Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered some drops of oil in my garage yesterday. Just bought this car 2 days ago, previous owner had it parked in his garage for about 7 months. Can't seem to locate where the leak is coming from, any feedback is much appreciated!

·
DiRTBAG Jose!
1,306 Posts
could be the power steering hose that is leaking if the updated one hasnt been installed.
just pop the hood and look at the hose where its by the valve cover and check it there.hope that helps

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
It looks like the oil filter may be leaking or the oil has just been changed and leaked all over the place. Tighten the oil filter some more and check to make sure that there is only one gasket on the filter. Sometimes one gets stuck to the engine and the tech doesn't notice and installs the new filter. That creates a double gaskets and creates a severe leak.

Most likely the filter is loose or the oil has just been changed.

·
Registered
874 Posts
^ +1 . looks like filter, i would say Do an oil change even if it doesnt need it yet. basically start over that way you know you did it right clean up the area as best as you can and then check it after a week if problem it still there narrow down, could it be the FILTER , the Oil pan leaking from side, could the axles be leaking if they even have grease in them, trouble shoot man, but start fresh

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
^ I agree. Give it an oil change yourself to "start over" on the problem. From where it's at it definitely looks like powersteering or oil filter leak.

If the car hasn't got a powersteering hose recalled get it to a dealership!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clean all the oil up, then, drive it a few miles and see if its still leaking. If not its just from the previous oil change. But, correct me if im wrong, the filter looks to be a bit old, and if it's been sitting for 7 months, you might want to change the oil anywyas. Good luck and let us know what it was/is.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Im gonna have to say the oil filter is leaking as well. Just do an oil change and spray the entire underside with brake cleaner and itll be sparkling clean after ;)

make sure to check your oil often!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a very similar leak on my 05. It’s not the oil filter. I have changed the filter twice with clean gaskets and a clean spindle. My leak may be coming from the sensor above the oil filter (shown in poor picture). I don’t know what this sensor is called though.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a textbook VTEC solenoid gasket leak. Of course it's just above the oil filter so it masquerades as a "sloppy job changing the oil". Also, it drips onto the right axle and a bearing, both of which may end up failing as a result (the axle did on mine). Anyway, Honda dealers replace the entire module ($300+), but if you do a good job of cleaning it all up, you can replace the gasket and O-rings for about $20 worth of parts. While you're at it, do the front cover gasket as well. Check out my comment on another post about the same thing:

Look up a couple YouTube videos for how to fix this. I found it easiest to just put a blanket/rug on top of the engine block and lay down on the engine to "comfortably" access the part. You have to have a frame of reference, which is why you need to watch the videos. I detached the bracket holding the power steering hose and with that out of the way, you can reach behind the block and remove the part. I only replaced the gasket and the o-ring on the pressure sensor, but there is a second o-ring to replace as well. Then on the front side, you have to detach the PS pump and the belt tensioner to get access to the cover plate. If the tensioner has never been replaced, I would do that at the same time. Mine was chattering/dancing when the compressor kicked on, and now with the new tensioner it's smooth as silk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a textbook VTEC solenoid gasket leak. Of course it's just above the oil filter so it masquerades as a "sloppy job changing the oil". Also, it drips onto the right axle and a bearing, both of which may end up failing as a result (the axle did on mine). Anyway, Honda dealers replace the entire module ($300+), but if you do a good job of cleaning it all up, you can replace the gasket and O-rings for about $20 worth of parts. While you're at it, do the front cover gasket as well. Check out my comment on another post about the same thing:

Look up a couple YouTube videos for how to fix this. I found it easiest to just put a blanket/rug on top of the engine block and lay down on the engine to "comfortably" access the part. You have to have a frame of reference, which is why you need to watch the videos. I detached the bracket holding the power steering hose and with that out of the way, you can reach behind the block and remove the part. I only replaced the gasket and the o-ring on the pressure sensor, but there is a second o-ring to replace as well. Then on the front side, you have to detach the PS pump and the belt tensioner to get access to the cover plate. If the tensioner has never been replaced, I would do that at the same time. Mine was chattering/dancing when the compressor kicked on, and now with the new tensioner it's smooth as silk.
Perfect! I’m sure that’s exactly what it is since my axle just started clicking about a week ago. I’ll get right on fixing that. I appreciate and thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts