·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do u think? looking clean?

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
If you want a 0.75" drop, I would suggest the OEM A-Spec suspension kit. You don't need coilovers if you don't want to go lower. The A-Spec kit is OEM quality, fully assembled, and can be found fairly cheap. You could also just get lowering springs but they're not much cheaper than the A-Specs and you'll wear out your stock shocks sooner.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
To be honest. I don't even think Aspecs will lower it as much as you chopped it in the picture.

I would personally go springs if you just want a moderate drop. Less than 1" doesn't put too much strain on OEM struts. You can get your monies worth from them and then go Konis in the future. You can easily get springs for under $200.
Just my thoughts.

·
What to put here?
1,991 Posts
Just installed my MT A-Spec suspension yesterday. It dropped about 1" at the rear and about 5/8" at the front. This is based on my photoshop measuring using the 2-3/4" center cap for scale. I've read that over time it may adjust slightly lower.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input guys! i think imma eventually go with a-spec suspension. i was looking for TEIN's CST GSA42-K1SS3 $1700.00 full kit, but $1700!!!.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
To be honest. I don't even think Aspecs will lower it as much as you chopped it in the picture.

I would personally go springs if you just want a moderate drop. Less than 1" doesn't put too much strain on OEM struts. You can get your monies worth from them and then go Konis in the future. You can easily get springs for under $200.
Just my thoughts.
+1.

If you don't want to go lower and you think you'll be ok with that height, go with an Eibach springs and Koni yellow. It barely cost more than the Aspec, but will be 10x better.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
if you are looking for a very mild drop, then Tein CST is not for you.
The Tein CS can offer a very mild drop. If you look in the Tein book, at the highest setting they will offer 1in drop in the front and 1in the rear.

If you are interested I will be selling mine in the next 2 to 4 weeks, they have less than 1,200 miles on them.

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
Well I took a day off work to install the CST and got a very rude surprise. The Tein advertised drop of 1.1" is NOWHERE near accurate. I got these things because I was rubbing a little on my driveway with A-Spec's. The CST's drop way more than that and there is very little upward adjustment.

I installed the fronts this afternoon and I left the perches at the recommended setting, which accoring to Tein should lower the front by 1.1" When I got both front sides on I lowered the car off the jackstands and the front end went down so far that I couldn't get the jack out from under the car! I measured the drop from the top fo the wheel arch to the canter of the wheel like the instructions said and I measured a drop of over 2"!!! I raised the perches equally on both front struts until they were about 1/2" from the top of the threads. I put the wheels back on and remeasured and the drop was still 1.75" Still too low for me and I don't think you can adjust it much higher than that.

I got these because I was scraping on the driveway with ASpecs, but there is no way I can come close to making it up the drive with these. This completely sucks. I took them off and and going to have to stick with the ASpecs. Even though all the websites and Tein documents say these only lower 1.1" there is no way this is right, I measured a solid 2.0" drop using the procedure in the Tein instructions. And compared with the Aspecs, the ASpecs gave me a loose 2 finger gap above the front wheels. With these coilovers, I could barely get a 1 finger gap by adjusting the perches all the way up. I didn't put the rears on but I am certain the they will drop a lot more than the advertised 1.2"
I have an '08 TSX with the A-Specs that were for '06 to '08 vehicles. The A-Spec kit on my car lowered the front about 1.25. I bought the Teins because their advertised lowering was less than I measured in the ASpecs and I thought it would have the adjustability to go higher if necessary. Boy was I wrong...

Blair
I don't how to feel about this post. Blair, what about our service made you feel like you could not ask any and all questions to me?

Yes, as you found out, dust boots are included. Also, the instructions, while in Japanese are not too difficult to understand with some coaching. We have walked people through it before on the phone, and given install pointers as well. WE ARE HERE FOR YOU NEXT TIME!

Yes, the CST is lower than A-spec. I could have told you that before you got them. However they should not be as low as you experienced. That should have been the maximum drop. I wish you would have called or emailed so that we could have talked you though the situation and maybe learned something ourselves to tell other customers.

We HAVE sold a few of these kits under the same ride and lowering pretense and have NOT gotten this sort of feedback. Needless to say, your input would have been valuable!

MMsTSX, if you could please get with me on the details of your install and the setting of the kit that you use.

Marcus
Hi Marcus:

I am not blaming you for the problems I had. I think your service was great, the price was great, and the shipping was fast. The problem I had was that every piece of information I found about the CST on the net and from Tein said the lowering was 1.1" When I called Tein and asked them about this they also told me over the phone that the kit would lower 1.1" I think it is crazy that they are marketing coilovers that lower 1.1" when they actually drop the car 2.1" from stock and there isn't enough adjustability to get it to 1.1" from stock. I had no problems installing them. I already did an Aspec install so the instructions being in japanese wasn't a problem. The problem was that the reference measurements were in japanese and it took a couple of different people at Tein to translate them and tell me what the measurements should be.

I am not writing this to slam the product, nor do I have problem with Marcus or Heeltoe, I just want others considering buying the Tein CST to know that the advertised 1.1" drop is nowhere near correct.

Blair
I think you took it the wrong way....

I don't think you are blaming me or the product reallyl...I just wish you would have contacted me about the problems :)

Marcus
Marcus:
No worries... just venting a little.

Blair
^this is what I'm talking about

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
^this is what I'm talking about
1 person. We all know that the drop will be more the the ASPEC. It could have been one of the first sets ever made. I have CST's and they are all the way down, I am not tucking any tire, I have about a finger gap all around. I know that if I were to raise it up, I would have the car up pretty close to ASPEC, no problem.

I've seen pics of your car, and it looks way lower than what my CST's can do. You said you bought them second hand, I think that the previous owner may have swapped out the spings for shorter ones.

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
1 person. We all know that the drop will be more the the ASPEC. It could have been one of the first sets ever made. I have CST's and they are all the way down, I am not tucking any tire, I have about a finger gap all around. I know that if I were to raise it up, I would have the car up pretty close to ASPEC, no problem.

I've seen pics of your car, and it looks way lower than what my CST's can do. You said you bought them second hand, I think that the previous owner may have swapped out the spings for shorter ones.
no they didn't. I bought them from Blair. he didn't switch anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts