Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on getting a tsx w/o navi and was quoted 29,000. Compare to what I've seen a lot of people paid, this price is a ripp off!!! Since we only have 1 Acura dealership here in Hawaii there's not much we can do to have close to MSRP so I was thinking of purchasing one in another state and have it shipped here. Does anyone know if that would be worth it?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Welcome to the site!! :wavey:

Is the 29k after tax/title/etc.?

It really depends on how much shipping the car overseas will cost... And where/how much cheaper you can get the car for. Most I've heard was around 1k off.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Prices of TSX's have seemed to be higher in Hawaii, and people (mostly on other sites) have bitched about it. In fact, usually they wind up saying that lots of things are more expensive in Hawaii, but, what the hey, look what you get by living there. :nod:

As TRU said, it depends on the cost of shipping the car, plus (very important) whether you would have to pay anything to the state of Hawaii in the process.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I researched this and the savings is not enough to offset the risk for me. You can buy the TSX from any location, but the most logical location would be Los Angeles, San Diego, and maybe perhaps San Francisco.

1. The price you pay on the mainland should not include that state's tax, but some dealers like Thomas Acura in LA charges $500 for out-of-state sales.

2. The shipping price as quoted through Matson is $899 from LA to HNL. They don't cover the entire car in terms of insurance, and I've heard about some cars damaged in the shipping process.

3. Once in Hawaii, your car has to get cleared by the State Department of Taxation. To get this clearance, you would have to pay a 4% "Use Tax". This once again proves that the Hawaii government is stupid. Their sole purpose for the implementation of the Use Tax is so Hawaii retailers can be competitive against out of state retailers who are not subject to the Hawaii State sales tax when they are not based here... In turn, this only prevents any competitive market that may help Hawaii's overall costs. Hawaii was also dumb to instill the gas price cap. Time and time again any economist will tell you that a price cap is a very bad idea. Point proven Hawaii.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts