Acura TSX Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Hey Thanks for the compliments guys. I have another thread too. This one is a little more updated. I haven't done much to my system lately, I've been focusing more on my supercharger, although I want to get the N3 firmware upgrade when it comes out! Feel free to post your questions here though Jay. That way I can answer for everyone else to see.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5701

Discussion starter · #22 · (Edited)
Everonn said:
I have a feeling you're going to be my hero by the time I get my install done. Thanks for the information!

I have some confusion, though...

I just bought myself a new 06 TSX with nav. I noticed you can optionally get the aux player (cassette or mp3cd) installed as well, with the same kit you mention using in your car (or rather, one very similar...just updated for the new model year). I don't see any mention of not being able to have XM, navigation and the aux player operating at the same time, and the audio interface on the car seems to suggest it's possible.

So in looking at the SNHOND3, the device states the XM must be disconnected in order to work...and will only work in cars with navigation if the HON03-F/MM adapter is used as a "navigation pass-thru". Since my car came with XM and the nav system, this implies i can keep my nav system with the combination of these two devices but would somehow have to disconnect the XM.

Looking at the Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.2X adapter, it say it will allow you to keep the XM but not the navigation system. This is backwards from the HON03-F/MM solution, strangely.

The install instructions (attached) for the Acura "audio attachment kit" refer to the bus cable included in the kit being plugged into the spot where the "vehicle 14-pin connector" plugs into normally in the back of the factory stereo, and then the "vehicle 14-pin connector" being plugged into a port on the cassette/mp3cd player unit. In this case it seems like the player unit itself provides a pass thru for....whatever it is that "vehicle 14-pin connector" carries.

So the question is what exactly is the "vehicle 14-pin connector" used for (nav, XM or both) and what each of the two solutions (HON/AUX DMX V.2X and the HON03-F/MM adapters) allows to "pass-thru" on each of their Y-adapters.

I'm also wondering if there are differences between the 06 model TSX and previous years. For instance, the 06 has bluetooth which (if I recall correctly) is new for the 06 model. I'm wondering if there are other differences as well, like maybe better support for operating nav, XM and and aux device at the same time.

At the end of the day, I'm unplugging one cable and using a Y-adapter to plug in two devices. This can't be unusual, as it's what Acura does for an optional aux player (albeit with an internal "Y-adapter" in the player device). Why does the Logjam Electronics site indicate it's more complicated that this?
Anybody?

- Chris

This is true. If you get the SNHOND3, then you won't be able to keep the XM. No matter what you'll still be able to keep your navigation though. I have yet to hear of an adapter that makes it so you lose your navi. These passthroughs just allow audio to come through based on what device you have selected via the CD/AUX/XM button on your headunit. The reason why this is more complicated then before is because previous adapters have had problems with bleeding. Basically, if you were listening to something
hooked up through the AUX, then you might still hear the XM a little bit. Before advanced adapters like this were out, then people would kill the XM signal via relays when they were using the AUX and vice versa. These new versions of the adapters are designed to do the same thing without the need for the customer to put their own relays in. How well these things actually work is another story. If you get the new Blitzsafe, I believe it has support to allow you to keep you XM. I've heard this adapter might be a little buggy though, so do your own research before you buy it.

Everonn said:
Looking at the Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.2X adapter, it say it will allow you to keep the XM but not the navigation system.
that info is from logjam and might be stale
If I were you I'd call Blitzsafe directly and get the latest info - it seems they're making updates very often

Well, I decided to give up on the audio input converter route and am instead running a cable from RCA out of head unit in dash back to the factory aux input in the center console. I will have to drill a little hole in the center consolue to pass the wire / connector through, but it shouldn't be a huge deal. I would have preferred to have avoided doing that and have the head unit connecting in some suave fashion behind the dash, but I like my factory nav and XM radio and I don't have too much faith in the Soundgate/Blitzsafe devices not screwing that up.

- Chris

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Everonn said:
Well, I decided to give up on the audio input converter route and am instead running a cable from RCA out of head unit in dash back to the factory aux input in the center console. I will have to drill a little hole in the center consolue to pass the wire / connector through, but it shouldn't be a huge deal. I would have preferred to have avoided doing that and have the head unit connecting in some suave fashion behind the dash, but I like my factory nav and XM radio and I don't have too much faith in the Soundgate/Blitzsafe devices not screwing that up.

- Chris
I'm still not quite understanding what you want to do. Are you saying that you want to tap into the wiring that goes from the Factory HU to the Factory amp? There is no RCA output on the factory HU. Also keep in mind if you want to send a signal to the factory amp at that point, that you will need 4 channels.

Everonn said:
- Chris
me = :confused:

"a cable from RCA out of head unit in dash back to the factory aux input in the center console." :confused: :confused: :confused:

I did not mean to confuse...

There is an aux input jack (as well as power outlet) inside the center console (under my elbow when driving)...designed for an ipod or similar devices. It's got a mini headphone-type jack for connecting audio source. Instead of trying to tie in my device into the bus cable (along with the navi and XM) I am instead going to route the audio cable from the RCA out on my device to the aux input in the center console. The only thing I will need to tap into behind the dash are the two power lines (switched and unswitched) and to ground somewhere. So the device will still be mounted where I want it in the dash using the nifty install kit for mounting, but will actually be connected to the audio input jack under my elbow.

In fact, most of the work is already done. I have the player operating in my car right now, but I still have to finalize mounting position (minor tweaking) and create an alternative route for the audio cable between my player and the center console (probably through a hole that doesn't exist yet in the bottom of the storage bin there).

- Chris

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Okay..I understand now. You have an 06. I didn't know that when I posted
Yep, that's definitely the best route. This way you won't have to pay for an AUX input converter.

The only things you might run into are ground noise, which you fix with a ground loop isolator OR with your volume being too low. You can fix the low volume with a line driver though.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.