Acura TSX Forum banner

picking an exhaust--Tanabe Medalion Touring

14K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  lilmikey0118 
#1 · (Edited)
hey folks, long time no post.

long story short, my TSX got rear-ended (no one hurt thankfully) and i finally got an estimate. since my stock exhaust was crushed, i need a new one and figured now would be as good a time as any to get an aftermarket exahust. i'm not looking to break the bank and was just wondering if anyone had thoughts on the following options--

apex'i WS2 ($879 at excelerate performance)
buddyclub pro spec dual ($738 at excelerate)
buddyclub spec III pro exhaust ($683 at kingmotorsports, i think this may be the single)

i've read the BC's are pretty loud and might drone. not sure if the wife will like that lol.

looking to get some feedback so i can ask the shop to order one ASAP.

thanks.

EDIT: actually, the BC exhaust on kingmotorsorts is dual. i just called to confirm so it's cheaper there.

See less See more
#2 ·
actually, it seems like all the buddyclub reviews say it's just too loud. not sure if'd like that. wish there were more options under $1K.

#5 ·
LOL. does it only bolt up to JDM parts? how much are you selling it for?

if you want quiet, you're going to want to stick with apex'i ws2, comptech, fujitsubo, tanabe, or just have a shop make you a custom one with a resonator and whatever muffler(s) you want
agreed. i wouldn't mind it louder, but everything about the BC points to obnoxiously loud. i'm leaning toward the WS2.

#7 ·
I have the WS2 and it is a little loud for my taste, but everyone always tells me they love the way it sounds (I like sleepers and OEM sound). I do however, love the look of it on the TSX and fits it like a glove. I would get a fujitsubo if I could for the lower sound output and all SS design, but you can't go wrong with the WS2. Also, something to consider is upgrading the hangers while doing the install. When I installed mine I had a cluck on somewhat new OEM hangers...changed to stiffer upgraded one and nothing at all.

#9 ·
seems like the WS2 is not available. next best option is the tanabe medallion touring for a few hundred more.

#10 ·
so i ended up getting the tanabe and it was installed yesterday. i have to say, i'm surprised at how loud it is. the resonance in lower RPMs is almost bothersome. i'm hoping that i'll adjust to it eventually otherwise i may look into some silencers which i believe are available from tanabe.

otherwise, it looks fantastic visually and sounds great from the outside. i'm running a CT-E header and RT cat with no issues. going to get my current calibration updated through vittuned.

#12 ·
here's what i could muster up since i didn't have a chance to take pics when it was on the lift. the fitment looks spot on and the piece itself is super clean and the welds great.

#13 ·
i need a little input from people running a full header/cat or pipe/exhaust combo.

since the tanabe was installed the noise level is just really, really loud. like ears ringing after i leave the car loud. i'm a bit surprised that the noise level is that high considering so many discussions online here, and other forums, keep saying the medalion touring is fairly quiet and slightly louder than stock. i have a CT-E header and RT cat, and i get including those may increase the noise. but i'm a bit concerned not only for my own hearing but for my kids.

is there a break-in period for exhausts and will it possibly quiet down? i've randomly read this is the case for exhausts as you're burning off whatever chemicals were used in the manufacturing process and as the materials inside the mufflers spread out, and the exhaust bearings settle.

this is what i'm experiencing now--the resonance/noise between 1500-2000 rpm is noticeably loud and ear-ringing. once you're north of 2000 rpm, it isn't so bad, but the problem is if i'm cruising in 5th gear (AT) 2000 is sorta where the needle sits and you get that resonance (guess it's the drone?). i haven't tried WOT, but even if i'm mashing the pedal a little to pass on the highway, it gets noticeably loud and roars.

i tried to look underneath and i don't think there's any rattling or contact. i haven't checked to see if there are leaks yet. but any insight would be appreciated. if this thing doesn't 'settle,' i'm highly considering taking it off and swapping it plus cash for the OEM again if someone is willing to buy it. i can't live with my ears ringing and the occasional headaches this thing brings.

#16 ·
it is really loud. idk if it's an issue with AT cars or maybe my own personal hearing (ie. the frequencies just bother me), but it's to the point where i'm worried about my hearing.

if anyone has thoughts or experiences, please post. i need to know if the noise will chance once it's broken in or if that's just a myth. i'm actually pricing out a new OEM exhuast right now. haha.

#17 ·
LOL, i just asked the wife and she says the noise/resonance doesn't bother her at all. but she knows the exhaust is loud and there.

great. i wonder if it's my ears that are just being stupid.

#24 ·
update--

crawled under today and torqued down all the bolts/nuts. all the hangers seem to be in ok condition. i don't see any sort of contact with the exhaust and any heat shields or suspension parts. and i tried the wet rag in the exhaust tips to check for leaks. felt pressure building in both tips against the rags so i think everything is bolted down fine.

my only conclusion is that some how the engine, with the setup i have, is creating resonance that's amplified by the tanabe system and it's probably worse for whatever reason because my car is an AT. really bummed out about this. i'm driving upstate this weekend for what's going to be about a 200 mile round trip. i've clocked in maybe 150-200 miles thus far, but i'm wearing earplugs to tolerate it all. if this thing doesn't change after 500-600 miles, i going to have to take it off.

#27 ·
thanks greentrees. it's just irritating that i had to find out this way.

so i just got back from upstate and put like 200+ miles on it. sound levels still insane at the noted points. i think in my head i'm getting used to it more but my wife sat in the back for a bit and said it gets pretty loud especially when i'm mashing on the pedal, so that's not good for the kids. the cabin vibration is just atrocious. the front lap belts rattle on the pillars. i had a dunkin donuts cup in the cup holder rattling and squeaking. it's just unreal! cruising around 60 MPH was ok. the drone was kinda minimal but it was really hilly there and all the accelerating was a headache. i've never hated driving the car as much as i do right now. haha. this thing is coming off. for anyone interested in it locally, i'm going to be putting it up in the classifieds.

and if anyone local has an 06+ exhaust they want to get rid of that's in good shape, PM me please. i'm going to PM you right now dingleberry. LOL.

#32 ·
I don't think video and the accompanying sound will do it justice. Drone is also subjective and maybe my ears are more sensitive, but there is just a lot of vibration and resonance. You'd really have to sit in the car to experience it.

I did try to take a vid of the exhaust shaking, which it does quite a bit at idle but you barely pick it up in the vid. In person though there is a lot of movement. I'm wondering if the CTE header rattle is playing a part in this. But I don't really have the time or luxury to do a trial and error for parts now.

#36 ·
just wanted to thank din9leberry for the sale of his OEM pipes and the reference to the shop to have it welded together. that dude is a solid forum member even though he doesn't have his TSX anymore. thanks bro, i truly appreciate all the help.

so i took the day off yesterday to swap the OEM exhaust back in and to take the tanabe off. didn't take very long and i have to say OEM never sounded so good, driving is a pleasurable experience again. i can now rev past 3000 RPM without dealing crippling resonance and i don't have to wear earplugs.

once i get some pics i'll be putting the tanabe up for sale locally if NY people are interested so stay tuned.

#39 ·
tsudo muffler

Hey guys my name is mikey im new to the tsx family I wss looking for mufflers for my car and I came across som Tsudo mufflers for my 2006 tsx I went on youtube to see how they sound and there really no sound I wanted some in put to see what can make it sound better from headers to intake to cherry bomb what can I do to make it sound really good n if u have video please shows

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.