Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
My car whines...alot
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, big thanks to Dave and his team at Audioworks for the great custom install work...

With all of my power mods complete, I decided to focus on the ICE and interior of my car. My goal was to beef up the stereo system while maintaining an OEM appearance. I'm a big home theater guy, so I value quality sound. This led me to the following components:

Speakers
- Morel Elate 6 2-way components (front)
- Morel Integra Ovations (rear deck)
- JL Audio 10W6 (sealed enclosure)

Amps
- Audison LRX6.9
- JL Audio 500/1 v2 (w/ bass control knob)

DSP
-JBL MS-8

Other components
- Kenwood CMOS-300 backup camera
- AV Electronic A/V video switcher
- iSimple iPod cable
- Mercman BALUN harness
- Dynamat in the front doors and trunk
- white LED strips mounted in front footwell
- blue LED strips mounted in trunk

I went with the Morel/Audison combination in the car because I prefer a warmer (i.e. slightly bassier) sound and the Morels gave it to me. They have soft-dome aluminum tweeters which are anything but fatiguing. In the rear, I cut out the rear door speakers and had the 6.5" full-range Integra Ovations custom mounted into the rear deck. Although I'm aware the rears aren't used heavily, this gives a better soundstage from the rear when the tweeters are mounted at ear level.

I chose the Audison amp because I've read great things about their components and the fact that they have continuous output ratings. Also, the fact that it's a 6-channel amp mean that I could bi-amp the front speakers rather than use the passive crossover it came with.

For the DSP, I initially went with the Audison BitOne. However, I found the parameter adjustments to be rather unintuitive. It was very hard to tune out the various nodes/nulls in my system. After doing some research, this led me to the JBL MS-8 system which has an auto-calibration feature that many people believe yield similar results to a properly calibrated BitOne tune. It's much easier to use, yet it also allows for manual tweaking options should you want to fine tune it more to your liking. The one drawback of the system is that the in-cabin display requires you to use an RF remote - there are no external buttons. This means that if you lose the remote (which I did at one point), you can't adjust anything on the system.

As for the install, I had the guys at Audioworks mount the amps and MS-8 in the tire well. To give it a custom look, I then had them dye all the trunk panels black and build a new trunk floor with a 3/4" plexiglass window with the Acura symbol frosted onto it so you could see the amps (lit up with blue LED strips). Because ventilation was a major concern, the guys also added two exhaust fans on either corner of the wheel well. However, they're both covered up with porous felt, so you can't see them unless you raise the panel.

I also had the guys at Audioworks mount the MS-8 controller into the aluminum trim in the cabin. The color scheme of the controller matches pretty well, it almost looks OEM...almost...

Overall I think everything came out pretty well:

(excuse the crappy iPhone pic quality...I'm in between cameras at the moment)

In this pic, you can also see the bass control knob mounted right next to the activation switch for my aftercooler heat exchanger. Figure you should use all 4 of those panels...

About the OEM navigation integration, I followed the old adage "show not tell" and took a quick vid of how everything works. I'm quite pleased with how this came out as well:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cgUmetsNzJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...oh and don't know if I can call it Phase 10, but here are pics of my new summer shoes ;)

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
Wow! That is crazy nice. Good and nice custom work.

Questions:

What's the crazy red toggle switch for?

What is that extra box for in the back on the left? 2 batteries?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
wow everything looks great

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
Perfect example of the contagious mod bug!
I still recall seeing your thread at phase 5, now you're almost up to phase 10! :laugh:

Cant wait to see the news wheels mounted. They look great and should sit flush.
Car's coming along nicely! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Not a big audio fan either but as far as audio goes, that's one nice setup:thumbsup:

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
re: weds

oh my...

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
Damn... you got some nice things.

Def one of the best modded TSXs I've seen.

·
Registered
572 Posts
interesting that you decided to add some ICE to your car since your car seems quite performance oriented, therefore, not trying to add any excessive weight. Then again, I have no idea how heavy that stuff is.
Lastly, it's nice to see more people rocking Weds, as I am a proud owner of my TC-005s

1 - 20 of 34 Posts