Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newby TSX owner here. Bought my '12 Sport Wagon on 11/24/12 with 5200 miles. Now have almost 10K.

My oil life on the dash says 70%.

The dealer changed the oil/filter during their checkup/setup with conventional oil I'd guess.

I've never used synthetic and with the miles I drive and travel schedule, I typically change at the local quick lube whenever I get a few minutes. Have always tried to do it at 5-7K and NEVER had an issue (knock on wood).

Now I'm not sure what to do with the new TSX:
  • Conventional or Synthetic
  • Quick Lube, Dealer, or my "Real" Mechanic
  • 5-7K as I've always done
  • 10-12K as I read here
  • Change it when the Oil Life % says so

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
honestly I would go with the recommended 5w20 oil and interval changes.Typically synthetic oils have the 5k intervals while it is recommended to change 3k-4k. I think 10-12k is pushing it with any oil. I typically change my oil around 5k on my previous car with mobil 1 synthetic. Do your oil changes yourself or at a dealer..I've had some poor experiences at lube shops. Although I am a tsx newbie, Ive done my fair share of experimentation on other vehicles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Recommended is 0w20, not 5w20. Up to you on the interval, I'm doing 5K changes so far when indicator shows 40%. I'm using Acura OE oil and filter. Watch your oil level closely, some report oil consumption issues.

Stan

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
Not sure on other oils, but 10k is fine for Honda Full Synthetic oil. My Blackstone analysis proves it. It showed plenty of life left and they suggested I try 12k miles and check back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not an expert but my common sense tells me that it is better to use regular oil and change it frequently than to use synthetic and change less frequently. If you can afford to use synthetic and change at 5k, then it is even better.

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
I'm not an expert but my common sense tells me that it is better to use regular oil and change it frequently than to use synthetic and change less frequently. If you can afford to use synthetic and change at 5k, then it is even better.
Common sense should tell you it's better to change it less frequently...You're dumping oil in the environment half as much and you're changing your oil half as often (thus saving time and money). Since Honda's synthetic can easily go to 10k, why someone (besides tekneek :p) would do this, is beyond me.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Common sense should tell you it's better to change it less frequently...You're dumping oil in the environment half as much and you're changing your oil half as often (thus saving time and money). Since Honda's synthetic can easily go to 10k, why someone (besides tekneek :p) would do this, is beyond me.
:laugh:. maybe try 5k or 10k, send in oil to blackstone and then go from there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.