Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just did oil change. I swear to god that I will never return to Acura again for oil change.
1. the moron overfill engine oil
2. I don't think the moron put in what I gave him.
3. the moron over tighten the drain bolt and the bolt for the plastic cover
4. the moron put on the oil filter too loose... I could loose it by hand... geez...

Ok... so I think I will write sth up since I took some pics... if you are not interested, you may stop reading at this point, hee...

Things you need:
oil filter... if you buy from acura, make sure u ask for a washer as well for the drain bolt
engine oil 4.2L
Jack, jack stand, chalk,
10mm socket, 17mm socket, rachet (or wrench... as long as u can open a 10mm and 17mm bolt)
12" pier (or whatever u can use to loose the oil filter)
Torque wrentch... small one that is capable of doing 33ft.lb (396 inch.lb)
oil pan

Turn the steering wheel all the way to the passenger side (lazy way). 1st thing to do is to jack up the car on passenger side. Put chalk and stand for safety!!! (although I don't do that usually)

From this pic, you can see where the oil filter is... the blue thing. You can reach that after you turn the steering wheel all the way towards passenger side and the car is lifted on that side.

Next thing to do is to open the engine oil cap on top of the engine. Then go under the car... you will find a plastic cover with a bolt near the place circled in the picture. Use 10mm to open that bolt and you can take the cover out.

Right behind the plastic cover, you will see the drain bolt. Use 17mm to loose it... becareful tho... the oil pan is made of aluminum I believe, so it is not as strong as you think. Let the oil drain...
You can see that I am using cling film so the oil won't go crazy on that plastic cover at the bottom.
Clean the drain bolt and replace the washer.

When the oil is being drained, go work on the oil filter... I just use a 12" pier. Clam it and loose it.

For the new oil filter, I put a little bit engine oil (new of course) in the filter 1st. Don't put too much tho, b/c you will have a hard time putting it on later...(I put about 1/2 of what the oil filter takes, then most of it will be absorbed in the filter materials) and put some oil on the seal as well to lubricate it.

After the draining is done... clean it a bit. Put the oil filter back on. I just hand tight for oil filter. For the drain bolt, use torque wrench... 33ft.lb or 396 inch.lb (do over tight it, the pan is weak! and correct way to use rachet/torque wrench plz... both hand on it, one turning, one prevent too much torsion)
Drop the car back to the ground, and fill engine oil.

Keep checking the oil stick when you reach about 4 litres. I just try to get the oil level in between the two holes on the oil stick.

Then start the engine and let it run for a minute or 2... as it is running, go back down again and check to see if there is any oil leaking. If there is any leaking you will see the oil for sure, very visible, not like it will be only 1 or 2 drops. Turn off engine, let it rest 2 minutes. Check oil level again... don't be surprise that the level has gone down b/c some oil goes into the filter or other place in the engine (But don't try to cheat by filling more oil 1st time, b/c u dont' know how much it will drop... it depends...). Just fill more oil and bring the level back up. I usually keep it at middle of the two hole or just a bit above.

Put old oil into a container and dispose it according to local regulations.

hee... I hope it helps....

·
, Moderator Emeritus
3,158 Posts
NIIIIICE MOBIL1 ... DROOOL.... i've always used mobil1 with my previous car..

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
moTUL :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have icq now man. If you want lunch with me, email me. I will check email.
wait until I set up the remote desktop on my home computer, then I will have icq again, ha ha

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
great job.... one question... where did you place the jack stand? beside under the car :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
3,158 Posts
johnej said:
great job.... one question... where did you place the jack stand? beside under the car :)

but why put the jack stand any where else?? beside the car or on top?
perhaps in the trunk when it's not in sure ...

·
Registered
954 Posts
NeoChaser said:
but why put the jack stand any where else?? beside the car or on top?
perhaps in the trunk when it's not in sure ...
Actually, I think he was asking specifically where to place the jack stand under the car. Ideally, you would want them at the jack points under the car, but you can't really do that because the jack is in the way... so where do you put the stand then?

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
See the picture with the red circle? U can see the jack stand in that picture. That metal in the center is also a "jack point". When I need both wheels off the ground, I jack that point as well and put 2 stands on the side points. Hee hee... I will try to take a pic and show u where it is...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts