Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a Comptech Icebox. Not really too happy with the rough finish. Also has some scratches and scuffs so I was thinking about sanding it down and painting it.

Not looking for anything crazy. I was actually just thinking about repainting it Satin Black.

Is there any recommendation for what paint I should use so I can closely match the finish of my black IM cover and the black fuse box next to the intake?

I was thinking about using plasti-dip, would that be a good idea to get the satin finish i'm looking for?

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
I think it's very hard to match the IM cover and fuse box. I had mine flat black (leaning towards more satin) and it was nowhere close to the fuse box color.

And I agree, CT's Icebox cover is a piece of shit. Don't even know why a company like that ships their product in that condition.

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts
I think it's very hard to match the IM cover and fuse box. I had mine flat black (leaning towards more satin) and it was nowhere close to the fuse box color.

And I agree, CT's Icebox cover is a piece of shit. Don't even know why a company like that ships their product in that condition.
I agree its terrible..

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

damn. this idea seems harder than I thought it would be. I really want to maintain the stock look as much as possible. If I could get it to look like the stock airbox lid, that would be awesome.

Maybe just some rust oleum plastic primer and satin black paint would work better than plasti-dip?

The more I think of it, the plasti-dip idea seems stupid.

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts
damn. this idea seems harder than I thought it would be. I really want to maintain the stock look as much as possible. If I could get it to look like the stock airbox lid, that would be awesome.

Maybe just some rust oleum plastic primer and satin black paint would work better than plasti-dip?

The more I think of it, the plasti-dip idea seems stupid.
why not just paint the fuse boxes the color your gonna paint your icebox lid, if you want it to match.

·
5,036 Posts
Also, the CT icebox cover is a lot bigger than the OEM cover. That means you're gonna do some squeezing to get the cover on. If you use plastidip, you might scrape off some of it when you squeeze the cover on.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fair enough. satin black paint it is!

any recommendations as to what paint will be the closest match to the "OEM" look? Not really looking to paint anything else in my bay. I want to keep the fuse cover untouched. If it doesnt match at the end of the day, oh well.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
can somebody draw me a diagram of what the differences are for a Comptec Icebox vs OEM? people say that the top cover of the icebox sits higher than the OEM and i never understood why that would make more power

EDIT: I look at some pictures of the icebox and its really hard to tell the differences between it and the Stock Box, and for 100 dollar its pushing it, unless Comptec lets us do a trade with theirs and our stock one since theirs is so crappy looking from what i hear.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just make a mold of it, and create a carbon fibre replacement. I'm sure you can get people to buy them off you if yours turns out well...
Really though I have no clue why their isn't a cf version of the icebox out there for the 04-08 tsx. I think they'd sell like hotcakes if they were priced right.

·
5,036 Posts
can somebody draw me a diagram of what the differences are for a Comptec Icebox vs OEM? people say that the top cover of the icebox sits higher than the OEM and i never understood why that would make more power

EDIT: I look at some pictures of the icebox and its really hard to tell the differences between it and the Stock Box, and for 100 dollar its pushing it, unless Comptec lets us do a trade with theirs and our stock one since theirs is so crappy looking from what i hear.
The CT cover is a little bigger than the OEM cover. It requires a little bit of maneuvering to install the CT cover because of the oversize while the OEM cover just drops right in.

·
Rocketeer
1,134 Posts
While the Icebox was nice, after getting an AEM SRI, happy I went that route...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While the Icebox was nice, after getting an AEM SRI, happy I went that route...
I had the AEM SRI installed on my car for one summer. I was very unhappy with the rattle it made when I had the A/C on and I was sitting a stop light. And once I installed my CT Exhaust, it was too loud for my liking. From what I understand, the Icebox will provide some gain and keep the noise down at the same time.

That being said, I am planning to wrap my Icebox in Carbon Fiber.

Or is Kevlar better? hmm....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts