oils do.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
netoperek said:
First oil change should be done @ 3500miles, then every10k depending on the way you drive.
10k? thats crazy I wouldnt do that unless the car is leased.. 2500-3500 is max I would ever wait.

·
Chemical User
19 Posts
Do what ever HONDA recommends

Engines are getting that advanced, I would only change the oil with WHAT Honda says so, WHEN honda says so.

They obviously know alot more about the car and engine than any one else. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I think every japanese manufacturer has its service intervals at 10,000km or more from factory. Subaru Liberty 2.5i is at every 12,500km, and Toyota Camry Alteva is at 15,000km!

I would let the dealer look after the car, for a number of reasons including warranty. Basically, if they break, they replace. It definately helps when you want to trade it in on that 2007 model TSX! That way they have all the service history and know the condition of your car.

They also do more than just change the oil.

Every 10,000 km for a service on the Honda Accord Euro is what they say in Australia.

Honda Accord Euro-
service intervals are 10,000km
10,000km service AU$125.00
20,000km service AU$145.00

In saying that, it is actually more important to change the gearbox oil.
:confused: (how many of you guy's know this?)
This should be done every time you change the engine oil.

:D The engine oil is filtered, screened, cooled and has a great deal more capacity then the gearbox oil. It basically gets well looked after.

:shock: Gearbox oil gets none of these benefits.

:nono: Never use engine flushing oil. This type of oil removes crap out of the motor, but it also takes the crap out of the sump and distributes it through out the motor. This in turn increaces wear to no end, and throws out all clearance tollerences.

I hope this is of any use to you! Cheers!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
The documented change KMs/intervals is a recommended spec, if you push the car hard all the time, watch the oil condition change quickly. 10,000KMs is fine if you drive the car moderately and rarely put it into redline. I've personally do a 5000KMs oil change interval instead, full sythetic used since 1,000KMs. I wouldn't use mineral based oils past the "run/break-in" period.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
The TSX manual says to change the oil every 5000 miles. I have been doing this for the last 26,000 miles, and every time I change the oil, it still has a nice yellow color to it. It's fine if you do it every 5000 miles.

To the person wanting to do his first oil change early I would highly recommend not to do that. There is special fluids in the original batch of oil that is used to help the pistons and cylinders "break in" better. This oil should not be changed until 5000 miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oil change question When should I hmmmm

Well I live in Canada, so everything I talk about might be a little different then what you guys in the US are norm to. I have a 2004 TSX with 15321 KM and only had one oil change done . I am following Acura's service. Well I letft the orignal oil that came with the car up to 9500KM. The oil was still clean and very little smell og gas on it. But the reason to leave the factory oil in so long is so that the RINGS, PISTIONS, CAMS, Cycnlder walls can break in and score them selfs. The Original oil helps all that happen quicker. I also found out the the Factory OIL from Honda has some king of grityness to it and its much more thicker (meaning beter viscosity). So when I hit the 9500KM I took the car and right away told the dealership to only put in Full Synthetic oil. TIP for the WISE AND UNWISE dont buy synthetic oil from Honda they scam the hell out of you. Here in Canada I payed $ 50 for Syn oil. So any ways I just picked up some MOBIL 1 Syn oil and its going next week for its 2nd oil change. Also never use any other oil besdies the ones you get from the Honda/Acura dealerships. One like FRAM, K&N, Quakerstat,Penzoil,CrappTire can't handle the High flow pressure from the 4cy's oil pump so they then start to break down or really gum up. Well I hope I help someone . And please I know my speeling is not the greatest. Thank Guys you all ROCK !!!! :mardi:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
I just switched to Mobile 1 Synthetic today :woot:

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Luwin1026 said:
Thanks for the welcome.

Although I do not have a TSX yet, and therefore no TSX owner's manual, I would advise changing your oil around 3500-3750 miles, especially the first time. 5000 miles is better reserved for synthetic oil territory because it doesn't break down like conventional oils do.

Can't believe I remember that I posted that!!!

Not TSX-less anymore - just picked this baby up last week . . .

More details in General Discussion . . . :wavey:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
it's really depend on how u drive .. ~
my motul 8100 started to break down after 8000km ~
i think i drive it too harshly ~
6k will be a good time for everyone who cannot control his right foot with syn.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Andynolife said:
it's really depend on how u drive .. ~
my motul 8100 started to break down after 8000km ~
i think i drive it too harshly ~
6k will be a good time for everyone who cannot control his right foot with syn.
:nod:
I changed mine at 5000km and it seems it was still running fine.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Ray said:
10k? thats crazy I wouldnt do that unless the car is leased.. 2500-3500 is max I would ever wait.
There's nothing that bad with 10k...that's the factory recommendation. The factory rough schedule is 5000 miles, and that's what I follow. Even after 5000 miles though the oil still looks new, and is not gritty at all. I don't see any reason to change before 5000 unless you do autocross, or drive through dirt roads or some very harsh conditions like that.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
127 Posts
wazupwazid said:
Also never use any other oil besdies the ones you get from the Honda/Acura dealerships. One like FRAM, K&N, Quakerstat,Penzoil,CrappTire can't handle the High flow pressure from the 4cy's oil pump so they then start to break down or really gum up.
Where are you getting this from? If you have documentation of this please post. Are you referring to the oil or the oil filter?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oxygene said:
In saying that, it is actually more important to change the gearbox oil.
:confused: (how many of you guy's know this?)
This should be done every time you change the engine oil.

:D The engine oil is filtered, screened, cooled and has a great deal more capacity then the gearbox oil. It basically gets well looked after.

:shock: Gearbox oil gets none of these benefits.
:russ: :russ:

please...

do some reading. what is the recommended service interval for the TSX tranny oil (either)? here's a clue...way more than the engine!

sure, there's less of it and it's not filtered. it's also subject to far less heat and contaminants. a quality synthetic can easily go 100k miles in a manual (unless you're in the habit of not using the clutch)!

as a new TSX owner this is my first post on this forum, and while i don't know everything, i am a gear head with nearly a million miles of experience across 8 vehicles. i have to confess, i'm completely shocked by the amount of misinformation i've already seen in this my first visit. sure, it's the internet. so is www.miata.net, the difference being that the majority of those folks actually know what they're talking about. i look forward to learning who to trust here...

dookie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts