Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had this oil leak for quite a while and I want to figure out where it’s coming from, at first it was a bit and I thought when I got an oil change they maybe spilt a bit as it was only a bit of oil
But as weeks and days went by I see oil on my alternator and all in the passenger side and by the lower control arm which is covered in oil, just wanted to know where it could possibly be
I’ll clean it up later so I can sorta jot it down where it is
I’ll upload a picture of the top in a bit!!
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Tread Wood Grey Style

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gear

·
Registered
316 Posts
If it's just running down, I'd suspect the valve cover gasket. That's an easy fix, follow the manual and use honda-bond where it tells you to.

If it looks like it's spraying, that could be a main seal.

Often helps to clean it all off good, then drive it and see where you get fresh oil.

·
Registered
2008 auto TSX CGP
615 Posts
Based on the amount of oil/fluid in the pictures we can definitely say...it's coming from somewhere! Wish we could be more helpful but you need to clean it up so that anyone can start monitoring to see where it's leaking from.

It may be coming from your power steering. What color is your power steering fluid? Does the leak smell like engine oil or your power steering fluid?

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's probably coming from a seal, P/S pump could do that, or engine main... obviously hitting rotating parts. I don't think a valve cover would get sprayed around like that, but again need to clean it off to get a better idea where it's coming from.

If P/S level hasn't changed, then it's engine oil. P/S is also reddish, unless it's really old. Smells different too.

·
Registered
2008 auto TSX CGP
615 Posts
Definitely check your fluid levels. Fluids are only their original color when clean. Oil and power steering fluids are known to quickly change color via contamination and use, that's why the smell test is very insightful. Figure out what fluid you are leaking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will do then, should I use a degreaser or brake cleaner or power wash to get it clean? Since it’s around the belt
And should I change it aswell since it looks like the liquid was probably on it already??

·
Registered
2008 auto TSX CGP
615 Posts
Use any method that will clean areas that may be leaking. I usually take mine to a self wash and power wash the engine bay. It does a great job at cleaning large areas. Just be careful not to target sensitive electronic areas. I don't cover any areas and have never had any issues starting my car. That may be just be my good luck.

Try to determine what type of fluid you are leaking before you clean. It'll make it easier to monitor leaks after you clean. You probably won't need to replace your belt unless it won't clean easily. Use your judgement after you clean to see if it looks clean and isn't worn, glazed or stretched.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've used car wash pressure washers, and garden hoses with sprayers. Never had any electrical issues with modern cars (a few issues waay back in the day, 70's era vehicles, all resolved after drying out).

I spray the engine while hot but after having cooled down for a while. Warm engine helps dry the water quickly. Too hot might possibly crack an exhaust manifold... if the water flashes too steam, I'd let it cool more.

Then I take it for a drive to help dry what's left.

You could get a can of engine degreaser, that should work with a garden hose.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yowzers ... It looks like a lot of different points. Keep an eye on thos oil levels atleast every other day. Keep us posted changed a few seals in my time and the TSX has a few on the left side and are small but spit out a lot of fluid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had this oil leak for quite a while and I want to figure out where it’s coming from, at first it was a bit and I thought when I got an oil change they maybe spilt a bit as it was only a bit of oil
But as weeks and days went by I see oil on my alternator and all in the passenger side and by the lower control arm which is covered in oil, just wanted to know where it could possibly be
I’ll clean it up later so I can sorta jot it down where it is
I’ll upload a picture of the top in a bit!!
View attachment 49837
View attachment 49838
View attachment 49836
I had the exact same problem on my 05 after spending money on small fixes it wound up being my rack and pinion. They are notorious for tearing the boot which causes a leak. Check the power steering fluid level. I didn’t want to spend the cash on replacing so I tried a bunch of other things first. Ended up replacing the whole thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to clean off a bit with a bit of brake clean and while doing so I saw a cable unplugged!!!! Not sure if it was my crankshaft sensor plug or something else!!! All I know was that it was unplugged
I
Gas Fluid Motor vehicle Auto part Fuel line

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my car starts up normal and idles normal with occasional small shakes
While inspecting fluids I also came about my brake fluid a bit low, maybe it’s time for new brake, I’ll check those out tomorrow as well!!
And oil level seem to be good and not low

1 - 15 of 15 Posts