Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my tsx in for a repair on an oil leak and we thought it was coming from the gasket or seal around the oil pan, and it turns out its not cause i got it back after spending almost 300$, AND ITS STILL LEAKING! Does anyone know anything about a crankshaft seal leak? In the front of coarse, but i was told maybe its that. But they got it wrong the first time so i dont know if i should go back there.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My suggestion would be to clean the area as well as you can. That way, it should help you isolate the leak more quickly. If you’d like, feel free to post a pic or two of the leaky area. We might be able to come up with something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My suggestion would be to clean the area as well as you can. That way, it should help you isolate the leak more quickly. If you’d like, feel free to post a pic or two of the leaky area. We might be able to come up with something.
Thanks for responding i like this platform of tsx owners, Anyways i assumed my mechanic wouldve cleaned the area and isolated the leak before telling me.. "Yup its the oil pan gasket, Tim " . So i feel like this is on them, but i have to be nice and kind despite the fact that i just dropped 300 bucks for something that did NOT need to be done! So after we looked at it again, after the seal on the oil pan was replaced, it appears as though its dripping from behind the main pulley that drives all the belts. After researching online it looks as though this acura tsx 2012 4 cylinder has a set up with the front crankshaft seal being behind this main pulley wheel, so its difficult to see and locate the leak, i will give them that its not easy to see even on a lift with a flashlight. There telling me now its a crankshaft seal, but if they got first diagnosis wrong? ahh can itrust the 2nd? see this is the problem we face today with buisnesses sometimes are hurting for money so they do things on purpose to cause other problems to force you to bring your car right back in a week later. I hope thats not the case, but im starting to wonder. My question is, If it is the crankshaft seal thats the cause of this leak: where it only leaks once every few days, but then when it does leak, it dumps oil on the floor in 2 different spots, and there puddles, my oil is low on dipstick and i just did oil change for 4.2 quarts, the right amount a few weeks ago. Well i heard if you overfill the oil it can cause it to leak out of the crankshaft seal, but also high mileage and general wear and tear can be the culprit to. My question is how do i determine if its crankshaft seal without tearning it apart and removing the pulley wheels and belts? It would be tricky to snap a photo now when its in my garage versus up on a lift in the shop... But your right and i appreciate any feedback guys Thank You!
Sincerely,
Tim

·
Registered
2008 auto TSX CGP
615 Posts
Let's not complicate things. If the mechanic is suggesting a different diagnosis and you have questions then take it elsewhere for a second opinion. After all, it is another type of fix that is being suggested so they will likely charge you for that.

If the same fluid is falling in two places that only means...that it's falling in two places and not that it is originating from the same same location. That's common sense unless you have verified it otherwise.

If you don't want to take it to another mechanic then you're going to have to keep cleaning and monitoring until you isolate the leak(s). I've been there before and it works. Get an extendable mirror to see areas that are not too visible.

I wouldn't keep going going to a mechanic that I didn't trust or found questionable. A second opinion is usually free so look for someone that may have favorable reviews from family members, social media, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a weird leak guys, i doesnt drip steady, it goes 3 days with NO oil spot and then all the sudden when temperature changes happen and the metal contracts it opens up leaks in the crankshaft seal , the front one. Its so strange, in the warm summer time it NEVER leaked .THats beside the point tho, hey thanks for the feedback, i will be watching closely until i figure out this Mystery. Oil is running down the sides of things its all over cause of the location of that seal, its behind the pulley wheel thats always spinning at high speeds its going to toss around the oil drops alot i would think. That explains two different locations of oil puddles after leaving car sit for 4 days in garage.
Merry Christmas Dudes and TSX owners
Peace out 4tha Holidays

·
Registered
7 Posts
At the front of the engine, there's front engine cover, crank seal, VTC thing seal (LOL), timing chain tensioner cover, to name a few places that can leak oil, even the vtec actuator is around the area. Well, with the underside engine cover or splash shield, it would also complicate things. Try removing it and leave it off for a few days to weeks, see where the drips comes down to your garage floor. Quite often the shield collects oil puddle then finally drains down to the ground, or your garage floor. May or may not be the case, just eliminating one thing at a time.

