Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone sat in my car with a pen in there back pocket. now theres pen marks all over my leather. does any one know a way to get out the pen marks? thanks

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Well, don't rely on what I'm going to say, because it might be ridiculous, but at least it'll make it easier for everyone else to come in on here -- I imagine they won't be able to resist saying how idiotic this is. :D
And if they DON'T, you might want to try it.

What I would do is, I'd take a cloth (or even a good-quality paper towel if I happened to have one handy); dab it with a tiny amount of alcohol -- any kind, like a couple of drops of that sanitizer stuff (if you use wine make sure it's white :D ) ; and just as a test, rub it slightly on one of the marks, and see what happens. If none of it comes off, give up on this. If it starts coming off pretty well, stop anyway, and wait a few minutes and see if the leather looks completely OK. I imagine that a tiny test like this wouldn't do any detectable harm; at worst, you'd see some very slight sign that this wasn't the right idea. If it checks out OK, then do it a bit more, and check again, etc., doing more each time. Obviously this isn't for you if you don't want to take any chance of doing even the tiniest bit of harm.

OK everybody, bring it on! :D

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Not that I have the perfect solution to your problem or anything but could you give us some more information?

What color is the leather interior? (I'm guessing parchment)
What color is the pen ink?
Where exactly are the pen marks? (On the bottom seat? Back rest? Perforated or solid smooth portion of the seat?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was a blue ballpoint pen, im guessin it was in her backpocket in the passnger seat in the front on the actual seat, yes its parchment leather. any help to resolve this would be great thanks

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
This probably isn't that hard, even though we don't have the exact answer for you.

Here's what I'd really do: I'd go to any major hardware store that I trust -- I've got several hardware stores like that and I imagine you have at least one -- and I'd just ask. I figure somebody there would probably have a pretty good idea, and that they'd probably have a good product right there or else they'd tell you where you could go to get it. Or, even if they didn't know, they'd probably be able to tell you where you could go to find out.

I'd feel pretty confident that within an hour or two, I'd have the answer, the product, and the method.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
.....except that a couple of the sites about this say NOT to use soap and water!

In fact, I think they say not to use soap OR water. :donno:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looked everywhere today , they just told me no we do not carry any products that wouldnt harm your leather while taking out the pen marks, and we highly do not recommend u to use it. they told me to go try a detailing shop which im guessing around 40$... what do u guys think i should do .:(

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
theos_tsx said:
what do u guys think i should do .:(
I'd go to your dealer, and hit them up. They have a whole department just for detailing, and should have something that will do the trick. Not to mention they should do it for you for free :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
.....and what about any good leather cleaner? I'm surprised the hardware people didn't suggest at least trying something like that. I don't know if it would clean up the ink marks, but at least it wouldn't harm the leather. If it was me, and nobody was giving me anything more specific, I'd try it -- carefully, at least as a test.

And I'd even try that alcohol too, as I said before. But that's riskier.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
I'm a big fan of Lexol leather cleaners and conditioners. They've worked very well at lifting light stains and keeping the leather firm and looking like new.

But taking off dark ink mark from a light interior might be quite a stretch.

If you decide to give it a shot, make sure to buy the cleaner, not the conditioner. If the cleaner works well, then you might want to consider buying the conditioner later on. Lexol is available at most auto supply stores (like Pep Boys). It costs about $7 a bottle but the bottle will last a very long time.

Here's their website:
http://www.lexol.com/index.html

Let us know how things turn out. G'luck.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
theos_tsx said:
looked everywhere today , they just told me no we do not carry any products that wouldnt harm your leather while taking out the pen marks, and we highly do not recommend u to use it. they told me to go try a detailing shop which im guessing around 40$... what do u guys think i should do .:(
Sorry, I didn't see your post sooner but hopefully this will help if you haven't done anything yet. Try some "hairspray," that's right hairspray. Spray some on a clean white piece of towel and rub gently until the ink disappears. May need to repeat this a couple of times if the ink has set over a long period.

Hope this helps and let us know how you make out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts