Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had my Accord Type S for almost 10 months and here is my list of good and bad

Bad - or could be better

front passenger ceiling light is not directional enough - blinding at night
1st gear ratio way too short
wish the i-vtec would kick-in not as high as 6000 rpm
automatic wiper system can be a pain - at times.
no automatic lights-on
radio controls on the steering wheel could have a mute button
when you fold down a back seat, you have a "wedge" partition preventing you to slide things straigth - very stupid.
little wind noise coming from the side doors at over 120KM/H
some undesirable door vibrations when playing deep bass music
very small glove box

The Good

Seats
handling is super tight
engine is awesome
pedals are great
braking is powerful
safety features extravaganza
traction, stability and ABS system on ice and snow work superbly.
great looking car - the Type S has the sport package.
stock gunmetal colored rims with silver body looks very nice

Conclusion : the best damn car I have ever got - too bad I can not mod or touch it - it is a leased company car ! LOL :D

Anyone else share similar opinions about the good and bad ?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Type-S, can you elaborate on the auto-wiper issues?

For me:

Bad
- Mirror shakes with med to heavy bass sounds.
- I leave the rear armrest down most of the time, and there is a crease formed on the underside, about 1" from the back.
- Wipers streak and splatter is sometimes left on the windshield because of the sweep pattern.
- The gutters on the sides of the windshield aren't large enough; it allows water to run onto the side windows easily.
- The glovebox has no latch "click". Need to slam it to stay closed.
- With the radio off, pushing any steering wheel radio button shoud turn it on.
- Switch the function of the two radio knobs on the dash. With the wheel controls, there's no need to have the volume knob close by.
- Michelin OEM tires suck in snow.

Good
- Handling is very communicative.
- Enough speed for me, especially 80-120 km/h.
- Sportshift AT
- HID's are awesome.
- Styling - I like it better each day.
- Overall solidity and rigidity of the body.
- LED instrument panel, auto dimming mirror, heated seats.
- 1st class interior, all the "touch" areas are well surfaced, from the smooth plastic on the armrest to the rubber on door pulls, radio and vent knobs.
- All compartment doors are motion-damped.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Type-S Swiss said:
Well I have had my Accord Type S for almost 10 months and here is my list of good and bad

Bad - or could be better

1st gear ratio way too short
wish the i-vtec would kick-in not as high as 6000 rpm
no automatic lights-on
radio controls on the steering wheel could have a mute button
when you fold down a back seat, you have a "wedge" partition preventing you to slide things straigth - very stupid.
little wind noise coming from the side doors at over 120KM/H
some undesirable door vibrations when playing deep bass music
very small glove box

The Good

Seats
handling is super tight
engine is awesome
pedals are great
braking is powerful
safety features extravaganza
traction, stability and ABS system on ice and snow work superbly.
great looking car - the Type S has the sport package.
stock gunmetal colored rims with silver body looks very nice

Conclusion : the best damn car I have ever got - too bad I can not mod or touch it - it is a leased company car ! LOL :D

Anyone else share similar opinions about the good and bad ?
Nice write-up -- and very interesting, including because maybe it gives us some more impressions about the DIFFERENCES (as well as the similarities) between the Euro Accord and the TSX.

BTW I know you're talking about the R. I don't know what's different from the "regular" Euro Accord, but I'm assuming there is a lot of similarity. Maybe Type-S Swiss can tell us. (Also, WHICH is the one that the TSX is based on???? I'm assuming it's the "regular.")

Anyway, the thing is: TSX'ers can see a lot of overlap in the "bad" and "good" -- but also some glaring differences.

Like:

Bad - or could be better

when you fold down a back seat, you have a "wedge" partition preventing you to ittle wind noise coming from the side doors at over 120KM/H
very small glove box

The Good

braking is powerful

I'm not SURE about all of those things, but I am about a few of them -- I don't think many people would say them about the TSX, and in a couple of cases because it's about features that the TSX just doesn't have.
And there might even be more things than what I've listed that don't apply to the TSX.

About "braking" -- Yes, unfortunately I think hardly anybody would say the braking of the TSX is "great." Whether that means it's better in the Euro R, I have no idea. Either that, or it just happens to suit Type-S Swiss.

(P.S. Don't know what you mean by "slide things straight.")

Thanks -- great write-up! We always like to hear more about the Euro, and the R.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
(P.S. Don't know what you mean by "slide things straight.")

LOL - it is not easy to explain - I should go and grab a picture. When you fold the back seat down (1/3-2/3) you do not have a full opening that would roughtly be the size of the back of that seat. Instead, you have some material coming sideways that blocks or restrict the space. I'd just want to get the hacksaw !!

about the wipers, they turn on automatically in case of rain - or just anything coming in front of the sensor (located just right above the rear view mirror fixation point) - well depending on the rain conditions, at times it does not work well for me. You can adjust the sensitivity but still...this happen most especially in case of very light rain.

And yes, I can agree with the other comments that were made - very true.

The seats are fantastic, you have so muchside support (great in tight corners - you do not slide in your seat) I may find the base of the seat a bit narrow - or maybe I have a fat bottom ! LOL

My car is not a Type R but the Type S with the 2.4L 190Hp engine - NOT SURE WHY IT IS NOT 200 LIKE THE TSX !!!:mad: In Switz and other countries in Europe, they sell 2 kinds of Accord - the 2.0L (150hp) and the 2.4L in both manual and auto. I tried the automatic 2L and it was very nice - I did end up buying the 2.4L in sport finish without having seen it in real or tried it ! LOL
This was however a good surprise at the end !

also to note - it took me at least 10,000KM to "break-in" the engine. At first I did not want to believe that engines needed to be briken-in anymore .... well I can attest now. It is not the same engine now than the one I had when I drove off the Honda dealer.

and yes the HOD headlights are awesome. Too bad the highbeams are halogen - but they work great too anyhow.

if I had to mod this car I'd like to lower it a bit - say 2" max, do something on the exhaust side, and improve the stereo with an ampo and sub...but like I said earlier, I can not really touch it !

BTW, I find this site/forums really cool - makes owning this car even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
other differences between the Type S and regular Accord

- no dual exhaust (and they DO look great- almost made me buy the car !)
- no sport finish (front and rear bumpers, skirting)
- Type S has fog lights
- different interior finish (the Type S has a carbon like texture on some panels inside - VERY NICE - have you guys seen that before ?) - seats are fabric/leather-vinyl on Type S.
- different engine
- regular alloy rims instead of gun metal special Type S rims (only16" !!! should have been 17" stock in my opinion)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Type-S Swiss said:
.....My car is not a Type R but the Type S.....
I can't read!!! -- Sorry, my bad.

Thanks for clarifying some of the differences between regular and type S Euro Accord.

BTW I'm not completely clear about those first 2 things -- which car is which?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Type-S Swiss said:
- different interior finish (the Type S has a carbon like texture on some panels inside - VERY NICE - have you guys seen that before ?)
- regular alloy rims instead of gun metal special Type S rims (only16" !!! should have been 17" stock in my opinion)
The fake carbon fibre is on the TL. imo, the pecking order for "plastic pretending to be something else" is:

1. Carbon fibre (because carbon fibre composites are resin-based anyway)

2. Metal (although few manufacturers seem to be able get that distinctive brown-grey titanium colour)

3. Wood

I agree 17" rims look much better on this car because of the high beltline. The wheels need more visual weight to match the body.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hello Kiteboy

I used to live in Ontario a few months ago until I moved to Switz. I spent about 8 years in Peterborough - about 1.5 hour north est of To.

if you guys want to see some clear info about Type S go to the this site (it is in Germand but you get can a good idea of what it is)

http://www.honda.ch/001hda_010900_de.htm

the 2 car picture you will see show the regular version not the Type S. I think someone from Switz posted some picture opf his car - and it is a Type S. (pictures with lots of snow around)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Type-S Swiss said:

if you guys want to see some clear info about Type S go to the this site (it is in German but you get can a good idea of what it is)

http://www.honda.ch/001hda_010900_de.htm

the 2 car picture you will see show the regular version not the Type S. I think someone from Switz posted some picture of his car - and it is a Type S. (pictures with lots of snow around)
Yes, helpful, but I didn't really get that much out of it, maybe because I didn't know exactly what to click?

The main things I got out of it:

-- There's a diesel version

-- The 2.4 liter isn't really 2.4, it's only 2.354 ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts