Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is using about 1 quart per 1k miles. Its not smoking or acting weird. It runs smooth. Not sure why it is doing this? Anyone else have a clue? It has 88,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has the car overheated at all through those 88k?

Could be bad piston rings and burning it slow enough not to notice the smoke.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has the car overheated at all through those 88k?

Could be bad piston rings and burning it slow enough not to notice the smoke.

Just a thought.

Idk. I just got the car with 84k on it and was scared shitless when i saw the blinking red light in my dash and I was 2 quarts low.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
I remember reading that honda considers that amount of oil consumption "within specification" but I think it's excessive since the most my 04 engine consumed was about 1L/6K KM. Now it pretty much doesn't consume any oil after switching from mobil 1 to castrol syntec. Did you make sure the oil filter and drain plug are tight? Also, you should be able to tell if the engine is burning oil by looking at the spark plugs. Do a leak down test to further narrow down where the oil is going. BTW, how hard do you drive normally? cause that can also affect oil consumption...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've researched this a lot and it is common it seems. Mine does the same thing. I just had it in to the dealer for a recall and to check it out for my false head gasket problem and the tech said the 6MT's seem to be the worst.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not leaking anywhere.

Almost all of my driving is interstate. I wouldnt say im hard on it but I dont baby it. Rarely engage vtec.

Im going to switch to synthetic to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If that doesn't work, try Firestone Kendall synthetic blend(pretty sure it is just dino oil). It sounds like we have similar driving habits but I burn about 1/2 a quart every 4k miles. *knock on wood*

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently switched to Castrol GTX Dino from either Castrol GTX High Mileage or Valvoline Max High Mileage to see if it helps, I'll report back when I have a few more miles on her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts