Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know if this is the right place to post but i need some guidance. my car is overheating badly. but its kinda weird. at first i thought i had air in the system so i turn on the hot air and no heat. so i added more coolant and after a few revs temp went down. i replaced the cap and car was fine for like a few weeks. now its overheating again. but as soon as i turn on the hot air. engine temp goes back to normal. in addition to that im getting boiling in the reservoir. sooo i added more coolant and same rad cap. could it be that my new cap is bad, i did get it at autozone??? i check all around the system for leaks and i didnt see any. only the coolant that was burp out when boiling. help me out im out of ideas. thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
i dont know if this is the right place to post but i need some guidance. my car is overheating badly. but its kinda weird. at first i thought i had air in the system so i turn on the hot air and no heat. so i added more coolant and after a few revs temp went down. i replaced the cap and car was fine for like a few weeks. now its overheating again. but as soon as i turn on the hot air. engine temp goes back to normal. in addition to that im getting boiling in the reservoir. sooo i added more coolant and same rad cap. could it be that my new cap is bad, i did get it at autozone??? i check all around the system for leaks and i didnt see any. only the coolant that was burp out when boiling. help me out im out of ideas. thanks
Are you getting a check engine light? Also, it may be a possibility that your thermostat is having a problem. Others will hopefully chime in

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Id first go ahead and replace the thermostat.
But it really sounds like you have air in the system.
im on the same page as you. i have check the whole system for leaks and nothing. only think that comes to mind is the rad cap and i have already replaced it. unless the one that i got was bad and its already messed up.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Also be sure to check both fans are working or at least kicking on. I found out my car was overheating due to radiator fan not kicking on when I was out-of-town in bumper to bumper traffic. It would start to overheat but when I started to rolling again, it went down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the fans are kicking in because once I have the heater on the temp stays normal. I drove it all day today after adding coolant and burping the system and it seems to be fine now. But it stills smells like coolant a lot. Although I don't see any bubbling anymore.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i had this happen to me the other day. i bought a new cap and it did the same thing still. then i bought that plastic elbow for the lines to connect with the resevior cap, connected all the lines to it and damm. problem fixed.. happy camper

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
You have air in the system, specifically the head. Theses motors are a PITA to cycle coolant after you get an air bubble. Id recommend going to Honda or a shop that has a vacuum coolant machine.

EDIT: be careful driving the car, you dont want a blown head gasket!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hate to alarm you but I had the exact same symptoms in my old volvo and it ended up being a head gasket/warped head/ crack in a block BUT purge any air in a system, replace the thermostat and hope for the best, you might get lucky. The fact that you have to keep adding coolant means you have a leak somewhere. PRESSURE TEST THE SYSTEM before you do anything, this will give you an answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like a headgasket. Start with the simpler stuff. Leaving the a/c off start the car and let it warm up to the point that the passenger side fan kicks on, that tells you the fan and fan switch are good. Reach down and see if the bottom hose is warm and that will let you know the thermostat is opening and coolant is flowing. Like another user said do a pressure test on the radiator. Also, make sure the oil and coolant have not mixed by checking or draining the oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.