Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 04 TSX motor and ive spent the last 2 days at work dealing with information overload. I have a few questions but first what i am trying to do with it. I am daily-ing this motor avg 30 miles a day mostly freeway, a little spirited driving on the weekends and maybe one track day. I am going the full bolt on route first to enjoy the car then maybe boost later down the road (1.5-2 years). I have most of my mods figured out i just need to have some light shed on the grey areas i have.

My bolt ons:
Intake: Custom Short Ram CAI style
TB: Stock
IM: ?
Cam: 06/08 TSX Intake
VTC: ?
EM: Comptech header
CB: Comptech

My questions
1. Keep the RBB manifold or go RBC? Not sure if there is a difference between 04/05 and 06/08 RBB manifolds, i read the intake manifold shootout and im not sure what would be better for going full bolt ons? Im up in the air about either.
2. Should i drop in the RSX type S VTC, modify the pre existing VTC to 40*/45* or leave as is. Not sure what would be more beneficial for my mods and desire for the car.
3. Would it be acceptable to just drop in the 06/08 intake cam or would it not even be worth it for my set up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just got my 04 TSX motor and ive spent the last 2 days at work dealing with information overload. I have a few questions but first what i am trying to do with it. I am daily-ing this motor avg 30 miles a day mostly freeway, a little spirited driving on the weekends and maybe one track day. I am going the full bolt on route first to enjoy the car then maybe boost later down the road (1.5-2 years). I have most of my mods figured out i just need to have some light shed on the grey areas i have.

My bolt ons:
Intake: Custom Short Ram CAI style
TB: Stock
IM: ?
Cam: 06/08 TSX Intake
VTC: ?
EM: Comptech header
CB: Comptech

My questions
1. Keep the RBB manifold or go RBC? Not sure if there is a difference between 04/05 and 06/08 RBB manifolds, i read the intake manifold shootout and im not sure what would be better for going full bolt ons? Im up in the air about either.
2. Should i drop in the RSX type S VTC, modify the pre existing VTC to 40*/45* or leave as is. Not sure what would be more beneficial for my mods and desire for the car.
3. Would it be acceptable to just drop in the 06/08 intake cam or would it not even be worth it for my set up.

1-RBC is proven to make moré power and in my opinion looks way better. I got my for $140 used
2-there are plenty of people runing 50vtc on stock motors even some with head work and No problems at all.
3-If you can find one cheap, it won't hurt to try lots of people have done it.

What fuel, tuning options are on your plans?
Check out my thread I got a little set up in the works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1-RBC is proven to make moré power and in my opinion looks way better. I got my for $140 used
2-there are plenty of people runing 50vtc on stock motors even some with head work and No problems at all.
3-If you can find one cheap, it won't hurt to try lots of people have done it.

What fuel, tuning options are on your plans?
Check out my thread I got a little set up in the works.
I like the rbc also and it fills up the bay nicely, not sure if porting it would help much. My fuel would probably be 91 since it's a daily, I also wanted to try e85 but I'm not sure if it's really worth it with just full bolt ons. I'm gonna check out your thread and the help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Add flash pro to that list, you cant do 50% of what you have listed without it. That being said run the RBC, you will also need a new TB J35 or J37 will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
This article should help answer question #1 06 TSX Tech

On another note - I have a set of 2008 camshafts & 45 degree VTC for sale, if youre interested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Add flash pro to that list, you cant do 50% of what you have listed without it. That being said run the RBC, you will also need a new TB J35 or J37 will do the trick.
Flash pro was a given just forgot to list it... should of made a separate section for ECU mods, Thanks for the TB suggestions

This article should help answer question #1 06 TSX Tech

On another note - I have a set of 2008 camshafts & 45 degree VTC for sale, if youre interested.
Part out just the intake cam? & might be interested in the VTC, i see your SoCal also :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Depending on the total set of mods, you may not really need anything bigger than an 06 throttle body. This is not a case where bigger is better. See here:

Big bore throttle bodies and the facts you should know | FlashPro Tuning
Wow. So much anger in that post. Im sure he is sick of kids rolling up with huge TBs on stock engines and then getting pissed off at him for why there car doesnt idle correctly.

Using a 90mm TB has its pros and cons, and so does using something half its size, goals need to be sorted and prioritized.

Regardless the J35 TB matches to the RBC mani well, not too big and its not too small. Will idle fine with a full bolt on engine, including cams.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts