Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey folks, long time no post.

long story short, my TSX got rear-ended (no one hurt thankfully) and i finally got an estimate. since my stock exhaust was crushed, i need a new one and figured now would be as good a time as any to get an aftermarket exahust. i'm not looking to break the bank and was just wondering if anyone had thoughts on the following options--

apex'i WS2 ($879 at excelerate performance)
buddyclub pro spec dual ($738 at excelerate)
buddyclub spec III pro exhaust ($683 at kingmotorsports, i think this may be the single)

i've read the BC's are pretty loud and might drone. not sure if the wife will like that lol.

looking to get some feedback so i can ask the shop to order one ASAP.

thanks.

EDIT: actually, the BC exhaust on kingmotorsorts is dual. i just called to confirm so it's cheaper there.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
actually, it seems like all the buddyclub reviews say it's just too loud. not sure if'd like that. wish there were more options under $1K.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
if you want quiet, you're going to want to stick with apex'i ws2, comptech, fujitsubo, tanabe, or just have a shop make you a custom one with a resonator and whatever muffler(s) you want

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wanna buy my feels?
LOL. does it only bolt up to JDM parts? how much are you selling it for?

if you want quiet, you're going to want to stick with apex'i ws2, comptech, fujitsubo, tanabe, or just have a shop make you a custom one with a resonator and whatever muffler(s) you want
agreed. i wouldn't mind it louder, but everything about the BC points to obnoxiously loud. i'm leaning toward the WS2.

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
If the BC's are anything like the RSX single exhaust I would stay away. They're LOUD!! Friend had one on his RSX along with the BC header and we could hear him from 2-3 city blocks away. I'd stick to the WS2, they look and sound nice.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I have the WS2 and it is a little loud for my taste, but everyone always tells me they love the way it sounds (I like sleepers and OEM sound). I do however, love the look of it on the TSX and fits it like a glove. I would get a fujitsubo if I could for the lower sound output and all SS design, but you can't go wrong with the WS2. Also, something to consider is upgrading the hangers while doing the install. When I installed mine I had a cluck on somewhat new OEM hangers...changed to stiffer upgraded one and nothing at all.

·
Jeff
902 Posts
You could always look into custom setups as well with vibrant and magnaflow parts. Heard plenty of custom exhausts that as good, if not better, as "brand name" exhausts.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seems like the WS2 is not available. next best option is the tanabe medallion touring for a few hundred more.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i ended up getting the tanabe and it was installed yesterday. i have to say, i'm surprised at how loud it is. the resonance in lower RPMs is almost bothersome. i'm hoping that i'll adjust to it eventually otherwise i may look into some silencers which i believe are available from tanabe.

otherwise, it looks fantastic visually and sounds great from the outside. i'm running a CT-E header and RT cat with no issues. going to get my current calibration updated through vittuned.

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
post pics!!!!

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
post pics!!!!
here's what i could muster up since i didn't have a chance to take pics when it was on the lift. the fitment looks spot on and the piece itself is super clean and the welds great.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i need a little input from people running a full header/cat or pipe/exhaust combo.

since the tanabe was installed the noise level is just really, really loud. like ears ringing after i leave the car loud. i'm a bit surprised that the noise level is that high considering so many discussions online here, and other forums, keep saying the medalion touring is fairly quiet and slightly louder than stock. i have a CT-E header and RT cat, and i get including those may increase the noise. but i'm a bit concerned not only for my own hearing but for my kids.

is there a break-in period for exhausts and will it possibly quiet down? i've randomly read this is the case for exhausts as you're burning off whatever chemicals were used in the manufacturing process and as the materials inside the mufflers spread out, and the exhaust bearings settle.

this is what i'm experiencing now--the resonance/noise between 1500-2000 rpm is noticeably loud and ear-ringing. once you're north of 2000 rpm, it isn't so bad, but the problem is if i'm cruising in 5th gear (AT) 2000 is sorta where the needle sits and you get that resonance (guess it's the drone?). i haven't tried WOT, but even if i'm mashing the pedal a little to pass on the highway, it gets noticeably loud and roars.

i tried to look underneath and i don't think there's any rattling or contact. i haven't checked to see if there are leaks yet. but any insight would be appreciated. if this thing doesn't 'settle,' i'm highly considering taking it off and swapping it plus cash for the OEM again if someone is willing to buy it. i can't live with my ears ringing and the occasional headaches this thing brings.

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
very nice... does it tuck up nice and close to the under carriage? Or does it hang down?