Before you take it to another mechanic for a second opinion, I would also suggest clean the dirty engine with pressure washer those at coin/self service carwash (definitely cheaper than buying cans of brake clean LOL). Inspections are may not lead to anywhere with a dirty engine and oil grease all over. Clean it, drive it for a day or two, then, bring to a second opinion, or your trusted mechanic.

By the way, it helps to post a few images too.

Hope this helps, and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the front of the engine, there's front engine cover, crank seal, VTC thing seal (LOL), timing chain tensioner cover, to name a few places that can leak oil, even the vtec actuator is around the area. Well, with the underside engine cover or splash shield, it would also complicate things. Try removing it and leave it off for a few days to weeks, see where the drips comes down to your garage floor. Quite often the shield collects oil puddle then finally drains down to the ground, or your garage floor. May or may not be the case, just eliminating one thing at a time.

Before you take it to another mechanic for a second opinion, I would also suggest clean the dirty engine with pressure washer those at coin/self service carwash (definitely cheaper than buying cans of brake clean LOL). Inspections are may not lead to anywhere with a dirty engine and oil grease all over. Clean it, drive it for a day or two, then, bring to a second opinion, or your trusted mechanic.

By the way, it helps to post a few images too.

Hope this helps, and Happy New Year!
Thanks, ahh the splash gaurd has been off for last month now, so luckily i cleared that up right away so ive been able to see how and where it drips. I had it in again today on the lift in our lacal garage in my hometown and i forgot to snap pics... lol damn , well it snowed today so all the snow melted and it became a mess and we couldnt see where it was leaking from , AGAIN so they put this dye in my oil today, kinda weird but supposedly it helps identify where the leak is coming from. But im not a mechanic so i rely on other ppl, thats part of the problem to, i wish i knew how to fix and work on cars myself. I did the oil change myself thats how i found the leak in the first place. Ive had drain plug replaced and the oil pan gasket redone now after doing all that its still leaking and there saying maybe its crank seal there not 100% sure, yet hopefully in a day or 2 i can bring it in and the dye will show them. But this is strange man, i figured a good mechanic would identify and diagnose this right away correctly. But i guess not everything is easy with these cars. I FEEL like im being milked of money. Maybe not who knows its so hard to trust ppl you dont really know. its a fairly clean engine theve been spraying the area and still cant say with certainty its crank seal, i think, in part because of the location of that seal behind the pulley wheel its tough to see, and even tougher to take pictures cause they wouldnt show the leak. But you said a VTC seal can leak oil? and its in that same area? hmmm i wonder if its even the crank seal? now im wondering

·
Registered
4 Posts
all good in the hood, or under the hood! My oil leak is solved, for the most part it was just the crankshaft seal that went bad. Changed er out, and we good! Took awhile to figure out and was a pain in the ass .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did the first mechanic fix it if so I hope you got a discount since he couldn't get it right the first time...if not i hope you got a new mechanic. Just the fact that people pay for work that was never needed gives mechanics a bad name...get your self a good set of six point wrenches and learn to do it yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually i did get a discount they didnt charge me labor costs on the seal and harmonic balancer and serpentine belt he did all at once even tho the seal was only "Bad" part. So yes they actually made up for the mistake. THey had me nervous for a minute, like i would have to seek out a new mechanic after all these years, i mean they did replace the oil pan gasket when it did NOT need to be done, so i dont know what that says about them so much, but it seemed kind of ridiculous to me at first, but people do make mistakes. Just sucks when it happens to me on my dollar i tend to take it personal. Your right i need to learn myself. I have basic wrenches and tools but im no expert mechanic and i dont have a lift in my garage. If i had a lift i couldve tried at least.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.