Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I put some 3M vinyl wrap on my roof. It took about 2 hours with a friend helping. I learned through trial and error how to best fit this product, it came out pretty good though if I did it again it would be cleaner. Still, it looks pretty great I think.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the goodwill.

The trim and emblems and grill are flat black so this matches nice as opposed to gloss. Wanted a more subtle look too.

·
VBP CREW
232 Posts
I was thinking about doing the plasti dip spray on my roof...

How much was the 3m?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's 3M which is top grade, has 5 year warranty, unsure of price because a buddy had some leftover (he wrapped his entire Mercedes) and we used it for mine.

·
VBP CREW
232 Posts
I think im going to bite your style and see how this would look on a 2nd gen ( vbp color ) gloss black 3m though... Just to match the blacked out windows and black wheels

·
Autobahn Stormer
434 Posts
You-Tube

Instructions

Park the vehicle in the sun for several hours, especially if the temperature is above 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The heat from the sun and air aid with the removal process.

Move the vehicle so you can reach the entire vehicle with a heat gun. Plug your heat gun into an electrical outlet or approved extension cord.

Apply heat to one corner of the 3M vehicle wrap with the heat gun. Hold the heat gun 6 inches from the vehicle and move the gun back and forth while heating the area. Continue heating until the corner edge of the 3M wrap begins to separate from the vehicle.

Peel the 3M vehicle wrap away from the vehicle at a low angle with your fingers. Apply heat as you move down the vehicle removing the wrap. Keep your fingers close to the vehicle as you pull the wrap away. This helps to remove the wrap in larger pieces.

Continue the heating and peeling process until you remove the wrap from the vehicle. Begin at corners with each new piece you remove.

Clean the vehicle with 3M citrus cleaner and a rag to remove any residual adhesive material. Wash the vehicle thoroughly as normal to remove the 3M citrus cleaner.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_7574501_remove-3m-vehicle-wrap.html#ixzz2N2DmWMA3

·
Registered
107 Posts
i was thinking of the carbon fiber vinyl they had as well. I dont see a picture though !?

green trees did you take off the molding for the rain guids on each side to install it? and di you pull of the rubber on the sun roof?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Heinz for the info that was asked for above.

I didn't remove any trim, I've done so much vinyl and etc. by this time I felt comfortable working around it, you just have to be precise and tuck it under the sunroof border so it looks good. The rain guides were a bit more challenging though, you have to sort of pull it tight and press it into that shape all at once which was a bit frustrating. Still it went on fine. I have noticed a few weeks later that it's starting to bubble a bit in the crease of the rain guides. You can't tell unless you are looking for this. When I get some free time and the weather is nice I'm gonna take a pin and pop the bubbles and it should lay down and be invisible.

I've gotten alot of looks and compliments from all sorts of people, I'm pretty happy with this mod, the car looks pretty tasteful but not over the top with this vinyl roofing.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Looks great! Nice job.

I'm interested in possibly doing this to my car this summer. I have a few small rust specks between my windshield and the sunroof that would cost more than a few hundred to have professionally repaired to look really good. I figure I could sand them out, primer them, and then sand lightly and apply the vinyl to the roof to hide it all.

When installing, was it easy to 'start over' if needed? Did you consider removing the rain channel trim to get more access to those areas? And, how did you tuck it under the sunroof, and front and rear windows? Credit card and just hope that it doesn't come loose?

Last question -- Does anyone know what's shinier -- SATIN or MATTE ? I don't want to go full gloss I don't think, but not matte. Is satin in the middle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When installing, was it easy to 'start over' if needed? Did you consider removing the rain channel trim to get more access to those areas? And, how did you tuck it under the sunroof, and front and rear windows? Credit card and just hope that it doesn't come loose?

Thanks!
Yes you can peel and restick as needed, though each time you do so you stretch the vinyl and in the right light you can see the stretch marks, but it's not unacceptable, it's barely noticeable. This was my first time doing a roof so it's not perfect, but it's near perfect. If I did it again I'd do a better job. I didn't think about removing the rain channel trim, though that would certainly have made that part easier, as that was the only really tricky part. For the sunroof, you just place the whole roof piece on, then cut out a rectangle for the roof (which of course is open before install), then carefully stretch it in and under. I got mine looking perfect, you just take your time. I can take some pics if you want, let me know. The vinyl is very forgiving, you can stretch it and pull creases out, using a heat gun to help with this process...just not too much heat or stretching.

For the front windshield I just cut it with a brand new artists' razor right at the windshield gasket, it meets it perfectly. You could pry the gasket up and put the vinyl under it though. As for the back windshield, I tucked it along the bevel in that area and cut. Again it takes a bit of time but can be done to near perfection pretty easily.

I used a small squeegie that I had leftover from another project, a credit card would work....but whatever you use, cover it with a soft cloth as to avoid possibly scarring the vinyl. As for it coming loose, I don't think that's an issue if the paint is pre-cleaned properly, it sticks right on. The stuff is the same nature of electrical tape, in fact it's like one huge piece of electrical tape, it goes on sticky and is pretty durable. Removing it leaves no residue as such, though after a few years I could see how the residue would be an issue, just like electrical tape after baking in the sun it gets a bit sticky if you try to pull it off.

Make sure you clean your paint properly, have brand new sharp razors, have a 2nd person to help you, and take your time. Watch the "how-to" vids on youtube for this, they were helpful to me.

Well done! I can't help but think though that if all TSX's came this way, there'd be threads showing how people painted their roof to match the car. Unique mod though, and quality work.
Ha ha yes you are right, it's all about doing something just a little different. But truly many newer cars (i.e. some Scions and Mitsus) are now coming stock with a black roof. Just like many newer cars are coming with grey wheels. It's a trend, and doing these things to my 10-year old car makes it look a bit less dated, a bit more modern. Gotta stay creative, it keeps me alive.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Awesome, thanks a lot greentrees!

I think I'll order a 5x5ft section (?????) of this and pick it up from a friend in a few weeks when we meet up in Boston. Much cheaper than shipping to Canada. ;)

I've done headlight film on my car (twice now - first time was fine but the headlights were replaced because of an accident, doh!!). Its pretty easy. I still have the 3M rubber squeegee from that, plus a few smaller ones from various cellphone screen protector install kits.

I think my only concerns are these:
1. Imperfect paint (about 4-6 stone chips just starting to show signs of rusting. Do I sand them flat and install vinyl, or, sand, prime, sand, and then install vinyl. Hrmmm...
2. Removing the rain channels can be a total PITA - the clips can break easily and are brittle. I think I can probably get away with prying them up just a hair in order to tuck the vinyl underneath.

I'm thinking glossy vinyl now. I have 20% tint (which looks even darker, being a white car). The dark windows and gloss from the glass will blend nicely with the gloss roof I think.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.