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
Wow it's that annoying? I hope my exhaust doesn't get like that once I install headers and tp. Looks great though :tu:

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow it's that annoying? I hope my exhaust doesn't get like that once I install headers and tp. Looks great though :tu:
it is really loud. idk if it's an issue with AT cars or maybe my own personal hearing (ie. the frequencies just bother me), but it's to the point where i'm worried about my hearing.

if anyone has thoughts or experiences, please post. i need to know if the noise will chance once it's broken in or if that's just a myth. i'm actually pricing out a new OEM exhuast right now. haha.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL, i just asked the wife and she says the noise/resonance doesn't bother her at all. but she knows the exhaust is loud and there.

great. i wonder if it's my ears that are just being stupid.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
it is really loud. idk if it's an issue with AT cars or maybe my own personal hearing (ie. the frequencies just bother me), but it's to the point where i'm worried about my hearing.

if anyone has thoughts or experiences, please post. i need to know if the noise will chance once it's broken in or if that's just a myth. i'm actually pricing out a new OEM exhuast right now. haha.
My experience has been this is a myth - I had a Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust installed on my wife's del Sol and it didn't get any quieter. When I picked it up and drove it home, the in-cabin droning made me very nervous and I told her if we needed to place an order for an OEM exhaust, just say so. Later I swapped the headers from OEM to DC sports 4-1 headers and noticed that it made the droning much less of an issue in the cabin, but it got a touch louder outside of the car. I guess I've gotten used to it, but the only time it really bothers me is if I'm straining that engine and trying to wring every ounce of power out of it.

Earlier this year, I installed a Fujitsubo Legalis R on my '08 TSX and I love it.. I have the CT-E Icebox & Header, FLP high flow cat, 45 deg VTC gear and Flashpro on my TSX and swapping the OEM exhaust made me very nervous, but after the last round of dyno-tuning, it was becoming more and more obvious that the OEM exhaust was my bottleneck, so after watching exhaust threads for years, I found someone here selling a Fujitsubo and I'm very pleased - no droning and it has a very well balanced growl to it that seems to fit the TSX nicely.

Of course now, I've got to spend a few extra minutes with metal polish each time I wash the car to keep the exhaust looking its best. ;)

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
LOL, i just asked the wife and she says the noise/resonance doesn't bother her at all. but she knows the exhaust is loud and there.

great. i wonder if it's my ears that are just being stupid.
:lol: Wife-1 You-0

Member din9leberry has a 06 OEM exhaust for pretty cheap. He's local too.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My experience has been this is a myth - I had a Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust installed on my wife's del Sol and it didn't get any quieter. When I picked it up and drove it home, the in-cabin droning made me very nervous and I told her if we needed to place an order for an OEM exhaust, just say so. Later I swapped the headers from OEM to DC sports 4-1 headers and noticed that it made the droning much less of an issue in the cabin, but it got a touch louder outside of the car. I guess I've gotten used to it, but the only time it really bothers me is if I'm straining that engine and trying to wring every ounce of power out of it.

Earlier this year, I installed a Fujitsubo Legalis R on my '08 TSX and I love it.. I have the CT-E Icebox & Header, FLP high flow cat, 45 deg VTC gear and Flashpro on my TSX and swapping the OEM exhaust made me very nervous, but after the last round of dyno-tuning, it was becoming more and more obvious that the OEM exhaust was my bottleneck, so after watching exhaust threads for years, I found someone here selling a Fujitsubo and I'm very pleased - no droning and it has a very well balanced growl to it that seems to fit the TSX nicely.

Of course now, I've got to spend a few extra minutes with metal polish each time I wash the car to keep the exhaust looking its best. ;)
that is what's most frustrating. on G37 or 350/370 forums, etc...everyone says the exhaust is quiet! there's still that smell and i think i've put only like 100+ miles on it so far, but i'm going to try and wait and see if it gets better. there were a few posts that said it does quiet down after a bit. i actually drove around with earplugs in last night so the resonance wouldn't bother me as much. really hoping it'll change some. some people have recommended adding another resonator but i'm not sure how i feel hacking up the exhaust. that'd require finding someone to tig welt it too.

:lol: Wife-1 You-0

Member din9leberry has a 06 OEM exhaust for pretty cheap. He's local too.
seriously dude. my wife was asleep last night as i was driving. if things don't get better after 400-500 miles, i may have to look up din9leberry. there was a seller in NJ with one, but i know din9leberry is even closer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts