Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My travel involves a lot of travel on the interstate. My hood is beginning to be plagued with little paint chips. Is anyone else having similar problems? Any suggestions?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Yes...my hood has tons of small chips.. You can get a clear bra put on it. Or what I do and just let it go (after about a year or torture). I've given up on touch up paint... Or maybe the new car phase is over with me allready.. :(

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
lol next time dont buy a Honda. Ive owned 3 and every one has had paint problems with it chiping and scratching. They use an inferior clearcoat and a very soft paint. Looks nice, holds up well to sun and weather but as soon as something harder thena towel hits it, its crap city.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
JoeB18R said:
lol next time dont buy a Honda. Ive owned 3 and every one has had paint problems with it chiping and scratching. They use an inferior clearcoat and a very soft paint. Looks nice, holds up well to sun and weather but as soon as something harder thena towel hits it, its crap city.
yup I think I am gonna take your suggestion - no more Honda - just too much stupid stress trying to keep it looking good.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
acuradude said:
My travel involves a lot of travel on the interstate. My hood is beginning to be plagued with little paint chips. Is anyone else having similar problems? Any suggestions?
look into getting clearbra (cost about US$500 ~ 600)

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts

·
would you be my neighbor?
243 Posts

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
ForceSHO said:
I got my clear bra at mile 7.. :) from dealer straight into the detailing shop..

http://www.thefesteringcyforce.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=56&pos=0

only 2 pics.. you can't see it.. till your close..

I got the hood, both fender + 2 mirrors.. cost me 275 installed.. similar price online and etc.. and got a free car wash.. :)
So the dealer had it done before delivery to you ?
cause I'd like to know where you got it done for that price

·
Registered
45 Posts
3m tape

you can also get colour matched 3m tape on part of the fr end and part of the hood. think the dealer has it too

·
Registered
167 Posts
When it comes to a clear bra, LLumar is looking very good. Much clearer than the 3m stuff. I know my TSX will get it first thing.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
So the dealer had it done before delivery to you ?
cause I'd like to know where you got it done for that price

nono i went from the dealer to the detailing shop

http://www.detailingdynamics.com/film.html

I talked to matt.. they got ferraris, aston martins, etc getting this stuff while I was there..

its in long island, nyc.. they been doing it for a while.. I had all my cars done there since '01.. they used to do armourfend now its 3m

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
you can also order online @ http://www.rockblocker.com/ he has similar pricing for installed.. I think someone got it done around the same price as me..

·
Registered
28 Posts
As for the paint, don't blame Honda. I'm a Nissan guy, and both my 2001 Maxima and my new 05 Infiniti G35 both suffer from the same "soft paint." Don't blame the manufacturers, blame the environmentalists. The entire auto industry was forced to stop using lead based paints several years back, which is why our cars get dinged so easily now. <sigh>

As for the clear bra, I highly recommend it. No, it won't prevent all dings. I just got my first one from a piece of wood that did a "nose dive" right into the middle of my hood where the clear bra ended! Still, the bra will keep the front of your hood, bumper, fenders, and side mirrors chip free. In my opinion, the best thing about the bra is how easy it makes cleaning up the front of your vehicle. Bugs and tar just wipe right off.

I've always been a SAY NO to paint scams guy, but this 3M (clear bra) stuff is legit. Lifetime guarantee, and a reputable company. Can't beat that. Besides, here in Seattle they're now putting it on ALL new Mercedes, Ferrari's, BMW's, Audi's, and Porsche's. It's a good mod for $600.

G

·
I had a 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. Paint was tough as nails despite the environmentalists. I would go on trails, etc. Rugged. My new TSX has a very thin coat of paint that chips easily. I don't think it's the environmentalists fault. Honda has always had problems with paint. I remember our first two Accords in the eighties, the paint used to burn off the roof and hood. Nissan has good and bad batches as do most manufacturers but Honda is weak on paint. My mom has a 2003 Metallic Green VW Passat. The paint is rugged on that one too but my Subaru and Honda stink on paint durability. Just my two cents worth.

IB

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
studdly said:
Can any dealership install the clearbra?
It sounds like a custom job for doing it correctly.
well they certain CAN call in an installer to do it and charge you buku $$$
Dealer sell and service their cars that's it. that's what they do.

Thing like this and tint....you should not go to the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
for those of us that already have paint chips in the hood.....what do u recommend we do for them? Touch up paint is ugly and never looks right....if i took it to the body shop, they would probably have to blend the area, and i'd rather not mess up paint that is brand new...

Also do i need to cover the metal , or won't it rust????

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
629 Posts
I'm thinking about having the Llumar Paint Protection installed on my front end. I checked with the guys who did my window tint and the quote is $590 for the mirrors, front hood, bumper including the OEM Front Lip, and I believe the fenders. This sucks that it costs so much, but it might just well be worth it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts