Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I freely admit that I may be in the (anal) minority here, but does it bug anyone else that opening the fuel filler door requires you to place your grubby paws on the paint? And further, can anyone explain Honda's rationale for this design? It just seems like a huge opportunity for scratches and other blemishes detrimental to the finish.

I will also admit that the fact that I'm on here griping about the opening mechanism of a filler door is a pretty good indicator of where I am on this car... it really is fantastic. But Honda/Acura has always done a great job on the details. This seems like an odd thing to me.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
According to the following quote, they wanted to eliminate the driver's need to lean down to pull on the fuel door release lever. I guess they think drivers are getting too fat, or maybe need less exercise.

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/294/releases/318fb551-642c-1ed1-b8ef-a1004c34bb5c said:
The TSX's fuel-filler door locks and unlocks automatically along with the doors. By eliminating the need to reach for the traditional floor-mounted cable release, the new system simplifies the process of refueling the car. As long as the driver's door is unlocked, opening the fuel-filler door is as simple as gently pushing on the rear edge of the door to release its latch. Latching the door requires a gentle push.
I guess rather than touching an interior lever, they think you'd prefer to touch your car's exterior and leave smudges.

When I was given a 2G loaner for 3 weeks a couple of years ago, I think I spent like 20 minutes going all over the car looking for the fuel release lever. I had to google to find out about the electric fuel door. I guess it's progress, but I agree, I don't like having to touch my car and leaving fingerprints.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gas door

The gas door on my BMW was the same way. What bothers me is the angle of the fuel nozzle when you put in the tank.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
wow I really don't like this..our murano has the same option..my hands are usually clean but I know exactly where you're coming from.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
acura...advance? :laugh:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gloves

Keep a box of rubber gloves in your car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I should've known that this board is full of car nuts like me. Touching the car right after I've washed it is one thing... I still don't like it at all, but at least the risk of anything other than a fingerprint is minimal. But my car isn't always going to be spotless when I need to fill up and putting your hands on dirty, gritty paint is always dicey. I picture it being like touching the paint with fine-grit sandpaper or something.

Martin, I agree about the angle thing... the filler handle ends up awfully close to the paint. Rubber gloves? Hmmm... I'm not above that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cost Containment

I think they did this to reduce the number and cost of parts as well as assembly time on the line. I once read a fascinating book about managing technology and development, it was called something like Managing technological innovation and it used the Ford Taurus as an example. The author had inside access to the whole development team and I remeber one chapter describing in detail how they would hassel over simplifying the number and complexity of parts and how that would reduce cost and overall time on the assembly line. They would argue over a savings of 1$1.85. So, I'll bet that this "optimization" is probably in that catagory. I still reach for the damn lever...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts