Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ill make it short and sweet. Car stopped running, it gave the p0341 code and after doing a lot of online research, the common timing chaing tensioner issue was confirmed by my mechanic.

His options for me are:

1. Pay $1500 for him to get in there and fix the tensioner and everything that comes along with it. its likely that it might happen again which is making me doubt this option; he's saying its possible things got bent and twisted while this happened

2. $2500 for an engine with 102k on it, installed

Car is a 2005 tax with 168k on it.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Get the new motor. Might as well since it has allot less miles and will only cost 1k more.

You mechanic is not very confident in his diagnosis if he says something could be bent. Nothing can be bent in the timing chain area. Unless your timing chain skipped some teeth and bent a valve. But that would make your car sound like a WRX and be down on power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get the new motor. Might as well since it has allot less miles and will only cost 1k more.

You mechanic is not very confident in his diagnosis if he says something could be bent. Nothing can be bent in the timing chain area. Unless your timing chain skipped some teeth and bent a valve. But that would make your car sound like a WRX and be down on power.

Thank you for your response, he was referring to the pistons and valves that would be bent due to the lack of oil getting to them. Have you gone through this before and if so, and is fixing the chain and all that other stuff a band-aid fix like heès making it sound or is it actually going to last ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
874 Posts
^ still cheaper than $2500 and less miles. i dont think engine is bad just front end is bad meaning radiator,supports, and plastic BS around it. i think its a good buy if i had a old civic i would buy to swap this in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
P0341 light just came on. rebuild engine time/.?

i also have the P0341 light come onto my car next. acura said $1700 just to open it up and look at the problem. i got a quote for $3000 to rebuild my engine which has 224,000 KM on it.

how do i know if my engine is screwed? all i know is the CEL came on twice now with this problem. Engine is burning some oil and is starting to shake a little when in idlel. any recomendations

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
i also have the P0341 light come onto my car next. acura said $1700 just to open it up and look at the problem. i got a quote for $3000 to rebuild my engine which has 224,000 KM on it.

how do i know if my engine is screwed? all i know is the CEL came on twice now with this problem. Engine is burning some oil and is starting to shake a little when in idlel. any recomendations
K24 Engines instock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Thats mainly for a good cheap motor but you may not need a motor.

It honestly could just be a bad sensor if its still running. But the only way to really tell is to open the motor up and look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
K24 Engines instock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Thats mainly for a good cheap motor but you may not need a motor.

It honestly could just be a bad sensor if its still running. But the only way to really tell is to open the motor up and look.

how do i make the decision to have someone open it up and look? i took it to a acura dealer in toronto and they didnt even want to explore the problem. said and engine rebuild was easier from someone else $3500. i know a guy who can replace the timing chain for $1300 but how do i know i actually need that replaced?

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
how do i make the decision to have someone open it up and look? i took it to a acura dealer in toronto and they didnt even want to explore the problem. said and engine rebuild was easier from someone else $3500. i know a guy who can replace the timing chain for $1300 but how do i know i actually need that replaced?
There is no way for us to tell you. Unless your gonna bring your car over to my house and let me pull the motor apart its hard to say what it is, or even what it could be. If you cant pull the motor apart you need to pay for someone to do it :/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts