Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well..... i was taking a closer look at my tsx ..and i noticed a ton of tiny paint chips on the hood.... i dont see why there would be so many except if there was a poor paint job..but the service manager said that its becuase of the roads... how much should it cost me to have it repainted? and by whom? my car is the meteor silver..

thanks

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Yeah, that's why I use the nose mask, not the best looking solution but at least no chips.

As for repairs, there are several ways to go but before you do, you should give some thought as to how to prevent this from reoccuring?

Only solutions I know of are nose mask or clear bra.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I don't think we can say it was just the roads, nor the paint job -- I gotta believe it's just THE PAINT, because this has been a very common complaint on TSX's.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
I'm afraid all new cars have very thin paint jobs. :rotz:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
hip said:
I'm afraid all new cars have very thin paint jobs. :rotz:
Yes, I've seen people saying that. But don't you have the impression that there are more complaints than average about the TSX, and don't you find the paint chipping and scratching much more easily than you expected and more than on other cars?

It's been happening a lot on my car -- but I totally don't mind. :donno:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
larchmont said:
Yes, I've seen people saying that. But don't you have the impression that there are more complaints than average about the TSX, and don't you find the paint chipping and scratching much more easily than you expected and more than on other cars?

It's been happening a lot on my car -- but I totally don't mind. :donno:
Living in a place where there is constant construction and road debris falling out of trucks, I always took the approach that prevention is cheaper than repair. That is why since 1989, I have always had bras on all our cars.

IMO, it's easier to replace a windshield, and less expensive if your insurance covers it, than body work. That's why I use the nose mask. I suppose you could make the argument that I am preserving the car for next owner, but I don't view it that way.

That said, I spend most of my time in this forum and so can't really say how other cars seem to be doing? But I can tell you this, every car I see in this area have some front nose paint chips. My brother who lives in southern California, owns a black 2000 Lexus GS300, doesn't use a nose mask and the front end of his car looks like it was "sand blasted." It is completely peppered, but he doens't mind either.

So I don't believe there is significant difference in paint quaility between vehicles unless you consider Saturns or other cars that use plasitc panels?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm... well I went to the service manager at teh local dealer yesterday, and he agreed to repaint the hood.... I just have to schedule an appointment... has anybody gotten the clear bra for the car? The companies around here charge $550-$1000 for everything they can cover.... everybody in chicago that I called said it would be around $500...are these fair prices?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
vp911 said:
Hmm... well I went to the service manager at teh local dealer yesterday, and he agreed to repaint the hood.... I just have to schedule an appointment... has anybody gotten the clear bra for the car? The companies around here charge $550-$1000 for everything they can cover.... everybody in chicago that I called said it would be around $500...are these fair prices?

Depending on the number of panels you plan to cover, I've heard anywhere between $300 - $500, so the prices you received might be inline with your region?

Of course going through the dealer will cost you more, so if you located a reputable business on your own, that would cut the cost considerably.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
It depends on what you want covered... If you want your whole hood covered, it'll cost you around 500-600 just for that.

I almost got a clear bra for my TSX, but ended up not because the paint chips show up alot easier because the clear film magnifies it a little more. So until I repaint my hood, no clear bra for me. Are you actually looking to get it in the Chicago area? I can give you contact information of my installer for more information. He uses X-Pel kits and he can make his own..just costs more. You can check out X-pel kits at: www.clearbra.com
I forgot what he told me the price was but I think it was between 500 and 600 total for the hood/fender/mirror and bumper kit. I had him install the headlight/fog light kit on my car.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
excellent....thank you i will be getting that done after the paint job :-D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
FYI, the bumper kit won't cover the entire bumper...it won't cover all the way to the wheels... and if you have the OEM front lip, you'll need a custom job on that.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oooh i didnt know that... hmm... illl keep that in mind..thanks :-D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts