Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 tsx which started consuming oil in the last few months. I got the letter from Acura stating if you have to this problem to bring your car in which I did today. My emmision light and vsa light stated going off last week also, so I got them to check that out while it was there. I just got a call from the dealer saying that the emmision light was caused by the timing chain being stretched which is probably due to the high oil consumption. I don't keep records of my oil changes which they are now requesting since its apparently alot worst then that thought. so now I have to go back and try to get as many of the records from the two shops I take it to as I can so I can get Acura to cover the repair. Anyone have any advice for dealing with acura or know how much it may cost if I can't get enough records for Acura to cover this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
As long as you have proof that you changed the oil at least every 10k miles, then you are good. Acura/Honda only requires oil changes every 10k miles for normal driving, which most of us fall under. If you look in your owners manual, it even states that the oil filter only needs to be replaced every other oil change. No one does that, at least I don’t think, but that’s all that Acura requires.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have no idea what Honda did to the K24 between 2008 and 2009, but that engine never had an oil consumption issue before, but there's a lot of issues with the 2009. Why? What the heck did Honda change that led to these issues? The K24 was "bulletproof."

·
Registered
5 Posts
For the 2009 TSX, Acura updated the engine in it and increased the compression ratio, along with tuning the exhaust and intake differently. The K24-Z3 engine that we have in our TSX’s is different than the older K24-A4/A2 engines that were in the Honda Element, Accord, CR-V, etc etc. It’s basically a higher revving and more powerful version of the bulletproof K24 you are referring too. In your 2009, Acura has a recall on the piston rings for being defective, allowing oil to slide by and get burned off through the exhaust. That’s where all your oil is going. The warranty is for 2009-2010 TSX’s and it’s warranted up to 125,000 miles. I don’t believe there is a limit on time, just mileage. If your vehicle qualifies, Acura will do an oil consumption test on your car, basically making you come back every 1,000 miles to check the level. According to Acura, burning 1quart of oil every 1,000 miles is considered normal, so it needs to consume more in order for Acura to basically rebuild the engine. There are ways you can make it “look like” it consumed more than a quart 😉 so that Acura will actually fix the rings. Regardless of what Acura says, 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles is absurd. This is not even a direct injection engine. Anyways, to answer your question, it’s a known issue and there is a recall for the piston rings. I’m guessing they didn’t “beef” them up enough for this higher revving K24-Z3 version. Good luck. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts