Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so the manual says you can adjust the brightness of the "Courtesy Light," actually the blue LED mounted between the overhead mounted map lights, by turning the Select/Reset knob on the instrument panel. I've tried and it didn't seem to do anything. Also, it certainly doesn't have the "feel" that it would do anything. Is there any other way to control the brightness of just this light, or possibly even turn it off altogether? The reason I ask is that the LED in my TSX no longer illuminates after having owned the vehicle for just over a month. I originally thought I might have bumped something which disengaged it but after checking around I can't seem to find anything that would have caused it to remain off. From my understanding, LEDs do *not* "burn out" like bulbs do. Apparently it should last the lifetime of the vehicle without question. This fact is what puzzles me the most. Why would mine no longer light? If anyone has any insight, let me know. I'm sure the dealer won't have a problem fixing it but if I can save myself a trip, I'm all for it.

Thanks!!!

Steve

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Do you mean the lighting of the control buttons for the A/C and CD/radio?

If so, it's a VERY common problem, and we can direct you to a lot of material about it.

If not, I don't know if we've heard of it before.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
blue LED location

No, I'm referring to the tiny little blue LED that sits just in front of the Homelink controls and between the two map lights mounted in front of the moonroof. It shines down onto the radio panel and, to some degree, the gearshift below. It is part of the "ambient" lighting of the vehicle.

This is the "cool blue light" that everyone seems to want pictures of on all the forums. It's also the one that casts the blue glow onto the gear shift which some think is the gear shift itself glowing.

I noticed just a day ago that mine was no longer shining when I reached for the remote button on the ceiling but didn't see the blue glow it normally shines onto my hand. It's certainly no longer lighting for whatever reason.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
so i read you correct - your TSX problem is only the little overhead blue light went out, correct ? and you tried the "Select/Reset knob".

The other lights ok ? then it's not the fuse.

*** that is NOT LED, it's bulb ***

And it's a bitch to get to. really. it is encased in an "assembly housing"
Take it to the dealer....they are like to replace the whole assembly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes it is just the little blue light. I have yet to check for a blown fuse but I suspect that that tiny little blue light would not be on its own circuit. And yes, Homelink still works and the auto dimming rear view mirror still works as well.

Has anyone else read on p.111 of their manual about adjusting the brightness with the select/reset knob?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes, of course -- your original post was actually very clear on this.
I did get it, but then I sort of got lost in the rest of the post.....

I'm gonna blame it on hurting my eye last week, or maybe on having too many potato chips tonight.
Anything but just being stupid. :D

I just checked it, and you're right about turning the Select/Reset knob -- that doesn't seem to do anything, and it doesn't seem to have the feel of doing anything either.

So it looks like the manual is wrong about this.

However.....I'm not sure this is going to help you either and I can't tell for sure about it anyway, but it seems like maybe turning that other similar knob, the one a few inches to the right of the Select/Reset knob -- i.e. the one that adjusts the dashboard lighting -- might possibly adjust the brightness of the light that you're talking about. I fiddled with it a few times, and still I couldn't tell for sure, but I think it does.

Also, BTW -- the manual says that light comes on when you turn on the "parking" lights. That's true, but it also comes on and (I think) stays on when you turn on the headlights all the way also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thanks so much for your help! I'm just going to give the dealer a call and have them take care of it. I suspected that the blue light was somehow integrated into the assembly it was part of. There is no way I'm going to spend any time playing around with it! Thanks to all you guys that post regularly on here. You make this site what it is, awesome!

Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've confirmed that the light in question *is* an LED as i suspected. It is actually part of a cicuit board contained within the assembly which also houses the NAV microphone electronics. It is physically connected to the board in a fairly permanent fashion and shouldn't be messed with unless you *really* know what you're doing.

Not that I disassembled *my* car to find this out. I have a friend who has a friend that happened to replace his with a red LED.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
godofwine said:
So I've confirmed that the light in question *is* an LED as i suspected. It is actually part of a cicuit board contained within the assembly which also houses the NAV microphone electronics. It is physically connected to the board in a fairly permanent fashion and shouldn't be messed with unless you *really* know what you're doing.

Not that I disassembled *my* car to find this out. I have a friend who has a friend that happened to replace his with a red LED.
Good work -- hope we helped a little, even if only a little!

Please let us know what happens as you go along. Hope it turns out to be reasonably simple and not too much of a hassle.

Larchmont, who is getting stupider by the day. I hope it's just an LED or something that's malfunctioning. Gotta take myself into the shop. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was at the dealer a few weeks ago to have it looked at and they agreed it was not working, as I expected they would. I was told they would special order the part. Apparently it's the entire assembly with the Homelink contols. I was informed yesterday that the part came in, about three weeks after I had it in originally. I'm going to wait until my first oil change(I'm at about 3800 and I want to get to about 4K before I head in) to have them install the part. Just wanted to keep everyone up to date. On a funny note, one of the mechanics came out to tell that "technically" a blue light inside the vehicle is illegal(at least in VA and DC). So, when I got home I made sure I still had the inspection certificate from the state police officer who inspected the vehicle prior to sale. You just never know. :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
godofwine said:
......On a funny note, one of the mechanics came out to tell that "technically" a blue light inside the vehicle is illegal(at least in VA and DC).....
RECALL!!!!!!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts